The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iStandard Producers - Anyone use this service?
Old 10th July 2009
Gear Addict

iStandard Producers - Anyone use this service?

What's up guys,

Just wanted to see if any of you are using iStandard Producers to submit to their opportunities, and if you've gotten any feedback or what your experience has been. Apparently that new "Diddy Bop" track was found/submitted through the site (I personally hate that song, but I digress). Anyway, if you use it, let us know what you think.
Old 10th July 2009
Lives for gear

u were the guy looking for placements right? You will not find them here nor PMP its a waste of money
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
u were the guy looking for placements right? You will not find them here nor PMP its a waste of money
I must disagree with you my friend. Full disclosure, the iStandard guys are friends of mine, (actually the PMP guys too :-) but the main reason they became friends of mine was because i thought they were really good at what they do and they genuinely work very hard to find opportunities for their collective of producers. I have seen many producers get placements via the iStandard network. I know this from first hand knowledge, not a third hand story. I've seen it happen. I've been sitting next to Don Di Napoli while he's on the phone with A&R guys who are hitting the site. They actively work to bring A&R's and managers to the site, and they come. I've been next to Don when he's talked to platinum selling artists managers thanking them for the placement he just for an iStandard producer on their album.

Now.... JUST LIKE IN THE REAL WORLD, probably over 90% of the people on the site wont get a big placement, because it just aint that easy. You still have to be on top of your game, etc... in the real world, probably 98% of producers who are trying arent going to get placements.

If you join a site like this expecting to get placements, thats setting your hopes too high. It can happen, but for many, probably most, it wont. If you join it to give yourself another real means of getting heard, getting to hear the beats from other producers so you know what the competition is like out there, staying on top of industry news, getting tips from the big producers, etc... than its the right move.

I have personally discovered producers that i really love via having judged a bunch of the iStandard Producer beat battles, and have given them opportunities to get on records.

Some producers are in an established camp, or know someone who knows someone, or are otherwise connected. Some producers are in their crib in Iowa going "how the hell am i ever going to reach bigger artists". The more avenues you pursue, the higher your chances are. And though times are tough for everyone, if your not willing to invest in your career, you cant expect anyone else to care about your desire for a career. I spend ALOT of money every year, hell, every month, just on songwriting. For instance, I book a studio in Midtown Manhattan 1 day a week, every week, weather i use it or not. This studio costs me a small fortune, as does parking and the commute in, etc... but it puts me in the heart of NYC and brings me into the middle of the opportunity, even tho i've got a great studio in Jersey, its easier to bring talent to NYC. Its an investment, that i hope will pay off huge. If it doesnt, i wont have regretted betting on my own talent.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

I been to 2 istandard Producer showcases, placed 2nd in this producer mini battle they had, but other than that, nothing happened for us, I figured i would get some looks after that but nothing happened. The person who placed 1st wasnt even blessed to work with artists.....

They did Have A&Rs there but still nothing happened...
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I must disagree with you my friend. Full disclosure, the iStandard guys are friends of mine, (actually the PMP guys too :-) but the main reason they became friends of mine was because i thought they were really good at what they do and they genuinely work very hard to find opportunities for their collective of producers. I have seen many producers get placements via the iStandard network. I know this from first hand knowledge, not a third hand story. I've seen it happen. I've been sitting next to Don Di Napoli while he's on the phone with A&R guys who are hitting the site. They actively work to bring A&R's and managers to the site, and they come. I've been next to Don when he's talked to platinum selling artists managers thanking them for the placement he just for an iStandard producer on their album.

Now.... JUST LIKE IN THE REAL WORLD, probably over 90% of the people on the site wont get a big placement, because it just aint that easy. You still have to be on top of your game, etc... in the real world, probably 98% of producers who are trying arent going to get placements.

If you join a site like this expecting to get placements, thats setting your hopes too high. It can happen, but for many, probably most, it wont. If you join it to give yourself another real means of getting heard, getting to hear the beats from other producers so you know what the competition is like out there, staying on top of industry news, getting tips from the big producers, etc... than its the right move.

I have personally discovered producers that i really love via having judged a bunch of the iStandard Producer beat battles, and have given them opportunities to get on records.

Some producers are in an established camp, or know someone who knows someone, or are otherwise connected. Some producers are in their crib in Iowa going "how the hell am i ever going to reach bigger artists". The more avenues you pursue, the higher your chances are. And though times are tough for everyone, if your not willing to invest in your career, you cant expect anyone else to care about your desire for a career. I spend ALOT of money every year, hell, every month, just on songwriting. For instance, I book a studio in Midtown Manhattan 1 day a week, every week, weather i use it or not. This studio costs me a small fortune, as does parking and the commute in, etc... but it puts me in the heart of NYC and brings me into the middle of the opportunity, even tho i've got a great studio in Jersey, its easier to bring talent to NYC. Its an investment, that i hope will pay off huge. If it doesnt, i wont have regretted betting on my own talent.
Haha Ken I had a feeling you would refute. I know you rep PMP and a lot of what you said above is true here is my synopsis based off first impressions and what I have heard from others:

It def serves as "myspace" type community for producers, but the problem I have with it is the major label "track dumps".

There is no way they look at every track submitted. I have heard its either you notify the A&R that you submitted through pmp (in which case whats the point your already in with them) or interns are asked to skim around during downtime.

Next issue I have is the price. $50 a month is a LOT considering most people signing up are young, broke, and just trynna get there foot in the door. I think these people can spend that $50 a month for better use, like paying to get on a plane to NYC to network at events. I gotta respect PMPs hustle though, but I think a website that actually shows people there material was reviewed by pros would be even bigger
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha Ken I had a feeling you would refute. I know you rep PMP and a lot of what you said above is true here is my synopsis based off first impressions and what I have heard from others:

It def serves as "myspace" type community for producers, but the problem I have with it is the major label "track dumps".

There is no way they look at every track submitted. I have heard its either you notify the A&R that you submitted through pmp (in which case whats the point your already in with them) or interns are asked to skim around during downtime.

Next issue I have is the price. $50 a month is a LOT considering most people signing up are young, broke, and just trynna get there foot in the door. I think these people can spend that $50 a month for better use, like paying to get on a plane to NYC to network at events. I gotta respect PMPs hustle though, but I think a website that actually shows people there material was reviewed by pros would be even bigger

There have been a couple PMP heads who have made it, but usually are "One Hit Wonders" like Apex 50cent - "I Get Money" and a few others. Amadeus is a producer from PMP and now he's on P.Diddy production team, so PMP does work. I agree with Myams, $50 is a bit much for young people, especially ones that are just starting out. Those are the type to see the word industry, and jump full steam into it without thinking it through. I have had experience with iStandard, I spoke with JHatch a couple times. They offered me to join in listening sessions with this rising group named L.E.P, I havent heard much about them after that.

But these websites do work its all about how your marketing skills are, you have to promote every chance you get, never fall off. Always stay creative.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
I been to 2 istandard Producer showcases, placed 2nd in this producer mini battle they had, but other than that, nothing happened for us, I figured i would get some looks after that but nothing happened. The person who placed 1st wasnt even blessed to work with artists.....

They did Have A&Rs there but still nothing happened...
Yeah I never got it, these beat battle guys put on these pretty impressive shows on stage and get all this crazy hype from A&Rs but you never hear from them. I guess there isn't much of an outlet for the type of beats they tend to make.

Personally from the videos I have seen I could never get down with those beat battle things- they are painful akward even to watch
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I never got it, these beat battle guys put on these pretty impressive shows on stage and get all this crazy hype from A&Rs but you never hear from them. I guess there isn't much of an outlet for the type of beats they tend to make.

Personally from the videos I have seen I could never get down with those beat battle things- they are painful akward even to watch
Yeah, I mean that's just a lesson i learned afterward, But I don't really get into it no more, as i built a nice connection game during the past year, i figured if I keep them updated on my progress i will be able to get some work in someday....
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

The problem with the beat battle stuff is how you make a transition from a beat that would win a battle to a beat that someone would actually rap over.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's up guys,

Just wanted to see if any of you are using iStandard Producers to submit to their opportunities, and if you've gotten any feedback or what your experience has been. Apparently that new "Diddy Bop" track was found/submitted through the site (I personally hate that song, but I digress). Anyway, if you use it, let us know what you think.
..................Nah don't believe the hype. Save your money for a year, year and a half and spend it on wiser self promotion but only if your stuff is competitive or better than other peoples. If your stuff is wack, PMP, istandard, or even divine interventionwill help. Hire a music lawyer with connections. There have been a few of these threads regarding PMP and the end result is always the same. Various bits of heresay from some people but Idon't actually remember anyone coming on any thread and saying "Yes I have sold beats and got placements....." The more candid higher level producers will tell you they were invited on there and they don't pay $50 dollars a month . I imagine placements they get, they would have gotten anyway. Yes people will tell you producer x,y,z got a placement through such and such a site but people will also tell you such and such a producer got placements handing a cd to P diddy, or someone else hearing a track he produced for a local rapper whose cousin knew somebody who knew so and so or in fact any number of "lucky" chance encounters.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
The problem with the beat battle stuff is how you make a transition from a beat that would win a battle to a beat that someone would actually rap over.
yeah thats another reason why i stopped doing the showcase things
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

I got served in a beat battle in NYC at the 2006 Dynamic Producer conference. Set me on a completely new course production wise and began my gear quest, amen.
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
A lot of these big beat battle tracks don't translate well when they arent being blasted on huge speakers.

Quote:
There have been a couple PMP heads who have made it, but usually are "One Hit Wonders" like Apex 50cent - "I Get Money" and a few others. Amadeus is a producer from PMP and now he's on P.Diddy production team, so PMP does work.
You are really misinformed. Both of those situations have nothing to do with PMP... Just cus people have PMP pages doesnt mean that PMP is getting them their work... Amadeus had platinum records before pmp even came out. And you are knocking someone who had a #1 record?

Quote:
Never understood this line of thinking. It's not the same as battle rapping lol.

Quote:
I think these people can spend that $50 a month for better use, like paying to get on a plane to NYC to network at events.
This is so true.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondtana View Post
You are really misinformed. Both of those situations have nothing to do with PMP... Just cus people have PMP pages doesnt mean that PMP is getting them their work... Amadeus had platinum records before pmp even came out. And you are knocking someone who had a #1 record?

Im not knocking someone a hit record, and maybe i was mis informed about them being found on PMP....And it was his only record btw
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian! View Post
Yeah I think that may be the answer
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
....And it was his only record btw
So by saying "only", do you mean it's easy to get a #1 record like that? Or he is lucky?
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Not sure how much more clearly i can say it. I have witnessed, first hand, unknown producers getting major placements specifically thru iStandardproducers.com this is not second hand information.

I have witnessed, first hand, producers who have won beat battles going on to establish very successful production careers. I dont know how much "winning the beat battle" had to do with helping establish them, but it certainly didnt hurt And if you dont see the value in getting up there and going head to head with 9 other unknown producers, as well as getting critiqued and getting advise by industry notables, then its really not for you.

None of these sites should be your only avenue you pursue. But to say its not an avenue that CAN help you is ridiculous. I've personally talked to at least a few major A&R's that use the site who told me DIRECTLY they use the site. If they dont pick your beat, there could be 1,000 reasons. your not good enough yet? your style doesnt match the style of the project? they are having a bad day? you sent 5 beats that kinda matched the project instead of only your one straight fire beat that perfectly suited the project. I mean there's a saturation point. if your sending in 5 or 10 or 20 beats for an opportunity instead of ONLY what targets absolutely best, you are contributing to the white noise, the mental fatigue, ear fatigue of the guys who are looking having to sort thru ten times more than they should have to. People are human, even artists, managers, and A&R people. So how you use these sites is just as important as who is listening on the other end.
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not sure how much more clearly i can say it. I have witnessed, first hand, unknown producers getting major placements specifically thru iStandardproducers.com this is not second hand information.

I have witnessed, first hand, producers who have won beat battles going on to establish very successful production careers. I dont know how much "winning the beat battle" had to do with helping establish them, but it certainly didnt hurt And if you dont see the value in getting up there and going head to head with 9 other unknown producers, as well as getting critiqued and getting advise by industry notables, then its really not for you.

None of these sites should be your only avenue you pursue. But to say its not an avenue that CAN help you is ridiculous. I've personally talked to at least a few major A&R's that use the site who told me DIRECTLY they use the site. If they dont pick your beat, there could be 1,000 reasons. your not good enough yet? your style doesnt match the style of the project? they are having a bad day? you sent 5 beats that kinda matched the project instead of only your one straight fire beat that perfectly suited the project. I mean there's a saturation point. if your sending in 5 or 10 or 20 beats for an opportunity instead of ONLY what targets absolutely best, you are contributing to the white noise, the mental fatigue, ear fatigue of the guys who are looking having to sort thru ten times more than they should have to. People are human, even artists, managers, and A&R people. So how you use these sites is just as important as who is listening on the other end.
The year i was in the istandard with my production UBM, we placed second, and we handed "Beat CDs" to A&Rs, but other than that nothing happened, lol as i said mad times, We still speak to JHatch and Sicamore, hopefully somehting will pop off this year!!!!
Old 11th July 2009
Lives for gear

I'm a member of istandardproducers.com and nothing happened till now, except I was talking to one big A&R that liked my music but nothing happened..
If you want to check out the music on my istandard page go to:

JanZoo: home
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Hey Ken whose dope on PMP I wanna check it out. I was listening to the features on the front page I didn't hear anything hot.
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
The year i was in the istandard with my production UBM, we placed second, and we handed "Beat CDs" to A&Rs, but other than that nothing happened, lol as i said mad times, We still speak to JHatch and Sicamore, hopefully somehting will pop off this year!!!!
just a thought, no disrespect intended whatsoever, but second place is not first place. And first place only puts you in a group of 1 of 12 first places (at least in NYC) in a given year. if you came in second, and you are writing off the battles, i think its a mistake. You should regroup, make hotter shit and enter again. Might lead to nothing. might lead to something great.

Also, just some tips for you guys handing out beat CD's. I know these things because people hand me beat CD's all the time.

- Make your CD look like you really cared about it. It doesnt have to be fancy. I give beat CD's to A&R guys with a printer printed white sleeve, my contact info, the names of the tracks, short description of of track and thats it. But its laid out nice, easy to read, no BS, no filler, without even listening an A&R guy can scan it, know from the track descriptions if he's got any projects that MIGHT be right for a certain beat, and only listen to that one or two. Saves them TONS of time and is much appreciated. If you think A&R guys have time to listen to everything they get, they dont.

- Dont put 20 beats on your CD. put 5 or 10. Trust me, if someone is really feeling those 5 or 10, they will seek out more. No filler beats. only your HOTTEST

- put your website info on the CD and on the sleeve, also email and phone number

- when i get beat CD's from people and the presentation of them doesnt look like they put any care into it, it goes into the trash. If my time is so unimportant to you, that you cant take 5 extra minutes to put proper contact info, or make the stuff look somewhat professional, why should i give you my time. Everybody on these boards has a computer and a printer. go to Staples, buy some CD sleeves, and print them out. nothing fancy, just nice, and readable.

- dont give a big folder with bio info, picture, life story. Nobody cares. really. hit em with your best music. let me know how to reach you and hear more. and leave it at that. If they dont like the music, your bio isnt going to talk them into liking you, but very well might give them too much info to even try to tackle. just a CD is fine.
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
dont give a big folder with bio info, picture, life story. Nobody cares. really. hit em with your best music. let me know how to reach you and hear more. and leave it at that. If they dont like the music, your bio isnt going to talk them into liking you, but very well might give them too much info to even try to tackle. just a CD is fine.
Go straight to business. I even think putting some cheesy lfe bio on your myspace page when you are using it to network makes you look bad
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

I can say that PMP worldwide gets up to the minute real world industry placement infomation.

Sarah Johnson my business partner/manager sets up the interviews with the labels and the track dumps...

Keep in mind thier is a lot of competition out there so everything Ken said, I would follow!

So on behalf of Conrad Dimanche, PMP is a 100% legit site and you should sign up ASAP!!!

You will get heard!

Justice
Old 12th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
- dont give a big folder with bio info, picture, life story. Nobody cares. really. hit em with your best music. let me know how to reach you and hear more. and leave it at that. If they dont like the music, your bio isnt going to talk them into liking you, but very well might give them too much info to even try to tackle. just a CD is fine.
Amen to this lol. Also, with A&R's forget about business cards too. Anything important should be attached to your MUSIC!
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear
One thing I notice listening to these is that sometimes the intro seems to take forever, and that brings up a question. Is it a good idea to start with a drop right into the hook?

I imagine A&R's who deal with beats are sick and tired of intros.
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
One thing I notice listening to these is that sometimes the intro seems to take forever, and that brings up a question. Is it a good idea to start with a drop right into the hook?

I think intro is fine if it suits the beat.. I think if you get bored of the intro it means either the intro sucks, the beat itself sucks, or both... The point is a dope beat should suck you in right away from the beginning if you are waiting around for that hook to drop its probably... whats the term im looking for... aaaiiggghhhttt. Now this doesn't mean its horrible or it wont place, its just it aint cream of the crop which is what you should be shooting for if you want to be heard.
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Ken whose dope on PMP I wanna check it out. I was listening to the features on the front page I didn't hear anything hot.
I think you need to be a member to check out other peoples material.
Old 12th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:

As someone who has gone through HUGE track dumps for Dynamic Producer, you are walking a tightrope with intros. If an intro doesnt ADD to the excitement of the beat drop, cut it.
Old 12th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I just signed up myself because a former acquaintance of mine did some stuff through iStandard a while back and got some track placements with the Boot Camp Clik. One thing I will say is there have been alot of opportunities to submit stuff to major artists up on there lately, hell even 50 is taking submissions til' Monday.

DJ Illustrious: home
Old 12th July 2009
Lives for gear

Also, keep in mind guys, just because a site like iStandardProducers or PMP or Dynamic Producer has a "Placement Opportunity" does not in any way mean that the A&R guy, or manager, or artist looking for material isnt ALSO going to reach out to every single one of their personal contacts looking for material, going to put the word out thru their channels to all the hottest already established producers looking for material, etc..... they use these sites as one possible source, not THE source.

So, young beatmakers, keep in mind, you are ALWAYS competing against the hottest producers in the industry, NOT just the hottest producers on PMP, iStandard, etc... So, if you arent getting that placement, and you wanna blame it on PMP or iStandard, you might just wanna rethink that philosophy a bit. They can only put your music into the ears of the right people, they cannot make those people pick your beats.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear