Old 14th February 2007
Gear Maniac

^Akon has good production IMO
Old 14th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neruk View Post
^Akon has good production IMO
Well, let me go ahead and get flamed.... These are all oppinions right?? (lol) thought I can't speak for Akon's latest release I've always thought he was a good producer.... I might be relying on too many of his mid-early 90 tracks that I'm sure the public hasn't been priviledged to here...

As for Em, I wouldn't call all of his productions wack (and then again I haven't even heard the Re-Up.) I liked the song he did for Jay on Blue-Print...I even liked Tupac and Biggie's "Runnin." Hell, I even liked a couple of his productions from the 8-Mile sound-track.... but I guess I must also confess that I like dark moody beats.... I'm the Sade of Hip-Hop!!!!
Old 15th February 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicemaster1500 View Post
Couldn't agree more about the fact that Eminems "productions" sounds amateurish, especially his mixes sounds thin and puny. It's like he is trying too hard.
no way man! listen to "go to sleep" with dmx and obie in a car with a dope system. that **** absolutely bangs!
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

I think he's def. got the amateur sound cuz well....... he is an amatuer right?

But- what I can't stand the most- for example on the Re-Up, I think the opening track (not sure if he actually produced it so i could be wrong here) there's no snare... just a kick n a hi hat... I sit through waitin for the snare to come to start noddin with it then that's where all my focus goes and it never comes. From what I remember there mighta been 2 or 3 tracks like that on the Re-Up... I dunno just my two pennies.

(btw- runnin was hot)
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

alot of haters in here

i think em is al right.
his production style fits the vibe he raps like.

i don't think hes trying to touch 10 diffrent styles, i think he's just doin the style he prefers.

i do hip hop,rap/rock,trip hop,neo soul and rnb, but if my rap/rock tracks became really successful i'd stay focused on that style for awhile.

em style of production is succesful for him, why should he change?

50,hova,redman,loyd banks,pac and others have used his tracks, i wouldn't change either
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Tony hit the nail on the head. The single 1-note basslines repeating on the bottom of every song... The same old dark machinegun vibe. I think he'd probably work best as a coproducer.

I was appalled when I heard Gatman and Robin... It was like "wow, they really put this on such a major release?"
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

^^ I love that new Bone / Akon song...

I hope bone makes a huge comeback
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

i hate smack that
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Eminem is very average as a producer. Most of his beatz are really corny sounding. Laffy Taffy even sounds better. Eminem's music reminds me of Flash and the Four Horseman.

And the Gatman track he did for 50.....Curtis must have lost a bet to allow Em to produce that track.
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

^^ Eminem just had to make a beat to fit 50's style of rap.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzborn View Post
e.

em style of production is succesful for him, why should he change?

50,hova,redman,loyd banks,pac and others have used his tracks, i wouldn't change either
right cause if WE were handing in those tracks to labels, we'd be getting jay-z cuts too!
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

...usually, the beat is created and the artist raps to the track. In other words, 50's rap style was dictated by the track..which is horrible. It is by far the worst single on the entire CD...IMHO of course.
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
...usually, the beat is created and the artist raps to the track.
how else?
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

People confuse success with talent and quality.
Eminem has had success as a producer, yes, but that does not make him a good producer. I'm sorry.
McDonalds has sold a lot of food. That does not make the food good!

But okay, Eminem's sound does fit today's trend... But once a new sound becomes the new trend, lets see if Eminem will still be in the game...
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

i am not saying by any means that em is the best producer,what i am saying is that since he had success why should he change,whats the motivation.

are you guys saying you prefer laffy taffy to on fire loyd banks. lean wit it rock wit it to that pac and big song.(by the way is that jonny cash sped up)
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

on fire is kwame if i'm right.
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

it was both i read the interview in scratch(or xxl)
Old 15th February 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
how else?
Are you serious with this ?

It's only in the current era of mostly wack rappers that beats are made before raps. It wasnt always like this, and rap wasnt always a producer driven industry.

You've never made music to fit lyrics?
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
It's only in the current era of mostly wack rappers that beats are made before raps. It wasnt always like this, and rap wasnt always a producer driven industry.
That's not really true... When rap was born, DJ's created beats by looping drumbreaks on turntables, and then MC's came up with rhymes and catchy phrases over them. Wasn't a "producer driven industry", but the beats still came first much of the time.

It's really no different than people writing lyrics to pre-composed music in the jazz era...
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Are you serious with this ?

You've never made music to fit lyrics?
think rap was always either dj, beatbox or producer driven. but it's a co-op realy ofcourse.

depends on what you mean by "making music to fit lyrics", but i did create tracks starting with just the acappella.
it's just i find it less effective.

i think it's easier and more natural to wrap words around a beat than the other way around.
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offender View Post
He's a wicked rapper tho. He should just focus 100% writing a classic album.
Old 16th February 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
think rap was always either dj, beatbox or producer driven. but it's a co-op realy ofcourse.

depends on what you mean by "making music to fit lyrics", but i did create tracks starting with just the acappella.
it's just i find it less effective.

i think it's easier and more natural to wrap words around a beat than the other way around.
May be less effective for you. But it works for me either way. I agree this music often came from a DJ but there was a time when rappers were more dedicated to their craft and they'd literally have books of rhymes written. (Of course this still happens some, but today the game is flooded and full of people that I dont really consider to be rappers. It's kinda like I don't call every dude that tells you to take an aspirin for a headache a doctor.)

In my experience, Rappers would hook up with a producer who'd pull out some beats and go through a few seeking one that fit, or just make one to fit the concept/lyrics.

Today I see a different story in my sessions or sessions that I've attended. I think it's partially the cause of why alot of people's rhyme schemes and cadences are boring. I think they are restricted by the music.

Again, it's only my opinion based on my experiences.
I'm not saying that lyrics ALWAYS came first but it seems today more cats come around with NOTHING written and wait for a beat to write to than before.
Old 16th February 2007
Gear Maniac

^IMO if the artist is good at writting its more effective to write while listening to the beat. Unless they are going to a consistent flow with no change ups. And while writting to a beat its easier to have switch ups to make the song more entertaining IMO.

And you said you think that some peoples rhyme schemes and candence are boring if they write to a beat? I bet its just because they arn't any good. It would be even more boring if they didnt write to a beat (and wrote to nothing instead).. then attempted to rap it to some random beat. And im sure the outcome would be pathetic.
Old 16th February 2007
Lives for gear

His beats fit the songs. They are not flashy in any way. Personally I do like some of his beats, and they sound pretty clean to me, mix wise. The blueprint song was good, obie trice's first stuff was good, his albums that he produced were good, the **** he did with 50 was good, that lloyd banks stuff was good. Do they sound kind of alike??? Well...yes they do. But the same goes for most rap producers...see Jazze Pha, Mannie Fresh, Just Blaze, Neptunes, Timbaland, Kanye West...they rarely stray from the sound they created and are known for. Neptunes always used those drums, timbaland will always use some type of filtered drums with wierd samples, just blaze almost always uses samples..usually sped up ones...Mannie Fresh beats will always have that bounce, Jazze pha will always have that live guitar thing, and that same happy ****, Kanye will always sample that old ****
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Maniac

I was speaking from experience as well...

sometimes you could write to one beat.. then flow that exact same thing better on another beat.

But when it comes to writting to a beat.. you can listen to that beat for a week straight and struggle to write 2 bars..

then listen to a new beat.. and be like HOLY **** GREAT IDEA

BAM MAGIC

but im sure you know what i mean
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Nut

(I apologize in advance for my intoxication)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
My honest opinion is his production is amateur-ish... Sorry, not trying to hate, but some of his beats would get me laughed out of the A&R's office. 50 Cent's "Gatman and Robin" is a perfect example. A weak concept and poorly executed.
I have been patiently waiting for this thread for a while. (Who caught that pun?) First of all, most tracks (certainly not all) with Em's name attached sound amateurish. All too true. That said, take a look at the additional credits on all of "Em's" productions. Luis Resto, et al. We all know how the industry works here. Yes - additional keyboards from so-and-so, but Em's the "producer"... Suuure. Maybe a producer in the rock sense (at best), but not how hip-hop gets down. People give Em too much credit when they talk **** about his producing. Talk **** about Luis Resto if you'd like, but don't be so hard on Em. Em's not a real rap producer. I'm sorry homie. One day maybe. I'm sure he's involved quite a bit though, just not so much in the "I wrote the song" sense.

On the other hand, Luis has established "Em's" sound for him pretty well. When an Em production comes on you know who it is. It's good to have your own sound. And not all of Luis' (and sometimes others like Mike) productions sound amateurish. Some of the songs are actually fairly decent (take Em's production on these credits with a MAJOR grain of salt): Superman, I'm Supposed To Die Tonight, Puke, Mockingbird, Moment Of Clarity, White America, The Way I Am, uhhh - I'm starting to stretch the definition of producer here. I'll stop. I like some of the songs with Em's name on em. In the end though, until Em can do some **** like sit down by himself and stand up with the framework for a song like Position of Power he can reel in the ego a bit and give some more shine to those that write the songs with his name on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfguard View Post
i like gatman and robin . the only track on that cd i liked. otherwise, i aggree.
There's plenty of room in music for having one's own opinion, even if other people have different opinions. I'm sorry, but if you really believe Gatman & Robin is the best song (instrumental) on The Massacre then I'd recommend every label pay you big money for advice so they can do the exact opposite of everything you say, all the time. I am not one to ever call someone out, because opinions are opinions, but are you fukking crazy? Gatman & Robin is not only the worst production on The Massacre by a large margin, but also one of the worst productions on a major in years (that I can think of off hand). Your post is so bananas that I think it might have been a joke because you were bored.

Just to prove my point, in particular order (close enough):
Position Of Power (Produced By Jonathan ''J.R.'' Rotem)
Ski Mask Way (Produced By Disco D)
I'm Supposed To Die Tonight (Produced By Eminem) [how'd this one happen?!]
In My Hood (Produced By C. Styles & Bang Out)
Ryder Music (Produced By Hi-Tek)
So Amazing (Feat. Olivia) (Produced By Jonathan ''J.R.'' Rotem)
Hate It Or Love It Remix (Feat. G-Unit) (Produced By Cool & Dre)
Outta Control (Produced By Dr. Dre & Mike Elizondo)
Gunz Come Out (Produced By Dr. Dre & Mike Elizondo)
Candy Shop (Feat. Olivia) (Produced By Scott Storch)
Get In My Car (Produced By Hi-Tek)
God Gave Me Style (Produced By Needlz)
I Don't Need Em (Produced By BuckWild)
A Baltimore Love Thing (Produced By Cue Beats)
Build You Up (Feat. Jamie Foxx) (Produced By Scott Storch)
Just A Lil Bit (Produced By Scott Storch)
This Is 50 (Produced By Black Jeruz & Sha Money XL)
Piggy Bank (Produced By Needlz)
Disco Inferno (Produced By C. Styles & Bang Out)
My Toy Soldier (Feat. Tony Yayo) (Produced By Eminem)
Gatman And Robbin' (Feat. Eminem) (Produced By Eminem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
Laffy Taffy even sounds better.
Laffy Taffy is the worst song ever produced in the history of professionally released music. I'm not speaking in hyperbole for effect. I've put a lot of thought into this and I am dead serious that it is the single worst song of all time, in every measurable area. I would go as far to say that Laffy Taffy has hurt black people in America as a race. Laffy Taffy is so incredibly bad in every way that it makes the world painted by the movie "Idiocracy" look like a utopia.
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post

Laffy Taffy is the worst song ever produced in the history of professionally released music. I'm not speaking in hyperbole for effect. I've put a lot of thought into this and I am dead serious that it is the single worst song of all time, in every measurable area. I would go as far to say that Laffy Taffy has hurt black people in America as a race. Laffy Taffy is so incredibly bad in every way that it makes the world painted by the movie "Idiocracy" look like a utopia.
I think that "fried chicken" song is a contender for wackest evah
Old 17th February 2007
Gear Nut

He's HORRIBLE!!!!!
Old 17th February 2007
Lives for gear

He did produce my buddy for G unit, so i guess he had 1 good track under his belt, i thought the track was dope

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search