The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
the fearless freaks: flaming lips
Old 29th July 2005
There is only one

the fearless freaks: flaming lips

so after getting the new issue of tapOP this month i saw flaming lips had a video out called 'the fearless freaks'... being a fan i had to buy it. not much studio stuff [not even on the outtakes second disc] but if you are a flaming lips fan, this is a must have. pretty much their story through all the years.

really good editing etc. has the anti-climax of drozd herion addiction into the climax of yoshimi...

makes me wanna pull out all my old lips albums.

anyone else seen it?
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

yep, I've got it but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch from start to finish as yet. But the snippets I did see were pretty cool. In fact, I'm going to stick on DVD#2 now and have a look at the live clips.

While we're on DVD's, what's the must have music DVD's? I'm always on the lookout for something new.

My suggestions are:

NIN. All that could have been.
Led Zep. The double DVD (most recent release)
7 Worlds Collide. Neil Finn and friends.
Scratch. Turntablism thing featuring QBert, MMM etc etc.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

i'd like to see that.............

i only have the soft bulletin + yoshimi - but they're
like nothing else...............
no.....i forgot someone just gave me acid - the box set -
i haven't heard that yet.....
the picture is insane inside - that face that's
falling apart................

be well

- jack
Old 29th July 2005
There is only one

acid, the box set are pretty much all their early albums remastered [by fridmann]... some pretty psychotic stuff on it.

check out 'one million billionth of a millisecond' [or something like that]

i havent even listened to my box set yet... maybe its time to drag it out.... i bought it but had all the albums already.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

Seen it?
Hell, I'm in it!!!!

Anyway, good to see some FLips fans around here....
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Head

Thanks for the reminder alphajerk, I forgot all about this.

:adds to netflix queue:

I got into the Flips about 12 years ago when "Transmissions" came out, and immediately bought the back catalogue. Even though the recent musical direction is somewhat more synthetic, I still love wacky ol' Wayne. But I do miss that buzzsaw guitar sound that Ronald had...
Old 29th July 2005
jordan19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
yep, I've got it but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch from start to finish as yet. But the snippets I did see were pretty cool. In fact, I'm going to stick on DVD#2 now and have a look at the live clips.

While we're on DVD's, what's the must have music DVD's? I'm always on the lookout for something new.

My suggestions are:

NIN. All that could have been.
Led Zep. The double DVD (most recent release)
7 Worlds Collide. Neil Finn and friends.
Scratch. Turntablism thing featuring QBert, MMM etc etc.
The Zep double is great thumbsup

My fav music DVDs (and not necessarily in this order

- Led Zep; The Song Remains The Same
-Doves; Where We're Calling From
-U2; Go Home--Live at Slane Castle
-Pearl Jam; Live at The Garden
-U2; Live From Boston
And yes, I have to confess, I love the Coldplay DVD. Whoever was the editor of the documentary on it is brilliant. I can't stand the MTV-camera angle style though of the concert film.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I like the Flaming Lips song from the Sponge Bob soundtrack. The played it on Conan and the singer was walking around in a giant inflatable sphere. You can find the video on Rollingstone.com...
Old 29th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChances
Seen it?
Hell, I'm in it!!!!

Anyway, good to see some FLips fans around here....
where? who? cool!

i became a fan on hit to death pre-release my friend got from tower when he worked there and didnt like it... i loved it and bought the earlier stuff and everything since.
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Nut

I was afraid someone would ask that...
On the second disc during Take Meta Mars, I'm the dorky looking dude that plugs Wayne's mic back in for him. That was one crazy night, way too many people packed into way too small of a place....

Having grown up in Oklahoma and in that scene, there are a ton of people I know in that thing, people I went to High School with and played in bands with.

Oh the stories I could tell.....
Old 30th July 2005
There is only one

im sure... tres cool. its amazing how NOT a "rockstar" life he [wayne] lives..
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

so far it is hard to see the connection between the acid stuff and these last two
i almost wish i had heard it first or without knowing who it is....when i have more time
i'll put it on again - it may take repeated listenings....
was dave fridman involved at this stage?
a friend of mine worked for dave friddman at his studio in the amish country for three months and had some strange stories about how hidden the studio was............
buried deep in the ground........

- jack
Old 30th July 2005
There is only one

hate to say it but watch the DVD and you will see the connection.

i must admist, yoshimi isnt my favorite of them and prefer the "acid" days... their older stuff kills on passion despite 'talent'.

but its amazing to finally realize the contribution of steven drozd.'

fwiw, transmissions and clouds taste metallic are my favorites of all they have done... along with hit to death in the future head.
Old 30th July 2005
There is only one

i have heard "stories" about dave fridmann... and his involvement with the flaming lips.... lets just say i cant repeat such a story for it to be less than a fable.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

my imprint is really the drums on "spoonful weighs a ton" - it's hard to get
it out of my head when i think of the flaming lips..... i first heard it only a couple of years
ago...........

more acid
later......

- jack
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

heard some more acid - read some liner notes - i guess these people may have almost
crossed my path almost 20 years ago - before this loft was a studio i had about
50 room mates - the first here with me for two years were a friend bill and my
cousin jennifer and her boyfriend, later husband, later ex - husband neil that first
year and half or so, neil was in a band called pussy galore, i think they did some
shows with the flaming lips at that time - through the first two years jennifer
and neil recorded some songs that i played bongos on and sang back - ups on -
these songs became the first royal trux record - i don't think it was their best,
but that's a whole other story..............
i guess, starting from disc 1, wayne isn't really singing yet , maybe that's something
i'm hearing
i'll get the dvd - maybe that will put the picture together - i guess its great to hear
how a band can grow and change
sometimes i kick myself now, not having seen as much music at that time as i should
have...............
sad, now that cbgb's rent is $40,000 a month and they won't be able to stay open
that much longer.........

more later

be well

- jack
Old 31st July 2005
There is only one

apparently there is a cool club in NYC [private] that is supposed to be a blast... next time im up there im making the reservation call to attend. hopefully they will get more and more bands coming in.... never really enjoyed cbgb's, and kind of preferred continental club a little more [though i havent been to either in almost 10 years]

i believe waynes brother was singing on the EARLY EARLY lips stuff. wayne kinda took over later on. the band has gone through a number of lineup changes, although the best was transmission/clouds lineup. waynes coyne, michael ivins, steven drozd, and ronald jones. by far above any other lineup live and in the studio. although 'oh my gawd' was certainly one of their best psychotic lineups [one million billionth, everythings exploding, et al'] 'clouds taste metallic' was their masterpiece yet to be topped [despite the critics late arrival with 'soft bulletin'] and 'yoshimi' is almost just an amateur foray into a land where they arent quite as good as others doing similar material, however stong waynes voice is.

i did see them after ron left on tour and the show was horrendous, steven wasnt on drums and the drum tracks were all pre-recorded.... it SUCKS to see a band with piped in drum tracks. they have a new guy playing drums now, but no one will match the insanity of Steven Drozd on drums.

one of the other cool things was the interview with gibby haynes and the comparison to the butthole surfers with pretty much and eye 4 eye comparison between the two.... certainly one of the most overlooked bands of the last decades, but what do you expect from a growingly repressed society?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

clouds taste metallic isn't on acid , is it ??

- jack
Old 1st August 2005
There is only one

dont think so. only goes up to 'telepathic surgery'. there is also an "addendum" album to that box set called 'the day they shot a hole in the jesus egg' which contains 'in a priest driven ambulence' and 'the mushroom tapes' when jonathan donahue [from mercury rev] was in the band.

anyway, two stellar tracks on the acid box set is disc 2, tracks 1 and 2. [16 beign a live version of 2]

thats all OLD lips, which is when it was more like MC5 than they are now... i still stand with hit to death>clouds taste metallic [with transmissions in between] as their "best years" where sonically things started gelling more than the early stuff but not as disconnected after ronald left and the zareeika experiment.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

you must appreciate the amazing production on the soft bulletin/yoshimi , no?

to me, it's amazing, very fresh,

i love anything that doesn't sound like anything else....

i'll look for clouds.....
does it exist on vinyl?

- jack
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Dude,Royal Trux rocks!I wanna go to the waterpark!
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear
I saw it at the OKC premiere. Good movie even if you're not a fan of the band.
Old 1st August 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
you must appreciate the amazing production on the soft bulletin/yoshimi , no?
its okay. of course i love daves work... he is one of, if not the best guys doing this right now. i have yet to put a mix of his on against one of mine and not want to go crawl in a corner somewhere.

rumor [dont know if its true] but i heard dave ran yoshimi through an ART comp on the 2buss... dont know if its true... and it was all PT. but it just pains me to hear such an amazing drummer made electronic, and they dont really have a great grasp of that genre yet.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

just ordered the movie

be well

- jack
Old 1st August 2005
There is only one

oh, off topic slightly.... did anyone notice white stripes drums on that part of the tape? she had Ddrum triggers on her drums/
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

the flaming lips on beverly hills 90210

yes, while taking a break to eat, i flipped through
the bleak landscape that is digital cable
and there on beverly hills 90210
were
the flaming lips..................

- jack
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

the movie is so great....its 6:00 a.m. but i had to watch......
such great spirit
so much vitality in the coyne family.....

i love the shots of steve clutching the abominable snowman........

good night

- jack
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

i've watched it now like 4 times all the way through and other bits more.....
i have to buy the clouds record......
i think for me its all about wayne singing - that's when i really start liking
the music.......
did some shows in 2000 with tyson meade - he was a very funny, sweet guy.........

wayne is so likeable - they seem so grounded and well........

i guess i was in montreal for new years, but i'm kicking myself for missing
the madison square garden extravaganza.............

be well

- jack
Old 7th August 2005
There is only one

clouds taste metallic is their masterpiece. i am going to listen to it tonight.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search