The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
face facts, chapelle's thru
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

face facts, chapelle's thru

NEW YORK - Time to face the facts: Dave Chappelle's hit Comedy Central series isn't coming back, says one of its stars. "`Chappelle's Show' is over, man. Done," comic Charlie Murphy told TV Guide. "It took me a long time to be able to say those words, but I can say it pretty easy now, because it's the truth."

Chappelle's sudden "spiritual retreat" to South Africa on the eve of his show's third season has left the series in limbo since May. About half of a new season had been filmed before Chappelle left, Murphy said.

"I'm disappointed it ended the way it did, but I'm not angry with anybody," he said. "`Chappelle's Show' was like the Tupac of TV shows. It came out, it got everybody's attention, it was a bright shining star, but it burned out and for some strange reason, it burned out quick."

Comedy Central has always said the door is open for Chappelle to return, spokeswoman Aileen Budow said Wednesday.

Network chief Doug Herzog met with Chappelle on June 3, but that has been their last communication, she said.

Murphy, the older brother of comic Eddie Murphy, said his two seasons with Chappelle made him a star.

"Now I can go out and do stand-up," he said. "I'm getting movie offers. It's off the hook. Me getting to the next level or whatever's going to happen is going to come from the next things I do, but `Chappelle's Show' served its purpose and I'll always be grateful."
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

I hope he gets it together.... Chapelle show was the best on TV.

Hows about that KKK dude sketch? That shti was so funny I almost DIED laughing.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Does anybody know why he is just quiting his 50 million dollar show?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

i don't know for sure... but i've head him say he didn't like the way $50 million made people around him act...

(for $50 million, heck for 1/10th of that, i could buy daniel lanois' neve off of ebay and put up big doors w. padlocks on 'em!!!)

i wonder if he will regret this decision...

but i remember the first time i saw chapelle show, (the one w. wayne brady), i thought "this is a very high quality show in terms of production values"

it's almost like he's making a new movie every week, w. new characters, storyboarding, location shots, etc... memorable ones for me are the playa hatas, prince and rick james (of course), etc. etc...

maybe he just got burned out? the guy from sopranos gets 2 or 3 years in between seasons... maybe chappelle should have been every other year?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search