The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need directions? Google maps beats EVERYTHING
Old 27th June 2005
Mindreader

Need directions? Google maps beats EVERYTHING

http://maps.google.com/

Try using the directions thing, it's awesome. ability to zoom away from the map, but STILL be able to drag around on it at the same resolution with the route INTACT and a list of directions, and also the ability to zoom into the actual location in a different window without losing your place just means this is an incredible piece of technology.

Not only that, you press the Satellite button - shows you the satelite image

US & UK at the moment only I think

I amazed at what Google labs have gotten out of the humble browser recently. Google mail beats everything hands down too, and has stuff like spellcheck and stuff just as if you were using a specialized app.

Bev

PS I know this is old news but compared to streetmap.co.uk and multimap.co.uk this just completely takes the piss, AND with no crap advertising
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

The satelite map is shoking, zoom out to "earth" view and then close up right at my home so you can see cars parking there. Not all the places are covered, but if the are... wohoo I never thought I'd see something like that. Who knows, in some years it will be much more precise and in some more years even live webcam
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Guru

wow!

thanks ...
Old 30th June 2005
There is only one

the directions on google SUCK. the drive this weekend it wants me to ADD two hours onto my trip to shave off 30 miles against mapquest. mapquest beat it by a long shot.

the satellite thing is cool but my house isnt on them yet.... just an empty lot.
Old 1st July 2005
Not sure if it applies to this thread but, you should read up on what Google is trying to do. Especially if you dis-like Microsoft.

Google is trying to religate MS to being the OS only.
Taking them out of the game in regards to the Internet and Internet services.
They are not trying to replace applications per say.

It is quite interesting.

D
Old 1st July 2005
There is only one

was MS even IN the "internet services game"? i dont remember them being a content contender ever, trying with MSN but losing to AOL, though IE did beat out netscape, but thats browsers.

google needs to keep focusing on what it does... being a search engine.

maps are fine and dandy, but there is yahoo maps, and mapquest... and im sure a handful of others as well. my most recent search was very bad on googles part and doesnt give the options that mapquest gives, but they have been doing it a LOT longer.

MS is hardly just an OS. their Office suite is quite nice and certainly the standards in wp, sh, and pp.

adobe is the master of pdf's [though recently aquiring macromedia and Flashpapers might see some things changing for net delivery].
Old 5th July 2005
Mindreader

I tried mapquest over the weekend to get from south to north london addresses.

Sucky route.

I think the lesson here is if you know more than nothing about the general area, try a few of these map services and see which route you like the look of!

Mapquest hadn't factored in that the North Circular is a piece of crap.

Bev
Old 5th July 2005
Nice one Bevvy! Google Maps has come on loads since I last looked at it about 3 months ago.

However for us outdoorsy types the Ordnance Survey still rule the roost;
UK Ordnance Survey Mapping.

But if that was scrollable and had the satellite images it would be the best of both worlds!
Old 5th July 2005
Lives for gear

On the "take a tour" page Google notes this is Beta. That's good. I tried five different routes and compared the Google directions to Mapquest and Mapquest was 100% more direct/better every time. I have confidence they will get it right sooner or later.
Old 5th July 2005
Jai guru deva om

Yahoo Maps has by far served me best, Mapquest sucks in my experience.

War
Old 6th July 2005
There is only one

mine were perfect directions... made it an hour and a half quicker than they said i would

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search