The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Prosecutor: New Jersey boys' deaths accidental
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Guru

Prosecutor: New Jersey boys' deaths accidental

CAMDEN, New Jersey (CNN) -- Autopsy results show three boys found dead in a car trunk suffocated, and their deaths have been ruled accidental, Camden County Prosecutor Vincent Sarubbi said Saturday.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/25/mis...oys/index.html

Umm, I'm sorry folks, but this was the most inept search I have ever heard of. There have been so many of these cases where kids have got locked in car trunks. And this car was right near the house! Plus,

Quote:
At least one of the children, he said, had a history of playing in the car, and investigators believe the three boys climbed into the trunk themselves. The trunk's lid closed automatically, Sarubbi said.
After reading about these horrible accidents, from a very young age I started telling my kids to NEVER get in the trunk of a car.

And,

Quote:
Also speaking at the Saturday news conference, Camden Police Chief Edwin Figueroa said if investigators had checked the trunk when they were first called in, the children might have survived.

"It's premature to determine what mistakes were made, if any mistakes were made," said Figueroa.

Quote:
The car was parked just in a shady area about 30 yards from the back of the Cruz home.
And they would still be looking for the missing kids if not for:
Quote:
The boys' bodies were found Friday night, when a relative opened the trunk looking for jumper cables to use on his own car battery, Sarubbi said. The father of one of the children, who was standing behind the car when the relative pulled the latch from inside the car, jumped away screaming and sobbing after the grim discovery
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Addict

Very scary. As a parent of a toddler, there are just so many things to keep up with. Car trunks just made the list. Thanks for the post and a few more worries.
Old 25th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaos
Very scary. As a parent of a toddler, there are just so many things to keep up with. Car trunks just made the list. Thanks for the post and a few more worries.
Scare him/her about the trunk thing right away. It is a serious situation, there have been many horrific cases.
Old 25th June 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaos
Whatever happened to the attempt to require car manufacturers to have a trunk release latch as standard equipment? Seems it was YEARS ago that the subject was being talked about, but nothing seems to have been done. It shouldn't be too hard to do and I doubt it would raise the price much. I remember lotsa resistance from the manufacturers, though.
Old 26th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpowrd
Whatever happened to the attempt to require car manufacturers to have a trunk release latch as standard equipment? Seems it was YEARS ago that the subject was being talked about, but nothing seems to have been done. It shouldn't be too hard to do and I doubt it would raise the price much. I remember lotsa resistance from the manufacturers, though.
It was made mandatory in 2002. I have a 2001 Mercury that has the inside release. It is the older cars you need to worry about.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search