The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone here watching the Tour de France?
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Anyone here watching the Tour de France?

I am a tour junkie. Every year for about the last 20 years ( I am 33 ) I have been religiously following the tour. I was big into cycling all my life. Raced BMX for years, got into mountainbiking but always had a soft spot for road racing. Maybe it was the fact of the strategy involved in a team effort, not just a one man objective like BMX or mountainbiking. The team works as a unit. It seems more thrilling and is full of suspense with all the break aways and the whole cat and mouse thing during the sprints. If Lance can do it for a 7th time I think it would be cool. That guy has owned the tour for the last 6 years and all the power to him. My hat must go off to all the riders though, because anyone that can race a bicycle 5 - 7 hours a day with an average speed of 38 mph, for three weeks straight deserves to be recognized as a true athlete. Those guys are machines.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Got my wife into it, we are fanatics. We Tivo it every day, watch it in the evening. Lance could pull it off this year, but he has to watch for Rasmussin, and a few others.

Ulrich is nothing this year, his crash the day before the opening time trial into his team car could not have helped.

Bad news he lost a team mate just before the Pyrenees.

These guys are the best athletes, bar none.

Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

of course we watch.
Ullrich team mates are worthless.
Armstrong is focussed on the tour only.
ah
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

My wife & I have been taping the evening replay from OLN & watching it at 2:00AM everynight...so by the time we're seeing the end of the race, the next day's race is actually starting.

So please don't give away any cliffhangers!

But yeah, it's a trip watching a sport whose strategies, physical requirements, and vocabularies are so foriegn to a typical American. Fascinating stuff.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre tchmil
of course we watch.
Ullrich team mates are worthless.
Armstrong is focussed on the tour only.
ah
Ullrich's team mate Andreas Kloeden is doing pretty good, same with the fellow from Kazakstan (sp?) who's name I am blanking out on right now is doing really well too. But, I guess after the stages on Sat and Sun is where something is going to happen. Team Discovery is going have to bust a move in those two mountain stages in order to get rid of Rassmussen. My biggest dissapointment was CSC's Jens Voigt being tossed from the tour after coming in behind the time limit. He is one of my favorites as well as the CSC team. It is a really good tour this year with not as many crashes as last year although there has been a few good ones so far. I am pumped there is a week left because I can't get enough of it.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

The talent is there on T-Mobile, the team work is not.

I was also shocked about Voigt being eliminated that way.

Could come down to the time trial again. Rassmussen Has proven he will not be dropped on the mountain stages so easily.

FUN!
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Watch it everyday
We're getting some exciting days ahead of us;
Pyrenees, where Lance has had some critical stages before (Rasmussen can
take the advantage), will Vinukorov attack there as well?
4+ min. is nothing in the mountains if someone (Lance+ team) has a collapse.
Rasmussen will loose on the tempo stages, though.
What about Basso? I think CSC is the best team on the Tour, but Basso has been
invisible.

Despite being norwegian, I believe an aussie is wearing the green jersey in Paris.
Michael takes the polka dot for sure.

ruudman
Old 15th July 2005
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
Watch it everyday
We're getting some exciting days ahead of us;
Pyrenees, where Lance has had some critical stages before (Rasmussen can
take the advantage), will Vinukorov attack there as well?
4+ min. is nothing in the mountains if someone (Lance+ team) has a collapse.
Rasmussen will loose on the tempo stages, though.
What about Basso? I think CSC is the best team on the Tour, but Basso has been
invisible.

Despite being norwegian, I believe an aussie is wearing the green jersey in Paris.
Michael takes the polka dot for sure.

ruudman
Yes, Vinukorov is the fellow whos name I forgot. I have been watching him and thinking he might be someone that can give Lance a bit of trouble . You are right, Basso has been invisible. Not doing much, not like last year. The next couple of days will be nail biters that's for sure. We have the same conclusion for the green jersey. I think Robbie MacEwan will do the job. That guys background in BMX makes him a deadly sprinter. He can turn it on at a moments notice, pick a line and slip right through the other sprinters.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

tour de france my arse!
i'd like to see those guys TRY to ride alongside some new york city bike messengers...

riding a bycicle while avoiding cabs as they try to run you over while you smoke a cigarrete and yell obscenities at the tourists... now that's athletics!

just kiddin' guys, i'm a fan myself, i love the sport and i would love to see lance take the prize again.

peace!

FM

FM is positively radiant.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

I watched it last year and loved it

not a big 'lance' fan but you have to respect the heart ... probably should turn it on soon, thanks for the reminder
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Lucey, you should check it out. The next couple of stages will be the best. Only 1 week left so it should get pretty exciting and there has been lots of great action thus far. Lance is not punishing everyone like he did last year and seems to be keeping it pretty cool so far. Sure he has definitely had his moment, but if he can pull off winning number seven, all the power to him. That guy is like the Wayne Gretzky of cycling.

FM, I appreciate the bicycle couriers. Those guys have nerves of steel.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Lance is not punishing everyone like he did last year and seems to be keeping it pretty cool so far. Sure he has definitely had his moment, but if he can pull off winning number seven, all the power to him. That guy is like the Wayne Gretzky of cycling.

Except Wayne played all season, Lance is a Tour expert extradordiaire but not a full time competitor.

I will get into back into it for the finale ... go Lance
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
FM, I appreciate the bicycle couriers. Those guys have nerves of steel.
no doubt.
i ride a lot here in new york, all my friends think i'm crazy... they're probably right.

cheers!

FM

FM gets no sleep 'till Brooklyn.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Being from Austin, it's hard not to follow Lance and the Tour.

At last year's Ride for the Roses - which benefits Lance's cancer survivorship foundation - I was about four miles from the end of the ride (for me, about 55 miles) and I saw Lance in a group about a quarter mile ahead of me. I mustered up the strength to catch up with him and did so just as the group came to a traffic light tended by a sheriff's deputy. The cop signalled for everyone to stop so a dump truck could turn left and Lance looked back at me and said, "Let's run it!!"

I took his advice, and we both narrowly missed getting flattened by the truck, but on the other side of the intersection, there we were, just me and the L-Boy, with no one around for several hundred yards. So we just shot the **** like old buddies until he said, "Oh, here comes my riding partner." Sheryl Crow rolls up between us, obviously fried from riding hard in an effort to keep up with him. What a trooper. Lance put his right hand on the small of her back, shifted to a bigger gear, and turned it up a notch, towing her in for the last few miles. It was quite a touching sight to see them riding totally alone for a few minutes after hours of playing host to 15,000 cyclists. They're both an inspiration to me and I feel privileged to have shared a few moments with them in that context.
Old 15th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey
Except Wayne played all season, Lance is a Tour expert extradordiaire but not a full time competitor.

My comparasin was meant more towards Lance being a true and gentleman like competitor. No bull**** and superstar persona. I am sure that his regular schedule training for the tour would make most NHLers puke.
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
My comparasin was meant more towards Lance being a true and gentleman like competitor. No bull**** and superstar persona. I am sure that his regular schedule training for the tour would make most NHLers puke.
Yea he's a cool dude ... my friend works for Sheryl Crow and sees him around.

The NHL guys are a different type of physicality .. I know a few of the local NHL guys, Blue Jackets. Also very polite, professional and humble ... ass kickers. And they still wear suits and ties on the airplane to travel ... old school!
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

Seems about as exciting as watching grass grow.
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

I watch the tour every year.. I am amazed at the physical ability to do the ride as well as the strategy and psychology of the race. It is hard not to get sucked in.

--Ben
Old 16th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Seems about as exciting as watching grass grow.
I dare you to watch it for 1/2 hour and not get into it!
Old 16th July 2005
pan
Lives for gear

The next three Days will be worth watching - this is, where the tour will be won.
The Mountains seperate the men from the boys...and IMHO are the only etappes worth watching.

n
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Yes, George won a well deserved victory!
He's the gentleman of this sport, and I'm very happy for him.

ruudman
Old 17th July 2005
Gear Nut

I follow it every year as well.

Did you all see the tech guy from team mobile who leaned out of the service car, removing the gps device from Vinokurovs bike with a wire cutter. All done going downhill at 80 km/hour. We all appreciate a good tech guy right?

/A
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

You swedes have a young talent debuting this year; very talented indeed
- but no swedish journalists are present. A shame, really..

ruudman
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
-but no swedish journalists are present. A shame, really..

ruudman
Yeah I know and it's sad. But the swedish commentors on Eurosport are very good which sort of evens it out a bit.

/A
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampen
I follow it every year as well.

Did you all see the tech guy from team mobile who leaned out of the service car, removing the gps device from Vinokurovs bike with a wire cutter. All done going downhill at 80 km/hour. We all appreciate a good tech guy right?

/A
I was waiting for a finger to fly out at the camera. I was a bike wrencher for years and we are all a little kooky, although I never had to fix a bike leaning out of a car window. I was pumped about Hincappie's victory as well. This is a good tour thus far.
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMNYC
riding a bycicle while avoiding cabs as they try to run you over while you smoke a cigarrete and yell obscenities at the tourists... now that's athletics!
They're one of my favorite types of NYC wildlife.

My favorite are the 'Sweater-Vested Hood-Pounders':

"Hey!! I'm walkin' here!!"

If you happen to be in Austin during the Tour, you can watch it by osmosis.
Old 18th July 2005
pan
Lives for gear

Watch those Motorbikes...

Old 20th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
They're one of my favorite types of NYC wildlife.

My favorite are the 'Sweater-Vested Hood-Pounders':

"Hey!! I'm walkin' here!!"

If you happen to be in Austin during the Tour, you can watch it by osmosis.
heh

man the sh_t i've seen while riding the streets here...

peace!

FM

FM will beat any competitors price, anytime.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey

Lucey Lance is just like every other guy who`s actually capable of winning the yellow jersey. The sprinters can`t climb like the GC guys so they`re basically at the tour to win a few prestigious stages and maybe get the green jersey. They`re more tailored for shorter races so you`ll see them go out and win other bike races that are`nt as draining.

Lance peaks for the tour just like marathon runners peak for the Boston Marathon.

They`ll enter other races to get up to the conditioning they need to be in but they don`t go all out until the Boston Marathon. They still TRAIN a lot harder than normal athletes year round.

It`s an endurance sport and that`s the way to success in this kind of sporting event. You can`t keep it up full throttle all year because body chemistry just doesn`t work like that. It takes far more conditioning than sports like soccer basketball and hockey which isn`t to say there isn`t a quite a few superior athletes in all those sport.

Guys like Eddy Meryx used to win every race back in the day but that`s because EVERY rider used to ride every race and they were all at the same level of burn/recovery all year.

Now every rider who`s challenging to win the yellow jersey peaks for the tour and it`s been that way for quite a few years before Lance was around.

And b.t.w earlier in his career Lance won quite a few races on the side en route to the tour even though he wasn`t peaked out for them. He also didn`t dominate some of those tours as much so it does make quite a bit of sense.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search