The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bolton is America's New U.N. Ambassador
Old 1st August 2005
  #1
jordan19 
Guest
Bolton is America's New U.N. Ambassador

Just what we need. Another American throwing his weight around and bullying the international community.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050801/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Attached Thumbnails
Bolton is America's New U.N. Ambassador-bolton.jpg  
Old 1st August 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
David R.'s Avatar
 

Hopefully the rest of the world will know that he did not receive the support of our Senate. I believe Bush is known to be a dolt internationally, and because he bypassed the normal selection process, Bolton should not receive the respect normally afforded to one in that position.

Think blue, 2008.
Old 1st August 2005
  #3
jordan19 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.
...and because he bypassed the normal selection process, Bolton should not receive the respect normally afforded to one in that position.
Therein lies the problemo my friend. We needed a representative who COULD command respect so we could get the stuff done that needs to be done, most of which is fairly pressing.

So which is worse- the United States being represented by an ass? Or having a United States representative treated like one? I'm no fan of Bolton, but let's hope he IS able to get some respect no matter how little he deserves it, because there are some high stakes here coming up.
Old 1st August 2005
  #4
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

i didnt vote for the idiot [in "charge"]... not my fault.
Old 1st August 2005
  #5
Gear Guru
Once again, Bush's position is "f*ck you" to anyone who disagrees with him

Can anyone look at a picture of Bolton and not think "Got Milk"?
Old 1st August 2005
  #6
Gear Nut
 
MusicSh*tty's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
Just what we need.
Depends on your idea of what we need. I see the need for a rep. being there to let the rest know that the tail will not be wagging the dog.

Besides, the UN is just another corrupted, political, bureaucratic, money-laundering hellhole. I hate to see American dollars go there and I hope we never pay our bill.

Old 2nd August 2005
  #7
jordan19 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSh*tty

Besides, the UN is just another corrupted, political, bureaucratic, money-laundering hellhole.
They have their faults heh But why contribute to the corruption and bureaucratic hellhole by appointing another bureaucratic corrupt monster as a representative?

The Bush admin can slam the demmies for playing partisan politics on this nomination, but I whole-heartedly agree with them on this one.

We're alienated enough, thanks to this administration. Not to mention that now we've got a representative who doesn't have the support of the people he's representing. And if he doesn't have the support of the people he's representing, why the should the U.N. take him seriously?

Bush screws up, yet again. He should've just dropped Bolton weeks ago when it was clear he'd never get an up-down vote, and moved on to someone who wasn't so much like himself, (someone who uses their power to push their agenda.)
Old 2nd August 2005
  #8
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
Not to mention that now we've got a representative who doesn't have the support of the people he's representing.
Not to mention he lied to the senate-


http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050729/...ia_leak_bolton
Old 2nd August 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 
themaidsroom's Avatar
 

thanks jordan for the picture of our president. i always like to look at him even
though i voted for the boring guy... a friend of mine here in nyc has painted
over 100 portraits of our president.........
i was in europe a few times last year - i think people know how
divided we are about george

you gotta admit, in terms of facial expressions he's tops, especially when
he's standing next to blair, and blair's talking and he's moving his
eyebrows a little bit to make people think he has the concentration
to actually listen to what blair is saying.....................

i saw another great painting of bush this morning postered on a building
at street leval - he looked like a maniacal child - he was smiling - was holding a missle
and below him was a board game called LETS PLAY ARMAGEDDON!!

be well

- jack
Old 2nd August 2005
  #10
jordan19 
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
especially when
he's standing next to blair, and blair's talking and he's moving his
eyebrows a little bit to make people think he has the concentration
to actually listen to what blair is saying.....................
Hahaaa! That's hilarious!

I would've laughed even harder at that statement if it wasn't so true.

But Cob is the one to thank for all the classic Bush poses. (Current avatar )
I put that photo up because of Bolton's facial expression.... it's that freaking mustache! His face is just annoying looking... this tiny little weasel hiding behind a Harley-Biker-wannabe mustache. dfegad
Old 2nd August 2005
  #11
jordan19 
Guest
Question Am I the only one that sees the striking resemblance?

I knew he reminded me of someone. He's a real life Ned Flanders.
Attached Thumbnails
Bolton is America's New U.N. Ambassador-bolton.jpg  
Old 2nd August 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 

David R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.
Hopefully the rest of the world will know that he did not receive the support of our Senate. I believe Bush is known to be a dolt internationally, and because he bypassed the normal selection process, Bolton should not receive the respect normally afforded to one in that position.

Think blue, 2008.

David,

Before you get excited do some research of your own and don’t just listen to the left wing liberal press. Bolton does have the majority support from the Senate. The reason Bush bypassed the normal selection process is because of a handful of Democrats who would not allow Congress to give Bolton an up or down vote. The appointment constituted what is known as a recess appointment. It ended a five-month impasse with Senate Democrats. The Constitution gives Bush the power to fill vacancies without Senate approval while Congress is in recess. "The abuse of power and the cloak of secrecy from the White House continues," Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., said of the Bolton appointment. I find it funny that Kennedy calls this practice an abuse of power when Bush does it, but did you hear him whine when Clinton exercised this same practice over 200 times while he was in office? Think about it…
Old 2nd August 2005
  #13
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Robb
David,
Bolton does have the majority support from the Senate. The reason Bush bypassed the normal selection process is because of a handful of Democrats who would not allow Congress to give Bolton an up or down vote.
Bolton was not held up by 'partisan delaying tactics by a handful of senators.' 44 senators objected to giving Bolton a vote until the administration gave the Senate information to which it was entitled (the administration never did) -- hardly a handful. One of Bolton's leading opponents was (R-Ohio) Sen. George Voinovich -- hardly a democratic partisan. Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), said a recess appointment "would weaken not only Mr. Bolton but also the United States".....

The Senate vote of 54-38 fell six votes short of the 60 votes needed to end the filibuster and advance the nomination to a confirmation vote. So it doesn't matter that a 'majority' support him...That's not how the system works.

Bolton is the first ambassador to the UN ever installed by recess appointment.
Bill Clinton made a recess appointment of Bill Lan Lee as assistant attorney general for civil rights, when it became clear that Lee's strong support of affirmative action would lead to Senate opposition. Also, when the Senate did not vote (the republican congress wouldn't give him an 'up or down vote'....sound familiar?) on his nomination of James Hormel to be Ambassador to Luxembourg, Clinton made a recess appointment. Many people felt that the Senate's inaction was because Hormel was openly gay, and when he was appointed became the first such person to serve as a U.S. ambassador. These types of appointments are a far cry from Boltons situation....

You parrot the right wing talking points and tell others not to do what you yourself are doing. Real smart- and very typical.
Old 2nd August 2005
  #14
Gear Guru
The Senate has different rules than the House because the Senate is inherently less democratic. California has more than 50 times the population of Wyoming. so it has more than 50 times as many representatives. But both states have the same two Senators. Therefore, a supermajority can be required for some decisions.

Quote:
According to the Census Bureau's July 2004 population estimates, the 44 Democratic senators represent 148,026,027 people; the 55 Republican senators 144,765,157. Vermont's Jim Jeffords, an independent who usually votes with the Democrats, represents 310,697. (In these calculations, I evenly divided the population of states with split Senate delegations.)
Add in the fact that 48% of the country voted for Kerry, and it cannot be called democracy for Bush to tell the Democrats to just piss off.
Old 2nd August 2005
  #15
jordan19 
Guest
i guess nobody agrees with the ned flanders resemblence heh
Old 2nd August 2005
  #16
Guest 
Guest
I think this guy was a bad call.
I also think the U.N. is a big joke and requires no effort on the part of the US.
Maybe that is the message we are trying to send.

Quote:
Once again, Bush's position is "f*ck you" to anyone who disagrees with him
This is where I have issue. I disagree with Bush on most but, I am delighted to see a statesmen in our goverment. We have way to many pandering politicians.
People who do what they think is right are leaders.
In the US we vote for those who make us the best promises. The promises that will impact our little myopic picture. And we do not vote for those who want to really improve the situation. Why? because fixing this mess will be painful to someone, somewhere. It is idiotic.

I think as a country we are not used to picking people who will change things. We are much more used to the "buisness as usual" types and they are easy to pick.

I think we need more "I'll do what I believe is right" types AND the skill to better pick them.


I just wish Bush was a statesman I agreed with more.



dfegad UN!!!!!
It has no power, no purpose, and no ethics in its own buisness.
We should have just pulled out instead of wasting more tax dollars on it.




D
Old 2nd August 2005
  #17
Lives for gear
 
David R.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Robb
David,

Before you get excited do some research of your own and don’t just listen to the left wing liberal press.

Damn you Fox news, poisoning my mind with your liberal bias.

lib·er·al

adjective*
1.*broad-minded:*tolerant of different views and standards of behavior in others

Is this really such a bad thing?
Old 2nd August 2005
  #18
Lives for gear
 
doorknocker's Avatar
Isn't that friggin' ironic? Bush first overthrowing UN rule and invading Iraq and now he's overthrowing the US senate for appointing his UN Ambassador candidate.
True democracy!

It's Bush's 'Pretzel Logic' at work again. Is he able to spell 'Ambassador' at all?

The arrogance of this ersatz cowboy is just beyond belief. fuuck

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 3rd August 2005
  #19
jordan19 
Guest
Talking Top 10 Bush Quotes. Can You Believe This Guy Is Our President?!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
Is he able to spell 'Ambassador' at all?
www.doorknocker.ch

1.
Question: "When you're not talking about politics, what do you and your father talk about?"
Bush: "Pussy."
(To David Fink of the Hartford Courant, at the 1988 Republican Convention, Salon, 9th April 2000)
...so i guess all that religious fervor really is just an act
heh

2.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" —Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000

3.
"My pan plays down an unprecedented amount of our national debt." -George W. Bush, in his budget address to Congress, Feb. 27, 2001

4.
"Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment." -George W. Bush, Jan. 2001

5.
"Then I went for a run with the other dog and just walked. And I started thinking about a lot of things. I was able to - I can't remember what it was. Oh, the inaugural speech, started thinkin through that." -George W. Bush, in a pre-inaugural interview with U.S. News & World Report

6.
"The Ambassador and the General were briefing me on the....the vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world. And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice." George W.Bush, 28th October, 2003

7.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

8.
"I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to answer questions. I can't answer your question." George W Bush, Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

9.
"These people don't have tanks. They don't have ships. They hide in caves. They send suiciders out." George W. Bush, speaking about terrorists, Portsmouth, N.H., Nov. 1, 2002

10.
Bush: "I talked to my little brother, Jeb - I haven't told this to many people. But he's the governor of - I shouldn't call him my little brother - my brother, Jeb, the great Governor of Texas."
Jim Lehrer: "Florida."
Bush: "Florida. The state of the Florida."
News Hour With Jim Lehrer, PBS, 27th April 2000

.......And some not so funny quotes.......

"Boy, they were big on crematoriums, weren't they?" George W Bush, after touring the Auschwitz death camp, Chicago Sun-Times, 29th January 1992

"You're all going to hell." George W Bush joking about what he would say to Israeli Jews upon arriving in the Middle East in 1993, Austin-American Statesman, 1st December 1998

"I will never apologise for the United States of America - I don't care what the facts are." George W Bush at a press conference introducing the Coalition of American Nationalities, 2nd August 1988
Attached Thumbnails
Bolton is America's New U.N. Ambassador-bushmix.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2005
  #20
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpasch
I think this guy was a bad call.
I also think the U.N. is a big joke and requires no effort on the part of the US.
Maybe that is the message we are trying to send.


This is where I have issue. I disagree with Bush on most but, I am delighted to see a statesmen in our goverment. We have way to many pandering politicians.
People who do what they think is right are leaders.
In the US we vote for those who make us the best promises. The promises that will impact our little myopic picture. And we do not vote for those who want to really improve the situation. Why? because fixing this mess will be painful to someone, somewhere. It is idiotic.

I think as a country we are not used to picking people who will change things. We are much more used to the "buisness as usual" types and they are easy to pick.

I think we need more "I'll do what I believe is right" types AND the skill to better pick them.


I just wish Bush was a statesman I agreed with more.



dfegad UN!!!!!
It has no power, no purpose, and no ethics in its own buisness.
We should have just pulled out instead of wasting more tax dollars on it.




D
consistency is not a virtue if you are consistently wrong.
Old 3rd August 2005
  #21
There is only one
 
alphajerk's Avatar
 

man, those pics are utterly hilarious!
Old 3rd August 2005
  #22
Gear Guru
 
lucey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicSh*tty
Depends on your idea of what we need. I see the need for a rep. being there to let the rest know that the tail will not be wagging the dog.

Besides, the UN is just another corrupted, political, bureaucratic, money-laundering hellhole. I hate to see American dollars go there and I hope we never pay our bill.



The UN is an experiment in cooperation on the largest and most difficult scale ... it's not perfect, or even close ... but it's better than nothing and it has it's moments. Mostly it's an idea ... and even as a practical failure form time to time the IDEA lives on as a POTENTIAL standard. That's the value.


Bush was a sneaky bastard (again) with this confirmation ... a poor example of cooperation and statesmanship himself.

If leadership means pusing around your weight and circumventing the democratic process in the US .... while preaching Democracy in the worlds you want to conquer ... we have a great leader.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump