All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
7"s On The Up
Old 12th July 2005
Gear Addict

7"s On The Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky News
VINYL MAKES A COMEBACK

Vinyl, once seen as a dying format in the music industry, is back in fashion - according to new sales figures.

Sales of the records have shot up by 87.3% compared to the same three-month period last year.

The British Phonographic Industry says annual sales of vinyl singles are now approaching 1.4 million.

In the twelve months up to March 31 this year, sales of the seven inch hit the 1,380,000 mark.

This already represented a year-on-year improvement of 64%, and the best 12 months for vinyl since 1998.

New figures show that in the three months from April to June vinyl flew off the shelves even more rapidly.

Sales rose by 87.3% from 154,216 sales during April to June 2004 to 288,780 for the same period this year.

The improvement in fortunes of the seven inch has been attributed to fans of British indie and rock bands, which are today's big-hitters in the charts.

The vinyl top 20 is dominated by a new generation of rock acts, such as The Libertines, Babyshambles, Kaiser Chiefs and Franz Ferdinand.

Vinyl has remained popular with DJs, because they allow scratching and mixing.

There has also been more evidence from music stores that they are being brought for home use.
Old 13th July 2005
Gear Maniac

A lot of club oriented music is now being released on 7" as well. Personally I prefer the better fidelity of 12", but it's great to see any type of vinyl doing well. IMO CDs are a really unappealing format.

Best

Vari-Mu
Old 13th July 2005
Lives for gear

i only buy vinyl
i play lots of vinyl for my clients
i encourage all of them to release product on vinyl
i would agree with the post before that the 12" 45 single rules
its closer to the master tape than any other format
i have vinyl from before i was born that sounds better
than any recent recording

i also had a talk with walter sear this week and i'm agreement with him about
recording formats....

i would love to see a new concept of music sales where the intellectual
copyright and the medium were divorced - i.e. as a customer you have an
id. you have bought the itunes version + copyright - now you can buy the vinyl
for slightly above cost to listen to at home
or some deal where if you the vinyl you get the cd and the itunes for free....

- be well

- jack
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Vinyl!

I've been buying 7" stuff lately. Just kinda fun. They've got a whole wall of 7" where I buy rekkids.

Black Sabbath put out a singles collection that comes as a box of 7" records. Should be pretty collectible!

Vinyl sound so much better than their corresponding CD's, it's ridiculous. CD's are conceptually defective. I'm surprised more Gearslutz aren't vinyl buyers, what with opinoins re: digital vs. analog being what they are. Even when the album was recorded digitally all the way, the vinyl sounds better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search