The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stupidest things you have ever heard during a session Dynamic Microphones
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

I emailed a file to a friend yesterday during the day, to his 'personal email account' and he responds with "Thanks, but I can't open this at work"...

I'm like "Then wait until you get home..."
Old 2nd August 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
That's actually a well known tactic I believe. Being broke with no upfront intentions to pay, find a way to be wronged and disenfranchised then demand the money back.
Yeah, but it takes an iron constitution to enjoy a nice dinner at a white-linen restaurant with a dead cockroach in your pocket.
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benprogfuse View Post
I emailed a file to a friend yesterday during the day, to his 'personal email account' and he responds with "Thanks, but I can't open this at work"...

I'm like "Then wait until you get home..."
Are you sure you haven't just "made friends" with an algorithm?
(It happens these days.)
Old 2nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yeah, but it takes an iron constitution to enjoy a nice dinner at a white-linen restaurant with a dead cockroach in your pocket.
Don't ya just hate when that happens?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Session keyboard player on my suitcase Rhodes.

He was a bit busy with his left hand.

Me - "That's great, could we calm it down a little? Maybe just hit the roots?"
Player - "Can't you just edit the notes in MIDI?"
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Banks View Post
Was there ever one who wasn't?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

We might know the same keyboard player.

Me: "This is gonna sound weird because I know the guitar and bass are tuned to 440, but next to them your synth sounds a little under."

Him: "So turn it up."
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Banks View Post
Session keyboard player on my suitcase Rhodes.

Me - "That's great, could we calm it down a little? Maybe just hit the roots?"
Player - "Can't you just edit the notes in MIDI?"
You could always point out that is that his attitude you could just program the roots and skip him playing all together
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Just yesterday:

"All analog gear is obsolete".
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Just yesterday:

I'm assuming you asked him to give his headphones back at that point. Or stop listening to the speakers.
Old 1 week ago
Guy At studio: “I set the mic at 8 O’clock.”

Super confused... took me a second. He changed the pattern to figure of eight.

I’ve never heard that one before. Is that a thing?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post

Super confused... took me a second. He changed the pattern to figure of eight.

I’ve never heard that one before. Is that a thing?
Totally. It's called cluelessness.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Just yesterday:

I heard one like that yesterday too,

"I don't use guitar pedals any more, they're useless, all of them. The effects in Logic and Fruity Loops are better than any guitar pedal."

and then

"It's great. You just play the chorus one time. Then you can just cut and paste it five times you don't even have to play the whole song."

the guy seemed kind of smart, and kind of insane, I couldn't get a whole reading. his bar got shut down by cops so he's rebuilding it into a recording studio.

maybe the coolest thing I saw was his 1957 Fender Mandocaster, a little tiny USA fender electric mandolin, still with the original ashtray bridge cover!

he also had a gorgeous handmade acoustic mandolin built by his brother, and a dobro/mandolin with slide action
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A singer in a recent session said "those bright lights are distracting me, would you please turn them down?" We couldn't figure out what she meant, and it turned out they were the lights in the rack of preamps way to one side of the room. So we covered the front of the rack with a blanket. She actually sang better after taking care of the lights, even though her eyes were closed most of the time. I don't record vocals often and after that session I started wishing I did, because she had a very beautiful voice (and an interesting personality).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I truly hope that's not a thing.

Reminds me of the VO guy who came in and said, "I've really gotta get one of these tube mics."

He was standing in front of a Sennheiser 416. The body of which is a long, narrow tube.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
A singer in a recent session said "those bright lights are distracting me, would you please turn them down?" We couldn't figure out what she meant, and it turned out they were the lights in the rack of preamps way to one side of the room. So we covered the front of the rack with a blanket. She actually sang better after taking care of the lights, even though her eyes were closed most of the time. I don't record vocals often and after that session I started wishing I did, because she had a very beautiful voice (and an interesting personality).
One of the first times I was in a recording studio, they were recording a client who insisted a blanket be hung over the Control Room window. The singer faced away from the window into a prayer rug and played a root and fifth on his guitar and chanted some kind of incantations. The engineers were instructed to roll tape, and when the tape ran out, start a new one, but not interrupt him. He would track 4-5 hours at a clip, running up quite the tape bill.

No idea what, if anything was 'done' with the recordings. They gave his sessions to the junior engineer and that way she got some experience and it's not like anything ever needed to be changed.

The studio was a residential studio in an old hotel. There were monitors in the corridors and public room that you could turn up to check what was happening in the studio. Every now and then my friend would flip one on and every single time, it sounded exactly the same. Same key, same tempo, same words.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

On the beginning of a recording session:

Drummer: I want the bass drum sounds like Bonham, the snare sounds like The Who, and the overall drum sound just like The Beatles.

Engineer: They weren't recorded here, the drum was not this kit, the engineer wasn't me, and the one behind the drums was surely not you.

Last edited by kuasalogam; 1 week ago at 11:29 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search