The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Call me crazy but is UFO disclosure near? What Role will music play if true?
Old 4th December 2019
  #3151
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
I believe this is the third try for the human race (civilization wise) maybe more.
Old 4th December 2019
  #3152
Lives for gear
 
memristor's Avatar
 

Climate change is aliens terraforming earth.
Discuss.

(11 points)
Old 5th December 2019
  #3153
Lives for gear
 
Fay Smearing's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
Climate change is aliens terraforming earth.
Discuss.

(11 points)
If they're not from here and they're engineering the planet to be like home, then TERRAforming isn't the term for they're doing.
Old 5th December 2019
  #3154
Lives for gear
 
memristor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
If they're not from here and they're engineering the planet to be like home, then TERRAforming isn't the term for they're doing.
True.
Xenoforming maybe?
Old 6th December 2019
  #3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
If they're not from here and they're engineering the planet to be like home, then TERRAforming isn't the term for they're doing.
Engineering.

Old 6th December 2019
  #3156
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Engineering.

I'm not worried.

Old 6th December 2019
  #3157
I finally had a chance to see this film. I was stoked when I watched the previews prior to the release. It turned out to be mediocre, meh!

Old 6th December 2019
  #3158
Lives for gear
Old 10th December 2019
  #3159
James T. Kirk: "Give me ion thrusters Mr. Scott!"
Scotty: "Aye cap'n."
Old 11th December 2019
  #3160
Gear Maniac
 
tweekyboo's Avatar
 

So where are all the UFOs?

How come there were so many reports in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s?

Perhaps the decrease in sightings is because everyone has access to a camera and the internet. Stories (especially made up ones) are less likely to be believed without evidence. I suspect a lot of the sightings of earlier decades were secret military craft - what better way to cover up top secret military testing than encouraging malarkey about aliens visiting the Earth. It serves a double purpose - covering up this secret testing, as well as alerting the authorities to those who may have witnessed this testing. Also a deeper insight into the psychological manipulation of a populace via the fantastical tales of the time. For example, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, bringing disparate stories into the mass consciousness of people.

Nowadays the internet can do this a lot quicker, and a lot more efficiently. However, it has the effect of separating the wheat from the chaff - identifying the rationalists from the gullible, those who believe without evidence verses those who have far higher standards of truth.
Old 11th December 2019
  #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekyboo View Post
So where are all the UFOs?

How come there were so many reports in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s?

Perhaps the decrease in sightings is because everyone has access to a camera and the internet. Stories (especially made up ones) are less likely to be believed without evidence. I suspect a lot of the sightings of earlier decades were secret military craft - what better way to cover up top secret military testing than encouraging malarkey about aliens visiting the Earth. It serves a double purpose - covering up this secret testing, as well as alerting the authorities to those who may have witnessed this testing. Also a deeper insight into the psychological manipulation of a populace via the fantastical tales of the time. For example, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, bringing disparate stories into the mass consciousness of people.

Nowadays the internet can do this a lot quicker, and a lot more efficiently. However, it has the effect of separating the wheat from the chaff - identifying the rationalists from the gullible, those who believe without evidence verses those who have far higher standards of truth.
As someone who has personally witnessed a close encounter with UFO's I agree with what you say - it was probably terrestrial- or orbital-manufactured crafts. I clearly stated this earlier in the thread.

My sighting was in the 1980's but there are still many local accounts of UFO's since. The main question outstanding is not about space or aliens or media reports; the question is: What year did the breakaway civilization start and which music streaming service do they use?
Old 11th December 2019
  #3162
Lives for gear
 
Snorktop's Avatar
 

phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

Old 12th December 2019
  #3163
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekyboo View Post
So where are all the UFOs?
How come there were so many reports in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s?
Perhaps the decrease in sightings is because everyone has access to a camera and the internet.
I once wrote a short short story where the head alien in charge of studying the Earthlings had to write a memo to all his scientists and pilots ordering them to take greater security measures because the humans now all carried cameras around.

Apparently they had been quite careless in the 1950's, but the memo ordered them to remember to turn off their flying saucer's flashing multicolored lights, for example.

Quote:
Also, a deeper insight into the psychological manipulation of a populace via the fantastical tales of the time. For example, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, bringing disparate stories into the mass consciousness of people.

One can certainly speculate as to which came first. I think many of the tropes of UFO culture may have started in entertainment, books and movies, then 'reported', then incorporated back into entertainment in a self-reinforcing cycle. The reports and the beliefs certainly do seem to follow our cultural trends more than ought to be expected from the technology of a totally "alien" culture that has been around for presumably thousands or even millions of years.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that in the 1950's, people who said they were abducted by UFOs, described being shown star maps by the aliens. But the people in the 1950's described pull-down star maps! Like the maps they would have seen when they were in school. Whereas just a few short decades later the "Aliens" are now showing the abducted humans where they come from on flat-screen TVs. It's as if the 'advanced' Aliens got Flat -Screen TVs at about the same time we did.

I wonder if recent Hollywood progress in special effects will see a trend towards more xenomorphic aliens being encountered. As a hardcore fan of science-fiction books, my greatest disappointment with Hollywood S-F was the over-reliance on "humanoid" aliens. The concept of aliens that had two arms, two legs and a head on top always struck me as limited and arbitrary - but I suppose a budgetary constraint of science-fiction movies and TV show. The "Aliens" had to be played by human actors.

Now that CGI in the movies has vastly improved, and there are fewer "rubber suit" aliens in the films, perhaps UFO reports will also begin to skew towards more exotic body types.
Old 12th December 2019
  #3164
Lives for gear
 
spaceman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweekyboo View Post
So where are all the UFOs?

How come there were so many reports in the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s?

.
ZGXHYU : "Beloved Leader, here are the reports on the lifeforms of planet Earth we have been studying for the last x-6 time periods".

GYCWXX : "Beloved Ensign, we specifically said search for INTELLIGENT lifeforms "

ZGXHYU : "Apologies Beloved Leader. Setting course now for next planet on the list"
Old 14th December 2019
  #3165
Lives for gear
 
memristor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
the over-reliance on "humanoid" aliens. The concept of aliens that had two arms, two legs and a head on top always struck me as limited and arbitrary
but the shape of humans isn't arbitrary - it's formed by evolution.



Theres a reason why the brain is located in the head, and a reason for arms and fingers, ect.
Aliens that develop technology might actually be human shaped.

Like whales are shaped much like fish, even though they are related to hippopotamuses.

And whales, even though they are social and intelligent, will never develop technology, or space travel, unless they develop a different form.
(but they won't, cause they have lost their arms and feet)
Old 14th December 2019
  #3166
Octopus-shaped is probably best for zero gravity.
Old 14th December 2019
  #3167
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
but the shape of humans isn't arbitrary - it's formed by evolution.
I am with Stephen J Gould on this one. I think there is indeed a great deal of arbitrary 'shape' in modern life forms. We are descended from the handful of species that survived the Cambrian–Ordovician extinction event. Had a different handful survived we might be "shaped" very differently.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Gould's thesis in Wonderful Life was that contingency plays a major role in the evolutionary history of life. He based his argument on the extraordinarily well preserved fossils of the Burgess Shale, a rich fossil-bearing deposit dating 505 million years ago.[3] Gould argues that during this period just after the Cambrian explosion there was a greater disparity of anatomical body plans (phyla) than exist today. However most of these phyla left no modern descendants. All of the Burgess animals, Gould argues, were exquisitely adapted to their environment, and there exist little evidence that the survivors were any better adapted than their extinct contemporaries.[4]

Gould proposed that given a chance to "rewind the tape of life" and let it play again, we might find ourselves living in a world populated by descendants of Hallucigenia rather than Pikaia (the ancestor of all vertebrates). Gould stressed that his argument was not based on randomness but rather contingency; a process by which historical outcomes arise from an unpredictable sequence of antecedent states, where any change in the sequence alters the final result.[5] Because fitness for existing conditions does not guarantee long-term survival — particularly when conditions change catastrophically — the survival of many species depends more on luck than conventional features of anatomical superiority.[6]
Pikaia is the 'flatworm' looking thing in the photo below. The thing that all fish, reptiles, mammals, and birds are descended from. Hallucigenia is the spiky guy who died out in a mass extinction along with hundreds of other shapes and body plans.


Whenever there is significant evolutionary isolation, many unusual forms appear. Most herding grazing animals follow the body plan of a gazelle, caribou or bison. But in Australia - look at the kangaroo. Even their locomotion is different. No reason why aliens might not be as different-looking from us as a kangaroo is from a gazelle. Both are 'successful' body types for very similar environments. And alien worlds may have dissimilar environments we haven't even thought of.


Quote:
Theres a reason why the brain is located in the head, and a reason for arms and fingers, ect.
there have been a few good science fiction stories where the authors put some thought into what "other" body plans might work out favorably for their owners. My favorite was Larry Niven's Puppeteers. They began their evolution as prey animals and were suited for defense. Their brain was safely tucked away in the center of their hard protected body. Their rear leg was adapted for kicking in defense. Instead of a head, they had two "arms" each one of which had an independent eye (better for watching out for predators). Each arm was also a "mouth" and could eat or drink. And the lips were full of articulated muscles that could work as "hands".

I could see how such a body plan could be very successful. In fact, it seems quite sensible to me. I think it is once again a very parochial view to assume that our body shape is "inevitable".

Aliens that develop technology might actually be human shaped. But they also might not. The assumption that they will always be is not based on enlightened speculation - it is based on the special-effects and 'drama' requirements of our fictional entertainments. Remember the "Horta" from TOS Star Trek? They were 'rock creatures' that shuffled through these tunnels. They were 'blobs'. Imagine how boring Star Trek would have been if every alien was truly alien.

If there were no hot green space chicks.


Quote:
Like whales are shaped much like fish, even though they are related to hippopotamuses.
certainly environment plays a part, but as you say, ocean going creatures are unlikely to develop technology, as it is hard to light a fire underwater. Anyway, not every planet is like our planet. On land, different ideas could all "work". Like hopping instead of galloping works. If a planet was very mountainous, maybe the better adapted creatures would be like centaurs, four legs AND two arms.

I was play-fighting with my brother's dog the other day and thought maybe it is actually a stupid body plan to have your eyes and your brain so close to your main "weapon".

And whose brilliant idea was it to place the Amusement Park so close to the Waste Disposal plant?
Attached Thumbnails
Call me crazy but is UFO disclosure near? What Role will music play if true?-horta-tos.png   Call me crazy but is UFO disclosure near? What Role will music play if true?-pikaia.png   Call me crazy but is UFO disclosure near? What Role will music play if true?-hallucigenia-model_a-paleozoo.jpg   Call me crazy but is UFO disclosure near? What Role will music play if true?-puppeteer2.jpg  
Old 14th December 2019
  #3168
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Octopus-shaped is probably best for zero gravity.
Indeed, suppose a species achieved space travel many millions of years ago. Plenty of time for them to evolve in artificially constructed ships and space stations.

And seeing that even our own species is already taking the first steps toward deliberately messing with our own DNA, this could be vastly accelerated.

We might start out slightly "tweaking" our descendants for certain environments and it would not take anywhere close to a million years to arrive at something very different, if such "evolution" was intentional.
Old 14th December 2019
  #3169
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
And whose brilliant idea was it to place the Amusement Park so close to the Waste Disposal plant?
Ah, that’s the strong form of the “town planner principle” - if there is a God, they must be a town planner ‘cos only a town planner would be dumb enough to do that.

(This originated as a commentary upon the quality of quite a lot of town planning in the UK at one time. Other countries may vary...)

As an aside, I also like some of Larry Niven’s creature design ideas, particularly the Puppeteers.
Old 14th December 2019
  #3170
Lives for gear
 
memristor's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
And whose brilliant idea was it to place the Amusement Park so close to the Waste Disposal plant?
at least this circumstance gave us an interesting psychology
Old 15th December 2019
  #3171
I watched a documentary titled Alien Armageddon today., not to be confused by the movie which has the same name.



Among different topics of discussion, there's a race of Reptilians living among us that can shape shift into a human form. During Satan worshiping ceremonies, they can revert back into their original form and appear as if they are Satan.

Old 15th December 2019
  #3172
Gear Maniac
 
bmanzer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Octopus-shaped is probably best for zero gravity.
Now that we've evolved into Octopi "What Role will music play" when arrive?

Seems guitar is out . Perhaps the 7 hole beak flute?
Old 15th December 2019
  #3173
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
I watched a documentary titled Alien Armageddon today., not to be confused by the movie which has the same name.
...

Among different topics of discussion, there's a race of Reptilians living among us that can shape shift into a human form.
handy to know


Quote:
During Satan worshiping ceremonies, they can revert back into their original form and appear as if they are Satan.
that explains all the Satan sightings, it's just Reptilian Aliens.

there was a guy here who would post "news" about the Reptilian Aliens. Reptilian Aliens have kidnapped the President, oh my! The Secret Service has rescued the President, hooray. Oh no, the Reptilian Aliens have taken over our moon base! Oh yay, the Space Marines have counter-attacked and re-taken the moon base!
Old 16th December 2019
  #3174
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triune_brain

Tom Robbins explores the r-complex in his novel Jitterbug Perfume.
Old 16th December 2019
  #3175
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww View Post
Ah, that’s the strong form of the “town planner principle” - if there is a God, they must be a town planner ‘cos only a town planner would be dumb enough to do that.

(This originated as a commentary upon the quality of quite a lot of town planning in the UK at one time. Other countries may vary...)

As an aside, I also like some of Larry Niven’s creature design ideas, particularly the Puppeteers.
I was gonna say I thought the answer was “an engineer”...cos they’re too wrapped up in logistics and engineering stuff to think about normal people and what they like?
Old 17th December 2019
  #3176
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Among different topics of discussion, there's a race of Reptilians living among us that can shape shift into a human form. During Satan worshiping ceremonies, they can revert back into their original form and appear as if they are Satan.

Slight resemblance to the Sleestak from The Land of the Lost:
Old 17th December 2019
  #3177
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Slight resemblance to the Sleestak from The Land of the Lost:
I think most UFO lore has more than a "slight resemblance" to popular entertainments.
Old 17th December 2019
  #3178
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Slight resemblance to the Sleestak from The Land of the Lost:
An even closer resemblance to a Silurian from some of the more recent Dr Who series.
Old 17th December 2019
  #3179
Lives for gear
 
Snorktop's Avatar
 

My father, who was a radar operator in the Navy in the early 50's, and the straightest guy who would never believe in UFOs, told me they would routinely get unidentified objects that would do things like turn at right angles and then zip away at thousands of miles per hour. It was a fairly common occurrence.
Old 17th December 2019
  #3180
Lives for gear
 
memristor's Avatar
 

Isn't that called electronic warfare? Disturbing the opponents radar with faux signals etc?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump