The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing with the screen turned off.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Mixing with the screen turned off.

This has come up in a number of different threads. For years now since working with Pro-Tools and other DAWs I have turned of the screen so that I can get back to listening to the music and not watching all the waveforms go by and making decisions based on how they look. I find that it gets me the feeling of being back into the music again instead of feeling like Bill Gates for the mix.

What does everyone else do and what are your thoughts on this.

Michael Greene
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I find it hard to actually mix with the screen turned off though. How do you do it?? Whenever I try to do it, next thing I know I've clicked on Safari, not the LA2A, and when I finally turn the screen on, there's Gearlsutz. I just listen to music with the screen off, then make changes after I'm done listening.
Old 25th July 2005
There is only one

i was very pissed off when i bought my G4 and ACD and found the power on the screen to be the power for the computer..... i mix all the time with the screen turned off. i had to use a towel draped over the monitor until i took it out and switched to dual samsungs and got my power switch back... although now they are dual comp monitors and sometimes i will flip to my PC on it and chat at GS while mixing.... it takes away the tree and opens up the forest for me [i dont do that for the whole mix or incrediby long, but enough to hear things i drastically o verlooked while tweaking details]
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I find it hard to actually mix with the screen turned off though. How do you do it?? Whenever I try to do it, next thing I know I've clicked on Safari, not the LA2A, and when I finally turn the screen on, there's Gearlsutz. I just listen to music with the screen off, then make changes after I'm done listening.
Thats where a control surface comes into play. What I end up doing most of the time is getting some rough eq's and comp together with the screen on and once I get all of the technical computer stuff out of the way I start balancing and panning with the faders on the Control 24 and I will edit plugs with it also. Once I figured out the cryptic set up on that thing now I can move very fast. Not as fast as I used to on a console but still fast.

I don't use the Apple monitors so killing the power switch doesn't kill the computer. I agree, whom ever thought of that was a bit stupid. I like the towel idea though.

Michael Greene
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Why don't you just change your waveforms to blocks (at least if you're in Pro Tools)? That would take care of the problem.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why don't you just change your waveforms to blocks (at least if you're in Pro Tools)? That would take care of the problem.
I guess what I meant is the visual distraction of everything going on in the room as much as just the screen.
I worked on a session many years ago with a producer who wanted to work in almost total darkness. At first I didn't understand and then when I started listening I noticed that all the things in the room tend to distract from the focus of what your doing. I started mixing in a very dark control room and suddenly a bunch of the things that would draw your attention away from the mix went away and allowed you to focus on the mix.
Maybe I am part hermit or vampire but I like mixing in near darkness. Now with all the new visual distractions in the room of the last number of years it seems like an even more needed approach.

Michael Greene
Old 25th July 2005
There is only one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio
At first I didn't understand and then when I started listening I noticed that all the things in the room tend to distract from the focus of what your doing. I started mixing in a very dark control room and suddenly a bunch of the things that would draw your attention away from the mix went away and allowed you to focus on the mix.

BINGO!
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio
Thats where a control surface comes into play. What I end up doing most of the time is getting some rough eq's and comp together with the screen on and once I get all of the technical computer stuff out of the way I start balancing and panning with the faders on the Control 24 and I will edit plugs with it also. Once I figured out the cryptic set up on that thing now I can move very fast. Not as fast as I used to on a console but still fast.

I don't use the Apple monitors so killing the power switch doesn't kill the computer. I agree, whom ever thought of that was a bit stupid. I like the towel idea though.

Michael Greene
Wow...my internet humor sucks. I wan't being serious about the mixing part.
Old 26th July 2005

I have the top right of my screen as a hot corner, I just flip up a screensaver when I wanna listen and not watch!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search