The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is a low end studio to do about clients with ****ty beats?
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

What is a low end studio to do about clients with ****ty beats?

I'm no longer working in a professional studio, but when I was (still need to update my sig) we had about 50% of our Hip-Hop clients bringing in beats that were obviously just sampled from 50 Cent or Eminem songs. They'd even admit to it.

I'd say about 45% of the clients brought in really bad beats that some 'Producer' that they knew made on their PC in Fruitloops or Reason. They'd often bring in this stuff on a really nasty sounding 2-track recording that was distorted to hell, and then they'd want the whole thing relooped to their lengths. Thank god for Beat Detective.

The other 5% actually made their own beats and recorded a good bit of it in the studio. Decent sounding stuff most of the time.

What do you guys do when the beats that you get in that these guys (or girls) will be using are simply horrible? Many of these guys were coming in to this studio simply because they didn't have the money to go elsewhere, and they certainly didn't have the money for decent beats. Quite a few of the guys loved the way i mixed their vocals to them as well, but I couldn't stand for them to put my name on any of it. I don't think i've EVER had a hip-hop project that I was actually proud of from an engineering standpoint because i was building a house on a foundation of ice in florida.

I guess on the Rock and Roll side you've got the guys that can't play. On the hip hop side you've got people with bad beats.
Old 2nd August 2005

Hi Tibbon,

You should tell them that their sh!t isn't hot... and that they should try to get some better beats before wasting money on studio time. Unless they are doing it for a mixtape, in which case sounding horrible is the norm and it doesn't matter.

Honesty.... it won't make you more money, but they will respect you more for it. If they got some money, you can call me and I can throw them a beat or two that was tracked properly and make your job a lot easier.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I have a lot of people bring me a bounced down instrumental track that is like .01 db from being in the red that i can't even EQ...drives me nuts. It's almost impossible to add vox and process their track in any way without it getting nasty sounding.

So I know where you're coming from... You should definitely explain to them what's wrong with the beats (at least the fact that it's distorted, and ask if you could get the producer to bounce the drums, synths, bass seperately). Hopefully you'll have a few of your own beats ready to play side by side with what they've got so they understand what's wrong with it...and when they hear the difference, you can make some $$$ off the situation.

If you don't make beats, maybe you should invest in some loop cds so you can grab some loops and throw something together for them really quick...
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

any improvements?
Old 9th November 2010
EDF
Gear Addict
Help them out, get a list of producers you can easily contact with leasable tracks and help them grow as artists.
Old 9th November 2010
Gear Addict

My Opinion...
I do not open my studio to outside clients. But if I did and they came in to record crap, I'd allow them to record crap unless they were paying me for my opinion. Remember that everyone thinks their own baby is beautiful, and when someone shows you a picture of their newborn, I would find it hard to believe anyone would say... 'WOW... kinda looks like a cross between Stewie from Family Guy and a miniature Jabba the Hut.

If they just pay you to record and mix, record and mix.
If they're paying you to produce, take on the role and constructively assist them in achieving their goal.
Old 9th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixHitz View Post
My Opinion...
I do not open my studio to outside clients. But if I did and they came in to record crap, I'd allow them to record crap unless they were paying me for my opinion. Remember that everyone thinks their own baby is beautiful, and when someone shows you a picture of their newborn, I would find it hard to believe anyone would say... 'WOW... kinda looks like a cross between Stewie from Family Guy and a miniature Jabba the Hut.

If they just pay you to record and mix, record and mix.
If they're paying you to produce, take on the role and constructively assist them in achieving their goal.
Yep.
Old 9th November 2010

This thread was started over 5 years ago...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search