The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Talk Talk-spirit of eden/laughing stock
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

Talk Talk-spirit of eden/laughing stock

Being listener of these two records for years,i was wondering if there are a few of you out there!?
Anyone thats reading this that has not heard 'spirit of eden' or 'laughing stock' but knows or likes earlier pop sounding Talk Talk should check them out as they are a major departure from say 'its my life' etc..BTW i love some of the earlier stuff too but time and time again return to these last two records and am always totally consumed when i do..
Ive just had Mark Hollis's solo record from 98 on and like it but it does'nt have the intensity of those two T Talk records..Fantastic bunch of musicians on the records too!!
Anyone know much about the producer Tim Frees Green? Is Hollis still writing/recording??? Hear even less these days...
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

Amazing records indeed.

Mark Hollis has retired from the music industry.

There are some excellent memoirs of the sessions by Phil Brown that were featured in Tape Op I think, but I just had a hunt online and couldn't find them. Sorry. Worth trying to find though.
Old 16th August 2008
Here for the gear

Three of my favorite recordings. I think I heard that they were tracked on a 15 bit Mitsubishi digital tape recorder.

It's very strange, you cannot find anything about Mark Hollis anywhere. His solo cd is fantastic too if more sparse. Love it and him.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

I love love love Laughing Stock.

It is quite possibly the ONLY record I recommend to everyone I meet regardless of their musical taste.

And I'm probably in the minority here but I also think via it's ambiance, scope and ambition that it must have been a very influential album within the early Chicago Post-Rock scene.

If you like Tortoise you'll LOVE Laughing Stock.

Oh man, such a classic. I'ma listen to it right now!

R.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

My good friend and musical collaborator, Dave Brown, and I have remarked that these three records would be our choices of what should go into a time capsule, to be unearthed many decades from now. I'm including the Hollis solo recording with the two referenced in the thread title. As Dave and I see it, this music probably represents the best created by the human condition. Sounds bogus probably, but the guys responding here might well appreciate the sentiment.

John-
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Maniac

The engineer Phil Brown, who also recorded Hollis's first solo record, deserves a lot of the credit for Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stalk. They are extraordinary works to say the least.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

i bought spirit of eden a few years ago really liked it.....
need to find the cd......

- jack
Old 16th August 2008
Wow, that is some good stuff. It's like Cream Meets Radiohead or something, or Stevie Winwood Meets Radiohead perhaps.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.F. View Post
Amazing records indeed.

Mark Hollis has retired from the music industry.

There are some excellent memoirs of the sessions by Phil Brown that were featured in Tape Op I think, but I just had a hunt online and couldn't find them. Sorry. Worth trying to find though.
I thought Phil Brown was going to write a book or something. Never happened? I would buy 2 copies.
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Head

2 records i go back to time again for a creative spark. They never sound out of date.
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Spirit of Eden is one of my favorite albums of all time.

One of the most amazing moments is the boy's choir in the chorus of "I believe in you". That's a holy **** moment to me.

I love the drum sounds (never a snare strainer engaged), the ride cymbal (sounds like it's got duct tape on it). I think this album has the greatest organ sounds I know of, and an unparalleled depth. The story of it's making is incredible. It's documented in Tape Op's Phil Brown Series from many years back.

I wonder why some conversations such as Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" retain high end status, while this album, a major creative and technical feat, with big players and one hell of a great story behind it, end up tucked away in shoot the breeze territory? Not to take anything away from Fleetwood Mac (I LOOOOOVE Fleetwood Mac), but more people should know this album and the technical achievement that it is.

Start a new thread to discuss the technical aspects, maybe?
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

There definitely is something out there written about Laughing Stock. I just can't remember where I saw it.

This is getting into chinese whispers now so don't take it word for word but I remember something about how they recorded entire string sections but then only used the spot mic on, say, the cello for their 'string' sound and then another where they mic'd up the drum kit but ended up using a mic tucked away behind a gobo for that particular drum sound.

Sounded pretty open and out-of-the-box thinking so to speak.

I'm going to have to check out Spirit of Eden again. It just I'm so... loyal Laughing Stock! heh

R.
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Addict

Smile Cool response and info on Talk Talk..

Its great to come back and read all the replies and info regarding these two or three records...Perhaps might even draw more listeners who haven't heard the later work..!
They are for me two rare records that i keep coming back to listen to..Its been years now,but still every 12-18 months, a good dose and blast!! Both of them ive had to replace worn or lost copies every now and then!!!
The textures,layers,sound and songs are just mind blowing..Very honest and its quite amazing to think that they or Hollis had had real big 80s pop hits and then made Spirit of Eden...then laughing stock.Its also quite wonderful in the sense that those two records haven't dated and sound fresh,unique and contempory today...No Linn drum or huge gated snares there!!!
I was not aware it was done on the Mitsubishi X850[or similar X...??]..Interesting..Perhaps avoiding wear and top end loss of analog tape on such a project..Either way its sound is in Hollis ,the amazing musicians and production team...
2 records that are for life and not just christmas!!
Cheers for interesting info and replies...
On Tortoise,i always liked the first one,i think [the one with circles in squares on the cover] but yeah!! Great band...
Nice one!!
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Addict

certain records...

Yeah bdmctear, the choir moment on 'I believe in you' is something..!!
You are right about these two records not being more known but i guess they are pushing into wild musical sound/direction..But as all these replies show,fans are out there..I have a few friends that know and love these LPs..[but musicians,engineers etc..] Not many and i can't imagine many music listeners out there who know and listen due to music politics and commercial pressure but i guess in the long term it would be a great shame if they get lost and are not easily available in the future..In fact its quite a scary prospect to think of certain interesting creative works sinking into oblivion.!!!
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_wilson View Post
Three of my favorite recordings. I think I heard that they were tracked on a 15 bit Mitsubishi digital tape recorder.

It's very strange, you cannot find anything about Mark Hollis anywhere. His solo cd is fantastic too if more sparse. Love it and him.
I believe they were recorded on a Studer, but Brown, realizing the project would go through many many stages immediately backed up and edited all takes to the Mitsubishi. Later he'd fly in performances, as I understand it, largely on his own creative impetus.

I might be a little hazy on the details, so find that issue of Tape Op! It's a great read!
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Were these the only 3 albums (spirit, laughing stock and mark hollis) of music ever released in the history of mankind, i would feel that all would be satisfied.

Compositionally, sonically, emotionally complete in every way.
Old 18th August 2008
Here for the gear

You know, I asked a friend with access to SoundScan the other day to see how those records do/did. I think Laughing Stock has sold like 3500 copies this year which actually ain't too bad although she had trouble deciphering the sales info.

I have a mental picture of what the control room looked like during mixing, with everyone's eyes closed and concentrating!

Found the article:
ProSoundWeb | Phill Brown

I smiled when Mark Hollis said he wanted to sound like a 50's jazz recording cuz I've been saying the same thing.
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Addict

Thumbs up

Cheers Patrick for the article! Nice one! Great read!!
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

a few more for you guys:

The index:

Within Without - an unofficial Mark Hollis and Talk Talk homepage

Mark and Phill about Laughing Stock

Talk Talk Technical Story

Another Phill Brown

Mark Hollis Interview
Old 3rd September 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sui_City View Post
a few more for you guys:

The index:

Within Without - an unofficial Mark Hollis and Talk Talk homepage

Mark and Phill about Laughing Stock

Talk Talk Technical Story

Another Phill Brown

Mark Hollis Interview
thank you
Old 4th September 2008
Gear Head

real touchstone albums for me too! "colour of spring" is up there for me as well, some beautiful moments on it that make "spirit of eden" seem like a natural next-step. truly an underrated band, and i don't know if mark hollis ever really got the credit he deserved for being as bold and influential as he was.
Old 4th September 2008
Lives for gear

I love the single "It's My Life." It's a gr8 pop song.

If you like Talk Talk, you should also check out the band Erasure.

For me the two must have albums by Talk, Talk are Natural History and Laughing Stock.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Head

If you want to really hear some talk, talk Czech this out!

http://www.filedropper.com/talktalk
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by csilt View Post
If you want to really hear some talk, talk Czech this out!

Free File Hosting - File Dropper: File Host for Mp3, Videos, Music, Documents.
Sorry, did i miss something?

Link goes straight to filedropper
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Head

this is strange that that link did not work properly I think it is a strange website here is another site so that you can download talk, talk this one should work properly like a good little website should

Talk Talk.mp3
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolo View Post
Being listener of these two records for years,i was wondering if there are a few of you out there!?
Anyone thats reading this that has not heard 'spirit of eden' or 'laughing stock' but knows or likes earlier pop sounding Talk Talk should check them out as they are a major departure from say 'its my life' etc..BTW i love some of the earlier stuff too but time and time again return to these last two records and am always totally consumed when i do..
Ive just had Mark Hollis's solo record from 98 on and like it but it does'nt have the intensity of those two T Talk records..Fantastic bunch of musicians on the records too!!
Anyone know much about the producer Tim Frees Green? Is Hollis still writing/recording??? Hear even less these days...
Tim doesnt record bands anymore but he does his own stuff..Mark quit music in the commercial sence and Phill is the only one really active it seems...amazing records..Spirit Of Eden is one of the best sounding records ive ever heard and it pisses me off when u see the top 100 albums ever and its the usual..never see a talk talk album which is a shame
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

add me to the list of worshippers of those three records.....

......... don't forget Colour of Spring..... definitely moments of foreshadowing their later greatness.

In fact, I don't mind some of the early synth stuff. There is at least a depth of structure in those songs that few bands of that era/genre could display.
Old 5th December 2008
Lives for gear

Oh and certainly at least listen to the Rustin Man Beth Gibbons record. Phill Brown did it, and Lee Harris and Paul Webb of TT/O.Rang fame are on it. Worthy stuff.
Old 8th December 2008
Lives for gear

yeah O Rang stuff is interesting
Old 16th December 2008
wow. glad this stuff is getting some love round here. incredible music on every level. Mark's voice has a unique character to it - like an oboe or a mute trumpet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search