Old 23rd August 2005
jordan19
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
He also describes the fundemental insanity it is to be a creature that has the
capacity to dream and create, producing symphonies and ballet and architecture
while simultaneously being aware that we will rot in the earth like dead
squirrels in a relatively short period of time.
I would wonder how helpful it is to contemplate on such a thing. If you consider yourself to be a finite being in a finite universal existence, then is it actually liberating to confront your inevitable fate? And, if not, is denial the only other option? The book does sound interesting, but from your synopsis it kind of sounds like a depressing dismal outlook

To me, Eastern philosophy and Buddhism (Chan, in particular in my case) picks up where every other religion and western school of thought falls short. I used to be so drawn to western philosophy- intellects driving the ever constant pursuit of analytical dissection. But I found that the paradox is that this chase only perpetuates a cycle of question and answer, rather than realization. The answers you find only amount to the premise of your next question. There's so little finality in your logic-based self-evaluation and philosophical conclusions. And depending on what it is you're searching for, you begin to ask yourself if perhaps you're looking for answers in the wrong places. What are answers, if they only foster more questions?

So Buddhism--to me at least--transcends the intellect. It isn't "a" logic or a formulaic thought process, since its foundations do not depend on analysis and comparison.

I guess for me, I wouldn't be able to find any liberation in confronting death through means of logic only, since the acceptance of death in and of itself is only a mere platform for even heavier and more burdensome questions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search