The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Okay, I submit. Norah Jones is **** great
Old 22nd July 2005
500 series nutjob

i like her voice, to me, it is warm and inviting, smokey, has a very intimate feel.
reminds me of some good old bar band after midnight.
the band is fairly relaxed its close to closing and the folks are rub-in belly.
Old 22nd July 2005
Talking

Why has no one really mentioned how beautiful she is. Are you engineering nerds? (Smile) I like her voice a lot but I found the music lacks energy. No ups downs and middle. It's all smooth and even . I think thats' why some say it puts you to sleep. I have not heard the 2nd CD I have to admit though.
Old 22nd July 2005
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
Why has no one really mentioned how beautiful she is.
she is
Old 22nd July 2005
There is only one

her voice makes me want to kill..... her. its so grating on the ears.
Old 22nd July 2005
Here for the gear

Thumbs down Norah is the worst.

I cant stand her music. And I hate the fact that she's categorized as a jazz singer. She's sings smooth pop. She's the equivalent of Kenny G to me. She's nothing like, Ella, Sarah, Betty, Billie.

I think she's the worst.

Another thing that irritates me about her is the way she pronounces some of her words. if she were to say "Dance"...she would say "Danche. That's the worst.

I do like Jane Monheit though.

Peace.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

...she never claims to be those folks either. For that matter, I can't recall anyone comparing her to any of those amazing singers.
m
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

She's an attractive woman alright, but in a different league, probably used to guys spending big bucks on her. Grammy parties, ect..... So I don't get too excited, on a personal level. She'd probably consider my little home studio a joke compared to places she'd played and recorded at, so why get too involved ???

Even mention you want to date a celebrity and you're automaticaly labeled a stalker or a gold digger.

I had an interest in jazz singer one time, and she was such a conceited witch, wanted nothing but the finest of everything....nothing I could do would please her. She's now working with a musically very good jazz band, with fine musicians, but they are soooo good they stink. Absolutely no personality.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
She's an attractive woman alright, but in a different league, probably used to guys spending big bucks on her. Grammy parties, ect..... So I don't get too excited, on a personal level. She'd probably consider my little home studio a joke compared to places she'd played and recorded at, so why get too involved ???
Intersting ...

I think she looks very humble and shy, almost apologetic for her success.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Humble and shy, eh ?? Well. I haven't met her so I don't know her at all, but my past experience with jazz singers is "humble and shy" on stage, witch from hell off stage....very demanding.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

And that track she did with the Foo Fighters on their new album is freakin' great....

Brandon
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Humble and shy, eh ?? Well. I haven't met her so I don't know her at all, but my past experience with jazz singers is "humble and shy" on stage, witch from hell off stage....very demanding.
aah!

could be ...
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

I liked her first single quite a bit when it came out but found I couldn't bear to sit through the whole CD.

Don't know why.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm a huge fan as well. My favorite word to describe her is: Tasteful.

It's all about the song and her voice and it certainly doesn't hurt that she's beautiful.

One of my brushes with fame is that I used to share a rehearsal space with her bass player, and Norah's boyfriend (last I heard anyway), Lee. He is a really nice guy - at least when I knew him 8 years ago.

-KD03
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
Intersting ...

I think she looks very humble and shy, almost apologetic for her success.
she should be apologetic. she knows she is vastly overrated......hehe

it's not like i hate the music. there's just not enough "there there" for me.....
Old 22nd July 2005
Here for the gear

Atkinsdiet....

They made the comparison when they said she was a "Jazz" singer. Which she's not. Like I said. She's just like Kenny G. Kenny G isnt jazz. He's smooth pop. Norah is smooth pop.
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet
If people only performed songs they themselves wrote, you never would have heard anything by George Gershwin. You never would have heard Ella's voice. Don't be ridiculous.
umm, for the record Gershwin was a very accomplished pianist and recorded a vast number of his originals on piano rolls.
just thought that warranted mentioning.

-nick
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonk
I've been listening to her since I first heard her during the year where her first album won all the awards.

I gotta say, I hate 99 percent of popular award winning crap, but Norah Jones is the exception.
Good music when you wake up early. Good when you're sad. Good when you're drunk.

She's made two awesome albums and she's the daughter of Ravi Shankar. Feel the love you bastards. I dare you to say bad things.

There's really not much that's not asthetic that you can really dis, is there? Super fantastic in just about every regard, imo.
Gearslutz. Tapeop, I never saw a Norah Jones thread, so here it is.

She rocks.

Pro Jazz pianist here and yes I agree she is good, but overall she is quite boring.
After 15 minutes of her I am diving for the volume control.
Well produced, great band etc....yes....but boring....
I find it interesting that she is about the best that people can find (and she is very good), which to me sends a message saying how screwed up the other performers are.

You want to hear GOOD JAZZ?
Ella
Nancy Wilson
Annie Shelton
The Modernaires.
Manhattan Transfer.
NY Voices.

Norah?

Well recorded for sure, but boring as hell......

Just my opinion....
Old 23rd July 2005
i agree many of her songs are boring.. too middle of the road country folk. shes still good though. and she plays piano quite well!

thanks for the martha wainwright tip, my friend went to see her in manchester last winter and was really impressed. i checked some albums today and shes wicked...
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I like the quality of Norah's voice, and she can make a piano purr. I'd like to hear her try some more challenging material because I think that she has the chops for it.

Oh yeah, and she's stunning...very beautiful woman right there.
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Guru

Boring. Yes, that is a capital B.

Her first big hit was off the chart boring. I just don't get it. One of her newer hits is a little more interesting, but certainly not something I would go out and buy.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Boring. Yes, that is a capital B.

Her first big hit was off the chart boring. I just don't get it. One of her newer hits is a little more interesting, but certainly not something I would go out and buy.
Yeah, I don't understand that first hit. All she sings is "come away with me" over, and over, and over...
I don't see the appeal in that. Honestly, the first time I heard that song, I thought the cd was skipping and repeating. I had to get up and looK!
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Forget the hits, those are two great ALBUMS. Fortunately my wife plays her and I had a good chance to listen to her entire work quite a few times. It becomes more and more interesting and intimate after every listening.

I think she and her music are beautiful in their own right, regardless who you might think is better. It's not a damn contest
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear
I think it really helped that her first single said "come" ... a LOT
Old 25th July 2005
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Maniac

"Mad TV" did a hilarious (well, maybe not for a NJ fans) spoof where the actress playing her fell asleep at the piano while performing
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear
she is too much into this "aesthetic" thing...
more beef, more ghetto, more speed please..
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoVXR
she is too much into this "aesthetic" thing...
more beef, more ghetto, more speed please..
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Good music when you wake up early. Good when you're sad. Good when you're drunk.

good music when you wake up early: sad and drunk!!!
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcproductions
She's the equivalent of Kenny G to me.
You've got to be kidding, right?

Everyone knows that Norah Jones is a way better sax player than Kenny G.

-KD03
Old 27th July 2005
Here for the gear

KennyD03...LOL!

Yeah...Anyone is better than him!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search