The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SONY MUSIC IN ACTION
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMNYC

so lemme see if i get what you're saying... you're saying the music biz is a screwed up game and if you want to play, well one of the games you play is payola, like it or not.
it's an accepted and expected practice, deal with it.
Yes sir, that's what I mean.

Nothing is fair in this world. And unfortunately it's more a matter of luck (being at the right place at right time kind of thing) rather than talent kind of thing to make it on mainstream.

The funny part is, that everyone right here pissing over payola , wouldn't say a word if they where at the other side of the fence. I don't think many major artists argue with CEO's that their songs should NOT go through the payola process, and how wrong it is. So yes, it is fair/unfair depending on what side of the fence you are at. Like everything in life.
Old 8th August 2005
Gear Nut

It's not an acceptable or legal practice. That's why it's being investigated.
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear chick
It's not an acceptable or legal practice. That's why it's being investigated.
Well then everything in the major record process should be investigated. Starting with confusing interns with slaves hahahaa
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
The funny part is, that everyone right here pissing over payola , wouldn't say a word if they where at the other side of the fence. I don't think many major artists argue with CEO's that their songs should NOT go through the payola process, and how wrong it is. So yes, it is fair/unfair depending on what side of the fence you are at. Like everything in life.
fair enough.
i'm not gonna sit here and tell you that if someone was gonna give me a leg up i wouldn't consider it, and yes if the circumstances are right i would go for it.

BUT, those circumstances cannot be illegal of hurt someone else.

and no, i'm not saying this because i walk on some higher moral ground, it's just that i've been on this rock long enough to know that sh_t DOES come back and bite you in the ass.

but yes, i do believe it's wrong.

that said, i do understand where you're coming from, even if don't fully partake of your view.

peace!

FM

FM is deconstructing deconstructionism.
Old 8th August 2005
500 series nutjob

sadly i fear their will always be those who choose to be immoral, and show a blatant lack respect, why simply because, well, every one else dose, why not.
two wrongs do not make a, you know, you have heard it all before, and just don't care.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

All i'm really saying is that there are way more important "wrong-doings" from the majors than the payola part. For example, Ashlee Simpson. The guy who signed her deserves prison. That **** is inmoral. hahaha

Seriously though, about the payola discoussion. What about the radio stations accepting this ? Shouldn't they be put in prison as well ? The clear channel thing worries me more than payola.
Old 9th August 2005
jordan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
The clear channel thing worries me more than payola.
It's all tied in buddy.

The government has been investigating ClearChannel for a longass time, since they lost that colossal david vs. goliath lawsuit last year or something.

Greed. That's what all this comes down to.

(By the way... that passport video was hilarious )
Old 9th August 2005
There is only one

i can read past like post 7 on this thread but had to say to Jose.... thats fine you agree with it, but as an artist.... do you really want to be spending YOUR money on it? i mean that is what they REALLY are doing... its money YOU have to recoup for them, its not like it isnt coming out of your pocket as the artist in some way shape of form.

wouldnt you rather it not exist and NOT have to recoup that money as an artist? i mean you would make royalties a LOT sooner if payola didnt exist and not have to sell anywhere NEAR as many rekkids.
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
i can read past like post 7 on this thread but had to say to Jose.... thats fine you agree with it, but as an artist.... do you really want to be spending YOUR money on it? i mean that is what they REALLY are doing... its money YOU have to recoup for them, its not like it isnt coming out of your pocket as the artist in some way shape of form.

wouldnt you rather it not exist and NOT have to recoup that money as an artist? i mean you would make royalties a LOT sooner if payola didnt exist and not have to sell anywhere NEAR as many rekkids.
First of all, I don't have wet dreams of being rich. I wouldn't mind a Ferrari sometime in life, but that's because I love cars. I'm not a show off "got into music because he thinks it's going to make him rich" kind of guy. And I with all honesty think I'm probably one of the most humble guys in this forum.

I say this because I don't want to give this impression after I say the next lines...

FAME is one of the most profitable businesses someone could embark on. Payola is a investment on your own fame. If I have to pay for that, or go into a huge debt that will not be recouped with album sales, because it will not.. my fame with a smart manager, will make me way richer than my record sales.

This is a strictly business point of view. I'm not saying it's right, or it's wrong.. but the real business is your celebrity status or fame. The restaurants you will open, your clothing lines, the huge arenas that you will fill on world wide tours.. etc.. that's where the real deal money is. And payola is and will be very important in the process of making you famous. Simple marketing tool.

Ok, you will say then why are so many famous people broke ? Well, my answer is for the same reason many one time millionaires are broke. BAD BUSINESS SKILLS! Or dirty managers that fuked you up.

The business is not in the music. The business, is in the BUSINESS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search