The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who's going to buy Kung Fu Hustle today?
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

Who's going to buy Kung Fu Hustle today?

i'm bout to hop on the bus to target myself
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

You should have gone to Chinatown. The shops here in NYC had it right before it hit the theatres - it was only $11.99. Great film. thumbsup

"Kung Fu Mahjong" is just out but I passed on that one.
Old 10th August 2005
Gear Addict

yeah, i know
but i wanted to wait
gave me something to anticipate
you can get ANYTHING in china town
Old 10th August 2005
thumbsup ha, that movie is great, laughed for hours
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

is it coming out on PSP? if so i'm there!
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

I bought a copy of Kung Fu hustle in Hong Kong, for the amazing low low street price of $10 US

Has anyone seen God of Cookery?
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Nut

God of cookery 1,2 or 3?

LOL

The original is awesome.

see if you can track down 'bilion dollar man'. It's been out a few years but it's hilarious.

My wife is from Hong Kong so I was introduced to Stephen Chow movies a quite few years ago ( I now have stephen chow, dimsum and my daughter to thank her for) . Good to see him making it big outside of 'the east'.

I hope he doesn't go to Hollywood and start to suck like John Woo or Jackie Chan.

If you're looking for a good HK action flick track down 'infernal affairs'.

It's really hard to find HK films on legit DVD's here but you can get non-legit
copies for as low as $4-5 canadian.

Jeff
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

My cousin made me watch IA when I was in Hong Kong. It made me realize what I had been missing in american action films...

I'll have to look for Billion dollar man...

yes, Stephen Chow is brilliant... I enjoy his use of social issues, and the way he quotes other movies... the bruce lee goalie "you will provide us inspiration for generations..." or something like that.. made me laugh and cry

I find it easiest to find legit chinese dvds online, and in china town... and from cousins in HK
Old 11th August 2005
jordan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkshort

I hope he doesn't go to Hollywood and start to suck like John Woo or Jackie Chan.
Yeah what the hell happened to John Woo. That guy used to do great films... now it's, corny Ben Affleck Paycheck movies.

Ah well.

Not a huge fan of Jackie Chan either. Jet Li is cool... although neither of them are exactly Bruce Lees.
Old 11th August 2005
Gear Addict

"Infernal Affairs" is great.

Also amazing are the Pak Chan-Wuk films from Korea -

"Oldboy"
"Joint Security Area"
"Sympathy For Mr. Vengence"
Old 11th August 2005
Lives for gear

its not really fair to compare them, as they both followed different paths...

From the ages of 11-17 when he retired, jet li was the All-around national wushu champion of china... after which he began his movie career

Bruce Lee was an actor from the age of 6 on, with brief periods of time devoted to study (wing chun/ chinese boxing/ degree in philosophy)

However Bruce Lee did live in period when his talents would never be recognized or celebrated, leaving him with second rate parts (here in america) and only a taste of the success that he would realize later in Hong Kong...

Bruce Lee - American Kung Fu golden child
Jet Li - Chinese Kung Fu (Wushu) golden child

it would be a good fight...
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Nut

Reminds me of a public school battle (3rd grade maybe?) about the fictional fight to end all fights- this actually led to several fights at school

Hulk vs. Bruce Lee

My money was on bruce!

As for movies....

Naked Killer is great (hot asian chick assasins)

Battle royale (think it's japanese). school kids stranded on an island based reality show where the last one left alive gets off the island (anything with a school girl on school girl fight with an icepick is ok in my books)
Old 12th August 2005
Lives for gear

Superman vs. The Incredible Hulk

McGuyver (with a warehouse full of objects (both electrical and mechanical), and a 15 min. head start) vs. Hercules

the ninja from Shinobi vs. the ninja from Ninja Gaiden

Batman vs. Daredevil

after a while they all blend together durring the shouting match that quickly follows the attempted discussion...

oh well... Green Lantern would destroy them all... heh
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Nut

Green Latern!

No way dude. Bruce would put on that hype yellow jumpsuit he has and stomp his ass!

LOL

Oddly enough we were debating the merits of cannonball run vs. smokey and the bandit today.

I was over the moon a few years ago when i was in brooklyn vinyl shopping and found the wall of pirate kung fu flicks and managed to eyeball the 5 deadly venoms!

So which is more bad-ass........snake, lizard, toad, scorpion...oh crap Someone help me please...what was the 5th venom?
Old 12th August 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
So which is more bad-ass........snake, lizard, toad, scorpion...oh crap Someone help me please...what was the 5th venom?
The Centipede
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Green Latern!

No way dude. Bruce would put on that hype yellow jumpsuit he has and stomp his ass!

maybe.. but only if bruce developed a serious case of cirrhosis of the liver, and was able to weild some kind of yellow laser beam... heh heh heh heh heh

besides, Mr Lee wouldn't b able to catch the green lantern, which leads them to a stale mate, a waiting contest if you will...

after an indeterminite amount of time, Bruce Lee would sucumb to old age and eventually death, leaving the Green Lantern as the victor, due to technical win.
Old 13th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone here familiar with the Depth Charge track that samples the trailer for this? Very kool.

Totally remember fights like that, Lewis! Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

Didn't buy Kung Fu Hustle, but I did buy 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. heh

Peece,
T. Tauri

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search