The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how best to deal with FEDEX on a damage claim? Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Just for the record.
I have about 135 gear transactions on eBay. Buy/Sell. All were shipped USPS except maybe 5...Not one issue.
However I've had, one FEDEX issue and one Purolator issue. Don't know why. You'd think it would be the other way around.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Total biased BS!

Over the years I have found USPS to be the easiest and most liberal when it comes to claims, even when I would have thought it was insufficient packing, but then anytime something has Been "Proffesionaly packed" by the FedEx Office or UPS store it hasn't made it in one piece !
Then again I have seen Gear racked in Starcase shock racks that are packed with 2in. Of custom blown foam in a heavy duty Virgn card board box damaged by Fedex!

Also here's the thing with a USPS if you use say PayPal shipping the insurance is through a third party, but the Claim is filed by your Postmaster who has no skin in the game!

Yeah USPS sucks so bad, Funny thing his that Fedex has a major partner ship with USPS, funny how all 3 majors use each other's services along the way!

Oh best way to make claims easy? Work for a company that ships millions with one of them!
Personal claims go smoother when you can show how much biz is at your dis recreation , at least if you have a smart rep!
I will agree only virgin boxes, but use one rated at no less than 3 times the actual weight!
I'm not sure why you're so angry, but in many ways you don't really understand what you're talking about. Yes, we have partnerships with the USPS. Guess what? We move all of their Priority Mail on our planes during the day, and our own packages at night. So your supposedly great results with them are actually with us.

There are also packages the USPS delivers for us through a product called SmartPost, which is the most dirt cheap residential shipping option you can select and the one I'm sure you're referring to. We move the shipment through our ground network, and they perform the "last mile" delivery because they're going to every house every day anyhow. They do not, however, touch any of our ground or air shipments, and SmartPost is only an option for large commercial shippers, so your point is pretty much irrelevant to anyone here. Also, no commercial shipper is ever going to use SmartPost for high value shipments because it has a max insurance value of $100.

The reason I don't recommend the USPS is because of their- in my significant experience- extreme lack of customer service. It is very unlikely you'll ever get anyone there that wants to help you. This is not my own experience, it is the experience of virtually all of my 150 customers, many of them being those people you speak of who spend "millions." Quite honestly, we don't even really consider the USPS a serious competitor. Their service is that bad, though improving.

Anyhow, do what you're comfortable with guys. I'm just trying to give you all an educated perspective. Whether you choose to accept it is obviously your decision.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
If you are referring to an internationally shipped package, then no not at all. Declared value is for customs, insurance is purchased from the original shipping company to cover damage or loss.
No no no. Declared value and "insurance" are the same thing. No company actually offers actual insurance, because insurance would imply that the shipment will be covered no matter what. Obviously, you are only covered when it's been recognized that you packaged a shipment securely.

Customs does require you to state a value, but it is not the same thing as declared value. Whatever the receipt says in the "declared value" field is what it was insured for.
Old 23rd April 2016
Lives for gear

Educated perspective... Corporate shill no thanks.
Thread on Fedex claims - Fedex guy comes on and shifts the conversation to how bad UPS are with: "By the way, if you use the USPS for expensive items, you are asking for trouble. There will be nobody to help you."

By the way? Are you joking - rhetorical BS 101. Sorry - not born yesterday - stay on point. Spotlight on Fedex and damage claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasnub View Post
<snip> The damage ratio on packages company wide is under 0.1%.
...and...
If we paid every claim without question, we'd be broke tomorrow. </snip>
No one here is suggesting that all claims are paid without question - just LEGITIMATE ones.

From the Fedex annual report:

"We’re on target to achieve the goal of the FedEx Express profit improvement plan we outlined in FY13 — to exit 2016 with a run rate of $1.6 billion in additional operating profit from the then FY13 base results."

That says ADDITIONAL - didn't look up 2013... The real issue is that we live in an era where corporations are so big and have achieved so much economic and political power that normal honest working people get hosed by a 'we don't need your business' type of attitude. Yet they cry and rationalize when people share stories of how angry they are about being denied legitimate claims. Poor giant corporation! Everyone feels so sorry for you! Our grandfathers would insist on be treated fairly and they would often receive it, yet the poor struggling corporations somehow managed to survive and grow so big that they could start saying "No". AMAZING!

Here is what anyone ought to expect - We go to a company that we patronize with the business that creates their very existence. We require additional service for one reason or another. If our complaint or concern is in any way reasonable we are treated like a valuable customer, with respect and dignity, and most of all - with the recognition that the amount of money in question might represent as much as 5% of our total annual income while the same amount represents 0.000003% of the company's. It is the moral equivalent of the CEO cheating the janitor.

The claim is denied so this guy and all his buddies can buy their granddaughters several horses and stable, and pay their country club dues. It has nothing to do with fair or legitimate, and in this respect Fedex are just a posterchild for the insane crisis we find ourselves in largely because of the specious meme we've been sold: capitalism can do no wrong.

I know we can go on expecting that til hell freezes over.

BTW: actual math above based on a $5000 claim by a person making $100k/year (after taxes which he pays in a larger percentage than corporations) and compared with the figures from the Fedex annual report.

user DASNUB blocked
Old 24th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
Educated perspective... Corporate shill no thanks.
Thread on Fedex claims - Fedex guy comes on and shifts the conversation to how bad UPS are with: "By the way, if you use the USPS for expensive items, you are asking for trouble. There will be nobody to help you."

By the way? Are you joking - rhetorical BS 101. Sorry - not born yesterday - stay on point. Spotlight on Fedex and damage claims.

No one here is suggesting that all claims are paid without question - just LEGITIMATE ones.

From the Fedex annual report:

"We’re on target to achieve the goal of the FedEx Express profit improvement plan we outlined in FY13 — to exit 2016 with a run rate of $1.6 billion in additional operating profit from the then FY13 base results."

That says ADDITIONAL - didn't look up 2013... The real issue is that we live in an era where corporations are so big and have achieved so much economic and political power that normal honest working people get hosed by a 'we don't need your business' type of attitude. Yet they cry and rationalize when people share stories of how angry they are about being denied legitimate claims. Poor giant corporation! Everyone feels so sorry for you! Our grandfathers would insist on be treated fairly and they would often receive it, yet the poor struggling corporations somehow managed to survive and grow so big that they could start saying "No". AMAZING!

Here is what anyone ought to expect - We go to a company that we patronize with the business that creates their very existence. We require additional service for one reason or another. If our complaint or concern is in any way reasonable we are treated like a valuable customer, with respect and dignity, and most of all - with the recognition that the amount of money in question might represent as much as 5% of our total annual income while the same amount represents 0.000003% of the company's. It is the moral equivalent of the CEO cheating the janitor.

The claim is denied so this guy and all his buddies can buy their granddaughters several horses and stable, and pay their country club dues. It has nothing to do with fair or legitimate, and in this respect Fedex are just a posterchild for the insane crisis we find ourselves in largely because of the specious meme we've been sold: capitalism can do no wrong.

I know we can go on expecting that til hell freezes over.

BTW: actual math above based on a $5000 claim by a person making $100k/year (after taxes which he pays in a larger percentage than corporations) and compared with the figures from the Fedex annual report.

user DASNUB blocked
Sigh. I'll bite.

I am a more than five year member of this forum. I do not come here looking to plug my own company, but when I see gross inaccuracies in people's perceptions, I think it's fair to correct them. In all truthfulness my original post was in response to the originator of the topic and helping him out, but then I realized the post was from 2008.

I'll tell you all day long that UPS is a reliable company whose product generally performs to a high standard. The same can't be said for the USPS. Your experience may be different, but your experience is based on a sample size too small to actually know what you're talking about. Quite frankly, FedEx makes little to no money off of people shipping a package or two a year. My "convincing" anyone at Gearslutz to use us or not will make zero impact to the bottom line. So please, spare me the "shill" angle. It's just not true.

By the way, the $1.6 billion profit improvement initiative was over a several year period, and was achieved through a combination of voluntary buyouts, retirement of old inefficient aircraft, etc. It was not some one year cash influx from ripping people off on claims. Transportation is one of the lowest margin businesses in the world, with an enormous amount of overhead costs in employees (340,000), facilities, aircraft, trucks, etc. There are a lot more insanely profitable companies to direct your anger at.
Old 13th June 2017
Here for the gear

FedEx and UPS have over 600 reasons to deny your claim to include the incorrect tape was used despite a forklift was driven through the side of the box! The only sure way to avoid a monster headache and dealing with a denied claim would be to have a UPS store or a FedEx store actually pack it up and insure it. When you get the letter denying the claim due to poor packing you send them your receipt...end of story. Been shipping items over 13-years and had many claims denied, even when it looked like the box was dragged 800 miles behind the truck and actually never made it into the truck! The loop hole from their 27 pages of denials...pay for the packing or see you here complaining about how much they suck...the whole world knows that!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search