The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Edward Norton = Greatest Actor of This Generation
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Here's another oldie actor I never thought I'd go for, but Kevin Bacon is sublime in the woodsman. It's a hard film, especially when you have kids (got 2), but the acting is top notch, and the issues important enough.

Pete
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
it stumps the hell out of me though how people like Keanu Reeves or Mark Wahlberg can get lead roles. I mean honestly. When I first watched Keanu (in Speed,) I thought he was INTENTIONALLY trying to sound like he was reading his lines straight out of the damn script.

I have reluctantly come to admit that I enjoy watching Mark Wahlberg's movies. It's not that I think he's a great actor; he's always playing the same character. But he plays that character with such easy-going confidence that he conveys a natural ease that's refreshing. I believe in the industry they call it "charm".

But man, you're dead-on about Keanu.
Old 14th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Im surprised no one has mentioned his work in Rounders.....
Old 14th July 2005
jordan19 
lol @ bob ross. I'd be reluctant to admit that too heh but I see your point. Apes was a good movie, but in some of these flicks his lines are so wooden it's just like... wow, send this guy to James Lipton for some help.

Sender; I actually didn't really care for Rounders that much. You're right though he was good in it.

Matt Damon is another actor I'm unsure of whether I like or not. He's great at times, and then he's very very average at other times. It's hard to tell really what kind of actor he is...
Old 14th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
The singer in one of the bands I've been playing with ,used to be married to that thing![PRE K.C..]
You think that chick is a frightwig now??!she was REALLY scary back then..
A way beastier even more wasted version.. double YUUUCKKY!
heh

Hah! Missed that the first time! No Sh*t! I remember those Hole gigs with the Imperial Butt Wizards, etc ! "Don't hate us because we're beautiful!" Nassty!

I do have to give her the prize for 'Most Improved Rock Band' though. After seeing some of those lousy early gigs, I saw Hole later and they rocked. And to be fair, I guess there are some pretty nasty dudes that we don't rag on as much.

You know what they say...

You can take the girl out of Jumbo's Clown Room, but you can't take Jumbo's Clown Room out of the girl!
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
lol @ bob ross. I'd be reluctant to admit that too heh but I see your point. Apes was a good movie, but in some of these flicks his lines are so wooden it's just like... wow, send this guy to James Lipton for some help.

Sender; I actually didn't really care for Rounders that much. You're right though he was good in it.

Matt Damon is another actor I'm unsure of whether I like or not. He's great at times, and then he's very very average at other times. It's hard to tell really what kind of actor he is...
I can't imagine anyone doing a better job than Marky Mark did in "Boogie Nights". That was utterly stellar. Matt Damon confuses me, too.
James Spader rocks, yes.
Old 15th July 2005
jordan19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson
American X is a favorite. Also Christian Bale in "The Machinist" gets into some pretty focused acting.

Pete
that guy is gonna have some serious health problems later on for the way he dieted to drop that weight. seriously abused his body to take that role.

i think there's a point where actors or actresses could draw the line between artistic merit and questionable risks. these actresses who put on like 100 pounds for roles... or guys who starve themselves like Bale...

Jay Leno made a good point lol... "all these pretty faced actresses like Charlize Theron are getting so desperate to win an Oscar these days that now they're putting ugly actresses out of work." heh
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

His choice I guess. He ain't the first cat to do silly **** for art. Probably won't be the last. De Niro did similar in raging bull I think.

Pete
Old 16th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson
His choice I guess. He ain't the first cat to do silly **** for art. Probably won't be the last. De Niro did similar in raging bull I think.

Pete
Put on a bunch of weight for the Untouchables too.
Old 16th July 2005
jordan19 
I prefer Pacino to De Niro personally

Not necessarily because he's better, I just like his on-screen presence more.
Old 17th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I prefer Pacino to De Niro personally

Not necessarily because he's better, I just like his on-screen presence more.

It's become hard for me to watch Pacino now that he's had that unfortunate "Deer-in-the-headlights" cosmetic surgery on his eyes. Too painful.
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

Ed Norton and Christian Bale are at the top of the list I say. I like actors who show range and these guys have shown incredible range. Johnny Depp seems recently to be more into being the same guy every time, ala Nicholson, and Spacey falls in to that camp as well (they are still top talents, just a personal pref).
Doc

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search