The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pink Floyd's guitarist has a history of generous, understated philanthropy.
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Guru

Pink Floyd's guitarist has a history of generous, understated philanthropy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...508325,00.html

The Guardian profile: David Gilmour

Pink Floyd's guitarist has a history of generous, understated philanthropy. Now the man who sold his £3.6m house to fund a project for the homeless has gone one further: ending a bitter 22-year feud to perform at Live 8
Old 21st June 2005
Well he discovered & developed Kate Bush too!
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Well he discovered & developed Kate Bush too!
for which i will forever be thankful.
plus rumour has it she has a new album coming out.

not to mention that the man can REALLY play the guitar.

FM

FM will walk, but never run.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Great Guy, great music.

It mustn´t always be, you can have a Harry Belafonte ( great singer, but cheesy music ) who was doing stuff of not too much my taste, but being a very heartful man who has been essentially donating all the time.

And you can have ZZTop on the other side who are supposed to be rednecks who probably don´t contribute much to anybody ( maybe donating for KKK? ), but what can I do, I dig their rock just for the musics sake.

To hear that Mr. Gilmour seriously cares for homeless seems a wonderful coincidence of both though, great music, great man.

Ruphus
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

for me

kate's the greatest gift.............
those first five records..................
amazing
Old 21st June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruphus
And you can have ZZTop on the other side who are supposed to be rednecks who probably don´t contribute much to anybody ( maybe donating for KKK? ), but what can I do, I dig their rock just for the musics sake.
Not my experience at all, though I only have my time working with them to base it on, not rumors and/or incredibly tasteless presumptions...
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Respect

ruudman
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
Not my experience at all, though I only have my time working with them to base it on, not rumors and/or incredibly tasteless presumptions...
Well, I´ve actually been hoping to hear something concretely different to give me some ease with listening to their music.

What rumors are concerned somehow the press must have come to it. But they didn´t approach the band that close like you, I guess ...

Which of their albums did you work on, if I may ask?

... Not necessary. I looked it up. You did the editing on the XXX album.

With my last tiny little, uncomparable project here we had the most conversation during recording state though. I don´t think the artists would have been telling me too much of their political persuasions while sliding around waveforms on the monitor.
Actually, that kind of work must be when the artists are most absent of the studio in a way I suppose.

Ruphus
Old 21st June 2005
Quote:
With my last tiny little, uncomparable project here we had the most conversation during recording state though. I don´t think the artists would have been telling me too much of their political persuasions while sliding around waveforms on the monitor.
Actually, that kind of work must be when the artists are most absent of the studio in a way I suppose.
It amazes me that instead of admitting that you said such nasty things about someone whom you don't know, you instead resort to implications that I hadn't the chance to know them, even though they did everything but master the record there at the studio where I was employed at the time...

Truly sad when it's more important to be perceived as correct than to do the right thing. I'd say many of us could learn from mister Gilmour's example...
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidsroom
for me

kate's the greatest gift.............
those first five records..................
amazing
absolutely. thumbsup

FM

FM is suspended in gaffa.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
Truly sad when it's more important to be perceived as correct than to do the right thing. I'd say many of us could learn from mister Gilmour's example...
The funny thing is that over the last occasions were you contributed to threads after me it appeared like it was like just for implicitely proving the opposite. And that accidentally after I had questioned about a mastering example from you whether it was somewhat low in volume, without any bad intensions and seriously meant, but seemingly apprehended as a sacrilege.

There has been a rumor quite a while ago about the guys from ZZ Top being connected to Kukuxklan and while it can and does happen that rumors come out of nowhere I have been wondering since how that rumor got on its way.

The rumor, respectively me can well be questioning erroneously. But you having met the band alone mustn´t mean that it´s just been a rumor.
The one thing I know about that organization is that typically its members wouldn´t run around and tell everybody they meet of their membership. Rather wouldn´t members of that club even tell to people who really knew them.

In a way I had been hoping someone to show a link to a statement of the band dissociating themselves from that organization.

Ruphus
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Guru

Gilmour's philosophy comes out in his music and lyrics. He needn't say more.

(oh, and his actions)
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
There has been a rumor quite a while ago about the guys from ZZ Top being connected to Kukuxklan and while it can and does happen that rumors come out of nowhere I have been wondering since how that rumor got on
Ruphus
I guess some clever soul figured out a connection between 'XXX' and 'KKK' while watching the Wizard of Oz backwards or something.

This is bull****! All I know is that ZZ Top were a major force behind the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale and generally always spread the word of the blues and its legacy.

The Muddywood guitar? It MUST be about the defilation of a sacred blues site and therefore it's racist act, right??

Ruphus, what have you been smoking lately?

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 21st June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
Gilmour's philosophy comes out in his music and lyrics. He needn't say more.

(oh, and his actions)
Exactly. I have always loved his music, but to find out how much he does behind the scenes to help folks less fortunate is very cool!
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
The Muddywood guitar? It MUST be about the defilation of a sacred blues site and therefore it's racist act, right??
Is that insider talk or scribble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker
Ruphus, what have you been smoking lately?

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
That is comprehensive.
The answer is good grass grown up by a friend. But that´s for the last years.
The rumor however was from before that. Long before any album named XXX.

The weird thing is that it was quite spread, but as I found out today it seems wiped from earth. Not a single link on google about it.

But as you know the answer so certain, I shall enjoy the music without doubts now. ;O/

Ruphus
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is that insider talk or scribble?
The birthplace of Muddy Waters, a log cabin in Rolling Fork was restored and (I believe) moved to another location. Billy Gibbons took a plank of wood out of it and had his 'Muddywood' guitar made from it in honor of the great man and electric blues pionieer.
It's now on display at the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale/Mississippi:
http://www.deltabluesmuseum.com/

As far as I know from interviews, Billy F. Gibbons is a real dedicated musicologist with a mission to keep the blues legacy alive.

He might vote Republican, but that doesn't give you the right to make cheap accusations.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 22nd June 2005
Gear Addict

I know nothing of the politics of the lads from ZZ Top, but it seems that their promotion of the blues and it's pioneers would be inconsistent with a racist outlook. I do know that my wife's cousin, a soundguy who has worked with a number of great bands, said that the Toppers were great guys who hung out with the crew and were very down to earth. Take care Logan
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

Really appreciate to hear that.
Might and at best shall have been a mortifying accusation from me.

Was out to hear easening news on the old rumor.

Thanks,

Ruphus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search