The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zimbabwe thread
Old 31st July 2005
Zimbabwe: Land is for blacks only

Sunday, July 31, 2005 Posted: 1525 GMT (2325 HKT)

Mugabe says land seizures are needed to redress imbalances.HARARE, Zimbabwe (Reuters) -- Zimbabwe will not invite back white farmers whose land was seized by President Robert Mugabe's government despite calls by the central bank chief to allow them to help the struggling agriculture sector, state media reported.

"The land here is for the black people and we are not going to give it back to anybody. We are not inviting any white farmers back," Security Minister Didymus Mutasa, also in charge of Lands, Land Reform and Resettlement, told the state-owned Sunday Mail.

Since 2000 Mugabe's government has seized thousands of white-owned farms after often violent invasions by government-backed veterans of the country's 1970s struggle against white rule.

But Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe Governor Gideon Gono recently urged Mugabe's government to allow some white farmers back on to the seized farms to help revive an economy near collapse.

Gono has said while some new black farmers were doing well, he was disappointed with the performance of others, adding that the government should allow some of the skilled former white commercial farmers to resume operations in strategic areas such as horticulture.

A recent World Bank study on Zimbabwe's agriculture sector said the government's land reforms had redistributed 80 percent of farmland and improved racial distribution of agricultural property, but had increased poverty.

Once the mainstay of the economy, agriculture now contributes 40 percent to national exports, makes up 18 percent of gross domestic product, and employs 30 percent of the formal labor force and 70 percent of the population, it said.

Official statistics show that the sector saw output falling by 3.3 percent in 2004, worsening food shortages which the WFP says could threaten up to a third of the country's 12 million people.

Mutasa said a newly-created National Land Board would scrutinize some land beneficiaries to make sure they had enough agricultural machinery and capacity to farm.

Zimbabwe's mainly white Commercial Farmers' Union says that nearly 4,000 white farmers have been dispossessed, leaving between 600 and 800 still on their land.

Mugabe's government says the land seizures are necessary to redress ownership imbalances created by Britain's 1890s colonization of the southern African state, but critics say the seizures have resulted in food shortages because the new owners lack farming experience.

WTF??? I think this guy is destroying Zimbabwe .
His actions will create more poverty and hunger in another country in Africa and he has only homself and his government to blame . The sad thing is that we would have to pay for this later on rather then doing something about it now.... we can stop him now before its too late and too late is real soon I believe .
He reminds me of Hitler a little bit with that silly hair under his nose ...
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black

Sunday, July 31, 2005 Posted: 1525 GMT (2325 HKT)

WTF??? I think this guy is destroying Zimbabwe .
His actions will create more poverty and hunger in another country in Africa and he has only homself and his government to blame . The sad thing is that we would have to pay for this later on rather then doing something about it now.... we can stop him now before its too late and too late is real soon I believe .
He reminds me of Hitler a little bit with that silly hair under his nose ...
This is a problem I believe in most thirld world countrys. And the reason thirld world countrys are "third world" if for the exact reasons you talk about.

In Bolivia the same thing is going on right now, and yes the US and foreign money is literally paying for us to be alive. The problem here is a racial issue also, the white (spanish settler) vs. the native indian.

the settlers want progress while the natives want to live in caves and don't mind living from charity. You will see many young women who can easily get a job, wondering the streets with their little kids asking for charity. And these kids learn to do so, from a very early age. I think their main reason for having kids is to train them to be professional beggers.

Having said that, I do understand the Blacks not wanting Whites, because they are afraid (with very good reasons) of slavery and racism towards them. Same thing here, the spanish whites are fukn racist bastards, no doubt about that. But at the same time these whites are the ones who invest , and have the economy moving. It's a very tough call. Sometimes I agree with the native indians and say.. fuk, they are right if they want to live in caves like 500 years ago, it's their land and should have the right to do it. On the other, my parents have invested alot of money and feed 200 families.. I think I deserve the right to be here also. Very tough call Mac.

edit.. and to be fair, I also blame the curruption in my goverment for not giving education the atention it needs.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Due to my current Nationality and the assosciated prejudices, I usually prefer to stay out of these discussions, but as this is real close to home I must add that what I find equally alarming is that the President of my Country completely supports Robert Mugabe and is actually considering loaning Zimbabwe a considerable sum of money (like we can afford it!!).

Anyone ever seen an aerial photo of Mugabe's residence??

Beverley Hills has nothing on this dudes palace!!
Old 2nd August 2005
This sort of thing happens often over time..

I think in Malaysia the indigenous Malay population got pissed of that Chinese people ended up running the country - so they put a stop to it.

In Uganda Idi Amine - threw out all the Ugandan Asians (I mean Folks from India & Pakistan) because they had all the top jobs.

Seems like if an indigenous population is more sleepy, rural, unsophisticated, uneducated and less experienced in business - it just leaves the door open for "sharper" money making (greedy?) people to come in and take over..

I think this is simply more 'shocking' for western whites who can look at film footage of this and almost see folks being made homeless that look sort of like their grandparents (if they squint) These farmers look like they should be living the rest of their lives sipping tea and exercising gently on bowling greens..

Their days of shouting 'Boy!" to a black servant are over for good....

They must have really pissed Mugabe off

Well.....he's running the show now..

To come full circle from Anti Apartide to feeling sorry for these people is a bridge too far for many. They had a good thing going for a long while, but the "white ruler" role is not a comfortable fit for liberals in the UK. Conservative / right wingers seem to find it the most tragic. Owning land, driving about in Landrover and ordering about 'natives' - seems like some sort of birthright for that lot...

Hard to know what to do for them... give em council flat, satellite TV and £57 per week?
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Yep ... the balance of power shall swing.

All I can say is that I sincerely hope (specifically in my Country and others such as Zimbabwe), that the future generations can somehow forget who cast the first stone (obviously very difficult) ... and get on with a Democratic existence.

These transitional times are testing ... trust me.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

Mugabe is a absolute prick!
He has no ****in clue on how to run a country and is screwing his own people,while his living in luxury.
Old 2nd August 2005
Fair enough...

V hard to get a grasp on it from all the way over here...
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Personally i think its a good idea. 3rd World nations need to stop accepting/asking for hand outs from foreigners and figure out how to work their problem themselves. Name a country a first/second world nation that converted a 3rd world to second none cuz they just exploit the 3rd world nation. China maybe coming close though, we'll see.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I just met the prince of Zimbabwe. He recently moved here to austin from the UK. Very nice guy. He also hangs out with a white guy.
Old 2nd August 2005
Is he, like..... into studio gear?

Jules Standen
studioadvisoryforroyalty.com

heh
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Aaaarrrggghhhh ... I have been trying my damndest to keep it in, but I guess as a first hand citizen of one of these Countries I suppose I do have some sort of "duty" to try and voice the realities.

I know this is a Zimbabwe thread, but the links/ties are close enough for my opinions to be relevant and before I go across the border, let me point out right here and now that this post is meant to serve (perhaps) as a relative view on the "other side" of the story ..... which ALWAYS exists!!

I am a white South African ... 36 years old, so I was brought up in the apartheid era, but what I really believe the whole world should try to take into account is that BEING a white South African does NOT mean that we all had our hands on the whip so to speak .... much in the same way that just because Bush has (let's say) a 51% majority vote, it doesn't mean that every American should suffer the persecutions of the "war on terror" ... and bombs on the London underground should not be seen as every British National's "just desserts" because of a cabinet decision to support the US cause as such .... and every turban-clad "Asian"?? is not necessarily weilding a lump of C4 in his backpack.

We should all know that politics vs street level reality is ALWAYS a mess.

Those South Africans that fully supported the daily rituals of apartheid, are/were true racists on a kind of humanitarian level in terms of terribly demoralising public segregation and so on ... HOWEVER (my God I am moving onto extremely THIN ice now) I believe our new Democratic Government is acting out precise reversals of the (white-ruled --- black-less-advantage) policy, but merely implementing these "tight-gripped" realities in a civil and "legal" way according to the rest of the world .... in much the same way as Mugabe is destroying Zimbabwe.

Black Economic Empowerment ... as a term in itself is ridiculous .... what would the world say if it were "White Economic Empowerment"???

Affirmative Action, the Equity Act and the above BEE are South Africa's new laws enforcing a certain percentage of the Countries businesses to be "black - owned" and with a certain legal percentage of "black-director/partners".

Yes, there is no segregation on public beaches, buses, toilets and so on .... which were the sort of atrocities that caught the world's eye .... but, for example, I know 3 people (PERSONALLY ... ie. friends of mine) who have been shot in the past 6 months here.

First case ... 2am, wakes up with a knife at throat, rolls away to protect wife next to him and gets shot 3 times by 2nd perpetrator in room ... survives.
Second case ... belive it or not, the SAME COUPLE!! ... 3 months later ... wife driving over bridge in Port St Johns and is pulled over by 3 males in vehicle ... walk over to her car, 2 shots in stomach ... she tries to drive away but is chased and driven into road barrier ... dragged out of car and shot again at close range ... left in bush to die .... survived.
Third case ... similar area as above case ... 2 vehicles coming back from holiday ... bunch of youngsters in road stop vehicles ... youths approach car and open fire on passengers ... one dead and I believe another died in hospital a week later.

OK ... so many believe that the US is a dangerous place and will say ... so what??

I say that these wild attacks (of which there are MANY ... including farmers in Zimbabwe) are equally if not more racist than the previous "apartheid" governments doings .... but then the obvious retort is .... "look what they went through" .... so things are almost justified rather than seen as SICK!!

Having read back over my wordings it may seem that I am harbouring some sort of underlying chip on the shoulder ... but I am not.

This ranting, whining, waffle of mine is coming from an incredibly F*CKED up situation, where the past will always loom and sometimes provide a pathetic shield for current dictatorships ... ala Mr Mugabe for example.

Oh ... and one more thing ... by the time I was even close to a "conscious" age, South Africa was in the thick of International Sanctions ... funny thing though, was that even the "black" population were crippled by these sanctions ... sometimes even more so than the minority "whites" ... take for example GEAR (being on Gearslutz and all heh ) ... the biggest selling music/musicians in South Africa are by FAAAAAAAR the "black" guys (market size ... plus entire African Continent potential) and in the 80's such fantastic manufacturers as Sequential Circuits and Moog were refusing to supply the South African market ... so these poor "disadvantaged" guys were playing Casiotones .... now TWICE-disadvantaged ....... go figure!!

Anyway ... I am out of here soon ... yes that's right, I am a runner ... I am tired of this **** ... I grew up with a screwed up Government, battle through the sanctions and now have to sit at the back of the queue for potential jobs etc (the order of preference for ANY job is non-white woman, non-white man, white woman and in last place, the white man .... after all it was me/us that should pay for those before us!!
I don't want my kids to grow up in this crap ... so Jules, see ya soon!!

Bottom line?? ... I think the world should hit this guy with the sanction thing (HIGHLY uneducated statement) or something like that and basically force his hand in some way or another. I don't care if the blacks or whites win or rule, but this dude is WRONG ... period!!

OK ... got it off ... now I will sit back and see if I have dfegad anyone off (I hope not as I am merely stating an opinion and not necessarily a dogmatic sentiment).

I mean .... GAAAAD STRUUUTH all we want is a rack full of tooooob-gear without having to worry about slaughter, bombs, planes, race-hate, revenge etc etc.

Ciao
Old 3rd August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones
I mean .... GAAAAD STRUUUTH all we want is a rack full of tooooob-gear without having to worry about slaughter, bombs, planes, race-hate, revenge etc etc.

Ciao
I agree.. & thanks for the insight.

Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Is he, like..... into studio gear?

Jules Standen
studioadvisoryforroyalty.com

heh

hahahahahahahahahahaha

I know a lot of Arab kids that drive around in 150000 dollar cars and spend 2000 on champagne in a night only to tell you they are bored to hell... and this thought often comes to my mind get yourself an SSL and a 1000000 dollar live room...that should keep u busy.
off topic but i could'nt resist
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Bones, I know where you are coming from... a buddy of mine is from Durbin and white, served his time in the army, been here about 11 years and he tells the story straight. He and his wife still have family back there, and the things he tells me about what is happening there now are scary. As always these issues are too involved and run too deep to really get a handle on in a forum like this or even the TV news...
Old 6th August 2005
Gear Maniac

Yeah .... most Countries have there set of problems, but I am just absolutely FINISHED with being ostracized by, firstly ... the most part of the 1st World, and now by my own Government ........uh-oh ...... am I starting to winge?
Old 9th August 2005
Gear Head

interesting stuff .... bones there are many SA in london with similar feelings so i'm sure you won't feel alone

back to zimbabwe - i have zimbabwean relatives and unusually they are mixed race: half zimbabwean and half irish. i myself went out there about 10 years ago and had a wonderful time - don't think i'd be too keen to do it now though. their take on the situation is that the man on the street in zim wil say ' yeah mugabe's a prick but he still got rid of the british'. people will always prefer their own prick to someone else's (oo-er). this unfortunately is the legacy of colonialism and mugabe will ride out the rest of his life on the credibility he gained fighting for independence and literally getting away with murder. any attempted interference from the west will be interpreted as sour grapes and none of his neighbours will turn on him 'he's a prick but he still got rid of the british' blah blah.

also i have to say the coverage of the country in the uk media is deeply disturbing - the amount of time you hear the word white compared to anything else makes you think that these are the only people in the country that matter - i'm not sure british reports on the situation can be taken entirely word-for -word.

having said that the situation is undeniably appalling and i'm glad that my family could get out and settle in the uk (eu passports), but worry greatly for the people i met who couldn't.

peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search