The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how best to deal with FEDEX on a damage claim? Audio Interfaces
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Unhappy how best to deal with FEDEX on a damage claim?

I just bought a costly rack-mount piece of pro audio gear on Ebay.

I asked the shipper to insure it for the price I paid. (I have yet to confirm if they did or did not)

I picked up the item this evening, got it home, and opened the box to find that both the rack ears were severely bent in shipping.

There is some evidence of crushing on the inner box.

I’ll take it back to Fedex tomorrow to inquire …. but….. anyone here with tips as how best to proceed?

Yes - I did use PayPal to pay for the item - not that that will do me any good….

thanks!
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Oh man, I feel for you. I got one of an Akai Z4 sampler from Fed Ex with the buttons broken and evidence of other wear and tear and it was beeeatch to get takin care of. What made it all the more annoying was that I had paid extra for insurance and they still gave me a hard time. Not to mention I had the place where I shipped it from package it for me. Luckily that place did much of the work for me and eventually I got my money but that was ridiculous. After that experience I prefer UPS which I used to work for when I was in college and I've never had anything broken when shipping with UPS, go union!
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

i just read online that I have to keep the packaging, no matter what... or else Fedex will refuse any claim..........
Old 9th August 2008
Fed Ex will find a way to not pay for damage. They will blaim the packer, the weight of the item shipped, it's original condition, anything to not pay. I once had a U-47 tube damaged in shipment, the shipper triple boxed it and followed Fed Ex's guidlines for packing to the letter and beyond. It was insured for $8,000. Fed Ex publishes a pamphlet for "proper" packing. It's a ruse.

They sent a "packing engineer" over from the corporate tower in Universal City to inspect the item and packaging. This guy had a degree in Christmas gift wrapping or something. He showed me the marks made by their ramps, how packages are rolled down on top of each other in bins before loading, everything he knew. He inspected the triple boxing, measured the proper distances between layers, the works. He didn't have any calipers, but I would have lended him mine if needed.

He said everything was done properly and a check for the mic repair would probably be issued.

Three weeks later I got my answer: your claim is denied. I asked why, they said the item was too fragile to ship! That was their determination although they know nothing about microphones.

I suggest you rent the movie, "Castaway". Watch the first 1/3 of the movie. Cheer when the Fed Ex plane goes down. It's good therapy. That's all you're going to get.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Fed Ex will find a way to not pay for damage. They will blaim the packer, the weight of the item shipped, it's original condition, anything to not pay. I once had a U-47 tube damaged in shipment, the shipper triple boxed it and followed Fed Ex's guidlines for packing to the letter and beyond. It was insured for $8,000. Fed Ex publishes a pamphlet for "proper" packing. It's a ruse.

They sent a "packing engineer" over from the corporate tower in Universal City to inspect the item and packaging. This guy had a degree in Christmas gift wrapping or something. He showed me the marks made by their ramps, how packages are rolled down on top of each other in bins before loading, everything he knew. He inspected the triple boxing, measured the proper distances between layers, the works. He didn't have any calipers, but I would have lended him mine if needed.

He said everything was done properly and a check for the mic repair would probably be issued.

Three weeks later I got my answer: your claim is denied. I asked why, they said the item was too fragile to ship! That was their determination although they know nothing about microphones.

I suggest you rent the movie, "Castaway". Watch the first 1/3 of the movie. Cheer when the Fed Ex plane goes down. It's good therapy. That's all you're going to get.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
man, what a huge drag!
Old 9th August 2008
JMc
Gear Addict

Your only real leverage is with the seller. Keep the lines of communication open, don't become hostile. If you thought it was insured, or paid extra for insurance, then you should be fine.

Several months ago, I bought a vintage Marantz receiver on eBay that came in an aftermarket wood cabinet. It looked like it had been packed by a chimpanzee, using styrofoam, which of course, was obliterated. The receiver itself was fine, but the wood case was badly damaged.

I contacted the seller, who in turn had to file the claim with FedEx. Only the shipper can do this, and in the event the claim is paid, the shipper gets the check, which he should then forward to you.

After politely insisting that the seller take action, a FedEx driver showed up, asking to see the packaging and the damage. I thought for SURE they would disallow the claim based on the shoddy packaging, but there was clear damage to the outside of the box, which is probably what saved me. The driver wanted me to put the receiver back into the damaged wood case, then put that back in the box, so he could bring it back for examination. I refused. I told him he could take the damaged wood case, but there was no way in hell I was going to risk damaging the receiver.

Long story short, after several weeks of this mess, I received a check from the seller that was not the full amount of the purchase, but handily covered the wood case, which I wasn't crazy about to begin with.

To summarize: The seller is in the driver's seat, so try to be personable. If there was no insurance purchased, chalk it up to a learning experience. If the seller said it would be insured, and he failed to insure, then he is liable for the damage and you may have some recourse through PayPal in that case, and should leave him negative feedback if he's a jerk about it.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Start With Trust -- Start With BBB

alot more work, but they actually will help you.
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMc View Post
Your only real leverage is with the seller. Keep the lines of communication open, don't become hostile. If you thought it was insured, or paid extra for insurance, then you should be fine.

Several months ago, I bought a vintage Marantz receiver on eBay that came in an aftermarket wood cabinet. It looked like it had been packed by a chimpanzee, using styrofoam, which of course, was obliterated. The receiver itself was fine, but the wood case was badly damaged.

I contacted the seller, who in turn had to file the claim with FedEx. Only the shipper can do this, and in the event the claim is paid, the shipper gets the check, which he should then forward to you.

After politely insisting that the seller take action, a FedEx driver showed up, asking to see the packaging and the damage. I thought for SURE they would disallow the claim based on the shoddy packaging, but there was clear damage to the outside of the box, which is probably what saved me. The driver wanted me to put the receiver back into the damaged wood case, then put that back in the box, so he could bring it back for examination. I refused. I told him he could take the damaged wood case, but there was no way in hell I was going to risk damaging the receiver.

Long story short, after several weeks of this mess, I received a check from the seller that was not the full amount of the purchase, but handily covered the wood case, which I wasn't crazy about to begin with.

To summarize: The seller is in the driver's seat, so try to be personable. If there was no insurance purchased, chalk it up to a learning experience. If the seller said it would be insured, and he failed to insure, then he is liable for the damage and you may have some recourse through PayPal in that case, and should leave him negative feedback if he's a jerk about it.
awesome advice - thanks!!!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Old 9th August 2008
Lives for gear

Man... kinda sucks to get damaged items. I hope you purchased on a credit card....very easy to get a refund credited back to your card after calling the CC company. Never had a problem with FedEX over the years. But the folks I know that have, all were happy in the end. In fact, the driver that delivered to me would always tell me to open the box on the spot if it looked damaged. I also know that some slick sellers will ship broken items and blame the shipper.

Be sure to go back to the FedEX office you picked the item up from and file a claim in person ASAP. Phone reps CAN & WILL give you the run-around. Be as claim as you can but also speak loud enough so that the other customers can hear you clearly. "Fear of losing Business". heh

And as mentioned contact the seller ASAP.(sure you have already). I would also snap a few pics if you need to return it.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
...and I've never had anything broken when shipping with UPS, go union!

UPS left a MUTILATED(!) box on my doorstep from BHPhoto...

When I saw it sitting on the front porch I almost laughed out loud it was
so absurd.

B&H was very cool about the situation and sent
a new package right away.

My point is that I don't think ANY carrier is perfect. I've
had problems with all of them.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
wow. i've had ****ty epxeriences with all shippers but have never have to claim insurance...

so who do you use now when shipping expensive stuff?
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrue View Post
UPS left a MUTILATED(!) box on my doorstep from BHPhoto...

When I saw it sitting on the front porch I almost laughed out loud it was
so absurd.

B&H was very cool about the situation and sent
a new package right away.

My point is that I don't think ANY carrier is perfect. I've
had problems with all of them.
I've had so many problems with UPS its crazy. The final straw was when they left a few boxes at my front door all labeled "signature required". A few thousand dollars of gear. Nice! The boxes sat outside several hours.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

If your shipping or getting something very expensive shipped, I have found the best way to keep them from trying to screw you over is to ship through UPS using one of thier shipping stores. Pay the extra fee and have them package it. Then insure it. This way they are responsible for the whole thing. UPS is just at bad as FEDex at losing and damaging crap, but the two times they lost or damaged stuff, I had a check within two weeks.

UPS once left a squashed package on my doorstep with forklift tire tracks on it.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

You can file the claim yourself, but I do NOT recommend it.

This is the sellers problem. Make sure he files the claim. FedEx will inspect the packaging and determine whether the packing was sufficient. If is wasn't, they won't pay the claim. Otherwise they will pay.

If he didn't pack the item correctly and FedEx refuses to pay up, then it is the seller's responsibility to get you an unbroken (or fixed) version of what you bought.

DO NOT file this yourself. This is between the seller and FedEx. Your responsibility is to make sure you get the product you bought, not the broken thing that arrived at your door.

I've been through this already with an expensive item.
Old 10th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
You can file the claim yourself, but I do NOT recommend it.

This is the sellers problem. Make sure he files the claim. FedEx will inspect the packaging and determine whether the packing was sufficient. If is wasn't, they won't pay the claim. Otherwise they will pay.

If he didn't pack the item correctly and FedEx refuses to pay up, then it is the seller's responsibility to get you an unbroken (or fixed) version of what you bought.

DO NOT file this yourself. This is between the seller and FedEx. Your responsibility is to make sure you get the product you bought, not the broken thing that arrived at your door.

I've been through this already with an expensive item.
aha - excellent advice!!!!!

thanks!!!
Old 19th April 2016
Here for the gear

You, have no Idea how bad Fed ex is- I shipped a package COD and was guaranteed they would verify funds and that they would confirm the identity of who picked it up.

Another person showed up with a fraudulent check and he wasn't even the person named on the receipt. I am now out $5,500.00 and no watch. definitely was scammed but Fed ex Did nothing that they said they would do to verify payment or give to recipient listed on the package??????

they say they investigated it and did nothing wrong. It looked like a form letter that goes to any and everyone. Never use them again for anything
Old 19th April 2016
Fed Ex has always been horrible about paying claims. We try not to use them, especially for larger pieces like rack gear. If it's just the faceplate and the unit is working great, it might be worth it just to try to source a faceplate replacement which could easily only be $30-$50 depending on the brand (and if it's still made).
Old 19th April 2016
Lives for gear

You will have to get the seller/sender to file the claim. Fedex will not pay the claim to the recipient.
That being said, Fedex destroyed a very expensive piece of gear I bought...it's been about a decade now since it happened.
They picked it up to take it to their facilities to "inspect" it. They brought it back even more damaged, and then denied the claim.

Whatever you do, DO NOT LET THEM TAKE IT OUT OF YOUR POSSESSION FOR INSPECTION. Make them come to your home and inspect it while you supervise them.

I still wouldn't be hopeful that you'll get your money back though. My best advice is never to use Fedex. I only use USPS Priority or USPS Express. Pricey, but I've never had a problem. I think the less time a package is in a shipper's possession, the better.
Old 19th April 2016
Gear Head

I don't know where you live - usually FedEx delivers to your door (or to whatever address you have provided on EBay) - why did you have to go pick it up? Just curious but...it also applies to your claim for damages: The snag is that you took it home - if you had opened the box at the FedEx office (assuming that's where you picked it up) then, you would have REFUSED the parcel, file a claim and the seller would be responsible for your refund. You have nothing to do with the insurance because you didn't originate the shipping. When you ship an item, you the shipper will have to both buy and collect ins. in case of damage. Other arrangements made with buyers are between seller and buyers, no FedEx. Sorry for what you have to deal with.
Old 22nd April 2016
Gear Maniac

If filing a claim (yeah, there are always optimists...) requires being in possession of packaging, what is the best way to do this as a shipper? Have the buyer return the item AND the packaging in a box?
Old 22nd April 2016
The best way is to avoid using FedEx in the first place.

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I had a VERY similar experience, albeit with UPS.

Fedex, UPS, whoever....It can happen with any of them, and they will always find a way to weasel out of paying. I've had the least issues with USPS, but that may just be coincidence.

I have also had multiple experiences with bent rack ears. I just sucked it up and bent the ears back into position. :(

To the OP, if the gear is working and the damage is just cosmetic, you'll probably be best to just accept it for what it is and move on. This sounds like a stupid idea at surface value, but you'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration.

Life is too short to get caught up worrying about this sort of crap.
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear
I work for FedEx in corporate sales. As someone who actually knows what they're talking about, I will say this:

1. If you don't add insurance, the most you're getting is the free $100 of insurance. Nobody is going to let you buy insurance after the damage. You'd be amazed how many people ask, though.

2. If it isn't packaged well enough to survive significant jostling, small drops, and bumps, it hasn't been packaged well enough to pay a claim. If you just throw something in a box with nothing to protect it, you definitely won't get a claim paid. I also highly recommend against using used boxes- they are significantly structurally weakened most of the time. As a general rule, if you aren't ok dropping the package from waist height, I'd say you're putting the contents at risk. Remember, there are lots of big, heavy packages going down belts and ramps and sorting centers with yours.

3. The damage ratio on packages company wide is under 0.1%. When you ship millions of packages a day, it's a lot of packages, and therefore a lot of Internet complaining. Nobody gets on an Internet forum to praise a shipment arriving in undamaged. But your odds of damage are extremely low overall.

4. Yes, we will want to inspect/see pictures of high value items. If we paid every claim without question, we'd be broke tomorrow.

Last edited by dasnub; 22nd April 2016 at 10:56 PM..
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear
By the way, if you use the USPS for expensive items, you are asking for trouble. There will be nobody to help you. That's what you get with a union, government operation. I just bought a Metric Halo ULN8 on eBay and asked the shipper to FedEx it to me for $60, even though he was offering free USPS shipping.

I don't blame you if you think I'm biased. All I can tell you is I do this for 10 hours a day, and there is not a single shipper I have using the postal service for high value items. Not one.

I'm a musician and want other musicians to have a good experience. Hope these posts helped. I would 100% agree with the person who said make the shipper deal with the issue. High volume shipper have much more leverage than individuals.

Also- I highly recommend overnighting expensive items. Less time in transit means less damage. Not to mention, airplanes ride a lot smoother than trucks on crappy roads.
Old 22nd April 2016
Lives for gear

If its a used piece, plug it in. If it works fine, just bend the rack ears back in place and move on. I had the same thing happen. FEDEX, bent rack ear, box looked like it survived a blast. The unit worked fine.
Old 23rd April 2016
Gear Maniac

Is insurance the same thing as "declared value"? I'm looking at the receipt, that's what I see printed on it.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Ive had a better experience with Fedex than UPS. Especially with the quality of the delivery.

Ive had damaged items reimbursed by both companies. If a UPS authorized store packaged the item and has insurance its pretty straight forward. I bought an ebay item and the seller used fedex but packed it horribly. That is neglect on the sellers part. I made him handle the refund.
Old 23rd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdelurk View Post
Is insurance the same thing as "declared value"? I'm looking at the receipt, that's what I see printed on it.
If you are referring to an internationally shipped package, then no not at all. Declared value is for customs, insurance is purchased from the original shipping company to cover damage or loss.
Old 23rd April 2016
Gear Maniac

I am referring to a domestic package.

(Why this makes me think of a valet in a box?)
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post
By the way, if you use the USPS for expensive items, you are asking for trouble. There will be nobody to help you. That's what you get with a union, government operation. I just bought a Metric Halo ULN8 on eBay and asked the shipper to FedEx it to me for $60, even though he was offering free USPS shipping.

I don't blame you if you think I'm biased. All I can tell you is I do this for 10 hours a day, and there is not a single shipper I have using the postal service for high value items. Not one.

I'm a musician and want other musicians to have a good experience. Hope these posts helped. I would 100% agree with the person who said make the shipper deal with the issue. High volume shipper have much more leverage than individuals.

Also- I highly recommend overnighting expensive items. Less time in transit means less damage. Not to mention, airplanes ride a lot smoother than trucks on crappy roads.
Total biased BS!

Over the years I have found USPS to be the easiest and most liberal when it comes to claims, even when I would have thought it was insufficient packing, but then anytime something has Been "Proffesionaly packed" by the FedEx Office or UPS store it hasn't made it in one piece !
Then again I have seen Gear racked in Starcase shock racks that are packed with 2in. Of custom blown foam in a heavy duty Virgn card board box damaged by Fedex!

Also here's the thing with a USPS if you use say PayPal shipping the insurance is through a third party, but the Claim is filed by your Postmaster who has no skin in the game!

Yeah USPS sucks so bad, Funny thing his that Fedex has a major partner ship with USPS, funny how all 3 majors use each other's services along the way!

Oh best way to make claims easy? Work for a company that ships millions with one of them!
Personal claims go smoother when you can show how much biz is at your dis recreation , at least if you have a smart rep!
I will agree only virgin boxes, but use one rated at no less than 3 times the actual weight!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search