The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Proposal Made to Seize Supreme Court Justice's New Hampshire Home
Old 29th June 2005
jordan19 
Thumbs up Proposal Made to Seize Supreme Court Justice's New Hampshire Home

In the spirit of the Supreme Court's recent ruling, someone proposed to turn Justice Souter's home into a hotel.

"The justification for such an eminent domain action is that our hotel will better serve the public interest as it will bring in economic development and higher tax revenue to Weare," Logan Darrow Clements of California wrote in a letter faxed to town officials in Weare on Tuesday.

Souter, a longtime Weare resident, joined in the 5-4 court decision allowing governments to seize private property from one owner and turn it over to another if doing so would benefit a community.

"Am I taking this seriously? But of course," said Charles Meany, Weare's code enforcement officer. "In lieu of the recent Supreme Court decision, I would imagine that some people are pretty much upset. If it is their right to pursue this type of end, then by all means let the process begin."

Full Story Here.

I don't know about the rest of ya, but this little piece of news gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside How sweet the taste of democracy would be if the proposal is initiated by the city. A little humbling experience wouldn't hurt these "Justices" one bit.
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Does the phrase "unintended consequences" come to anyone's mind?
Old 29th June 2005
There is only one

oh man i hope they swipe the property.

holy crap taxman:
"Souter's two-story colonial farmhouse is assessed at a little more than $100,000 and brought in $2,895 in property taxes last year."

those are some HIGH property taxes.... and i was complaining about mine.
Old 29th June 2005
Here for the gear

can i get a boo-ya?
Old 29th June 2005
Here for the gear

poetic justice; or irony....alanis morrisette style!
Old 29th June 2005
That is sweet!

D
Old 29th June 2005
jordan19 
irony lol? this takes it to a new level.

you don't know whether to root for the guy or not. if he's successful and his business takes off, it may reinforce the Supreme Court's ruling and the occurance of such a situation might become commonplace.

successful or not, it still doesn't change the fact though that the ruling was a bull**** decision by bull**** people who don't give a bull's **** about other people's **** (Hopefully Jules won't censor me this time lol...)

in any case, a massive number of people are gonna throw support behind this guy... i doubt he'll have any problems finding investors if he gets the OK from the city. I'm sure a signature petition would be in the works if they didn't OK it.

and just look at this little Souter weasel...
Attached Thumbnails
Proposal Made to Seize Supreme Court Justice's New Hampshire Home-souter.jpg  
Old 29th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajerk
holy crap taxman:
"Souter's two-story colonial farmhouse is assessed at a little more than $100,000 and brought in $2,895 in property taxes last year."

Mine are MORE than 3 times that.

Can I have an "ouch?"

Old 30th June 2005
There is only one

3 times that per $100k? yeah you can say ouch... hope you keep lube handy.
Old 30th June 2005
As I stated on another forum - someone should do this to all five justices who brought on this judgement...
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

It really pisses me off that I actually agree with Justice Antonin Scalia on something....
Old 30th June 2005
500 series nutjob

it would be nice to see him pay.
i hate to say that but.
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.
Mine are MORE than 3 times that.

Can I have an "ouch?"

wow, what is that... 8.4%?

I thought we were in bad shape @ 2.4 points....

There is a lake near here that has brutal taxes... lake frontage is 10K per foot per year in property taxes.
Old 30th June 2005
jordan19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
It really pisses me off that I actually agree with Justice Antonin Scalia on something....
heh
Old 30th June 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
holy crap taxman:

Actually, the assessed value for tax purposes and the market price are two different things. Where I live (near Cleveland) the assessed tax value of a house is usually about a third of the market value. Around here each $100K of assessed value is taxed at about $4000/year. So a guy whose house is assessed at $100K might pay $4000 in property tax, but he's actually got a $300K house.
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

Clarification - our property taxes are close to $10k. (below the threshold of hearing/reasoning)

And yes, the lube is handy and used every 6 months when the bill comes.

Property values here are absolutley insane. They say a 30% increase in the last year alone.

Old 30th June 2005
Gear Guru
Quote:
oh man i hope they swipe the property.

holy crap taxman:

Yeah, but NH has no sales tax, so they have to get it from somewhere.

And if you pass through, DO hit a liquor store and stock up. cheap booze!
Old 1st July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R.
Clarification - our property taxes are close to $10k. (below the threshold of hearing/reasoning)

And yes, the lube is handy and used every 6 months when the bill comes.

Property values here are absolutley insane. They say a 30% increase in the last year alone.

Yeah, property values have gone nuts out there. In the mid-90's 2 friends and I used to rent a pretty nice loft in downtown LA for $1600/month -- it was almost 4000 square feet. In '96 or so we rented a rougher unfinished space (near 7th and Central) at $1200/month for 4500 square feet. I hear that loft condos downtown are selling for $400-$500 a square foot now. That's mental.
Old 1st July 2005
There is only one

yeah, thankfully assessed and market values are two totally different things... mine is assessed at half of what its worth.
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
yeah, thankfully assessed and market values are two totally different things... mine is assessed at half of what its worth.
Warch out. The local municipalites have been squeezed from every direction and they are jacking up the property assessments to bring them closer to reality. You might say it is another new tax in the era of Bush "tax cuts".

It is already happening in my area big time.
Old 2nd July 2005
jordan19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Warch out. The local municipalites have been squeezed from every direction and they are jacking up the property assessments to bring them closer to reality. You might say it is another new tax in the era of Bush "tax cuts".

It is already happening in my area big time.
Speakin of your area lol, whatsup with Minnesota's government shutting down. For the love of God how much political bs are we going to have to witness these days.

It's only gonna get worse, as hard as that is to imagine. Can't wait to see what stike stike Ted Kennedy stike stike has to say about a Sandra Day O'Connor replacement. That ought to be some nice fireworks.

Old 3rd July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
Speakin of your area lol, whatsup with Minnesota's government shutting down. For the love of God how much political bs are we going to have to witness these days.

I don't know. But they can't blame Jesse. heh
Old 3rd July 2005
Deleted bd1be4f 
Man, those are some crazy property taxes. Thankfully, here in FL we have the Homestead Exemption, which limits the amount property taxes can rise each year. My townhouse has a $200K market value, and the taxes are about $1200/yr.

Downside is that property taxes here are assessed based on a property's sale value, so it makes moving a dicey proposition. So you literally have neighborhoods where an owner who bought his house for $50,000 20 years ago paying $1500/year, and the guy next door who just bought the house for $400,000 paying $10,000/year.

Right now we're pushing the state to institute a cap you can take with you if you're a previous homeowner, so you don't get reamed moving from one house to another.
Old 3rd July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19
I don't know about the rest of ya, but this little piece of news gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside How sweet the taste of democracy would be if the proposal is initiated by the city. A little humbling experience wouldn't hurt these "Justices" one bit.
"Democracy" is maybe the wrong word to describe giving the government more power to seize property and dole it out as they wish. I wonder how long it will be before Trump gets that little old ladies house next to Trump Towers that he wanted to turn into parking or some **** (he tried to get her kicked out / condemned, she fought him and won).

If you live near an interestate, I'd say beware. Exit properties are notoriously expensive, but to be able to go to a town and buy your property for "fair value" which might be 1/5 the price (including your house) that it would be on an existing interstate exit...then turn it into an exit...now it's worth 5x as much...see where this could go? Great way to force a sale on private property on the cheap and develop it into a great value overnight...then just resell and forget about those folks you displaced and dicked over.

Damn dangerous stuff.

War
Old 3rd July 2005
jordan19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
"Democracy" is maybe the wrong word to describe giving the government more power to seize property and dole it out as they wish.
Good point. Maybe "justice" would've been better suited; although the irony of the situation is so twisted that in essence there can't possibly be justice for either side in simply fighting fire with fire.

For what it's worth, Tom Delay (...man I can't believe I actually said his name without gagging...) and a few other suits have legislation in the works to reverse the ruling.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search