The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
F1 race on Sunday..
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

F1 race on Sunday..

Anyone catch the race sunday at Indiniapolis?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/ti...tkBHNlYwM3MTg-

It was really really strange to watch. Good news is that this is a huge benefit for Ferrari Who is having a bad year.

I'm glad they won and think the outcome speaks for itself. It's sad that the US had to experience this. F1's having a bit of trouble breaking into this Nascar infested country anyway.
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Nut

well, all this was only possible, cos F1 is a constructors championship in the first place. With constructors competing and going to their limits and beyond, such things can always happen (but shouldn't). F1 is very different from series like NASCAR or ChampCar etc. cos they run all the same material with only very little individual changes. So their material is proven. With F1 you have always changes to the regulations because constructors are getting cars to fast and therefore too dangerous for drivers (and spectators). Like in this season FIA has decided to allow F1 teams only one set of tires per race/qualifying. This is very demanding for tire constructors, cos they have to build a competitive tyre on one hand and on the other it still has to be quick from the first till the last lap. Last year they only had to build a tyre which was good for 20 laps and was then changed during pit stops.. so three sets of tires per race and some more sets for practice sessions and qualifying... So I don't know if the new tire regulation was a good idea to slow down cars...
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5
What the FIA would like to do is go back to a single tire manufacturer for all the cars...right now they have 2.
I think this whole debacle might have something to do with that. It appears that Bridgestone is in the running for the deal heh
yeah, guess that would be the best solution for the sport..
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Weird, pointless and utterly beyond belief.

And I'm one of the guys that gets up at 4.45am to watch the damn things!

Personally, I'm a Tifosi myself, but to win under those circumstances can't be good for anyone. In fact comment from the drivers said pretty much that.

For me, F1 is seriously in danger of becoming more enjoyable for keeping up to date with the political ramification of each season's rule changes, than it is for the racing itself.

I long for the time when motorsport fans will have a "statement" sport at the cutting edge of technological innovation coupled with drivers who are pushed to their limit related to their driving skill. F1 used to be it, but I'm not sure it's any longer the case.

As to the race itself, it's patently obvious to me where the blame lies (Michelin, duh), but the responsibility lies firmly with the FIA and their continual attempts to dumb down a sport that should be pushing boundaries, rather than curbing them.

My hope is that the FIA takes some drastic measures to ensure the future of the sport is given every supportive measure possible to avoid what was, frankly, a hugely embarrasing farce for everyone invloved, including those US fans who had paid money to end up watching a one-horse race between a seven-times world champion and his back-up driver. And if that means everyone races on the same (manufacturers) tires, and gets to change them during pit stops, then so be it.

Let's hope the outcome is resolved somewhat by the time we get to Magny-Cours.

Cheers,

bdp
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

I live in Indy - was not at the race, although I've bought tickets every year F1 has been here. My wife and in-laws were there. I'm just a casual fan of racing who enjoys that aspect of living in Indianapolis - but I won't be renewing my F1 tickets for next year - not if they expect more of my money anyway.

Here's a lot of good info about F1 http://www.planet-f1.com/

A photo from the local paper
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

http://www.very.de/
the more I listened, the more I laughed.
Old 26th June 2005
Lives for gear

yeah, but more importantly.... where is the F1 release from EASPORTS??? The NASCAR game just doesn't hack it if you're an F1 guy like myself...

NIGEL MANSEL through the chicane!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search