The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
suggestions for cleaning
Old 9th July 2005
Gear Nut

suggestions for cleaning

i just had the walls of an adjacent room filled with blown-in insulation while i was out of town. the insulation people did not cover the computers in an attached bathroom turned computer room -and- they did not cover the door jam well leading into the recording room: hence, everything has a layer of this insulation dust on it (its the really small microscopic particles of insulation residue - not regular dust).

basically everything has to get unplugged removed and cleaned (major pain in the assq). any comments on what cleaning materials to use? windex and a paper towel? thanks for input.
Old 9th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

I would definitely wipe down first to keep airborn dust down. Once you start vacuuming it's going to get the air moving.

Windex and a lint free towel would be my first plan, then the vacuum.

Sorry to hear that, what a pain.

War
Old 10th July 2005

I once cleaned my automated fader panels on my board with windex and a paper towell and found out the hard way that windex contains ammonia and switch contacts really don't like ammonia at all. I'll never do that again.
Old 10th July 2005
Lives for gear

Washing-up liquid lotion like you use for dishes is best for picking up particles. It is being used in professional applications.

Wring out the sponge or cloth so that it won´t seep and work with that.

Ruphus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search