The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best song (and it's recording) ever made!
Old 15th January 2005
Gear Addict

The best song (and it's recording) ever made!

A combination of two categories. THAT PART IS VERY IMPORTANT. It HAS TO BE BOTH. There, now I'm done screaming.

What is your interpretation of the best recording of the best song ever?

It CAN'T be a great song but a crappy recording.

It CAN'T be a great recording but your best song.

It HAS to be BOTH.

One song per post only please. (might require some thought, perish the thought).

Ok?

I figure this will give me some great ideas for listening.

Here's mine.

The Ballad Of Jenny Ledge - Toy Matinee

What's yours?
Old 15th January 2005
Lives for gear

Inca Roads-Frank Zappa
Engineered by Kerry McNabb

It's really a toss up between this and 'Killer Queen' - Queen
Engineered by Roy Thomas Baker
Old 15th January 2005
I'd say "owner of a lonely heart" by Yes still sounding amazing after all this time
Old 15th January 2005
Moderator emeritus

Of course everyone knows that there is no real answer to this - only opinions, right? But..

I've always been partial to the Berlin Philharmonic's recording of Dvorak's "New World Symphony", Aretha's "Think" (The version she did for the Blues Brothers movie rather than the original) and Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker".
Old 15th January 2005
Gear Addict

pink floyd- comfortably numb
Old 15th January 2005
Gear Head

another for Numb

Quote:
Originally posted by rynugz007
pink floyd- comfortably numb
Agreed. I can't think of any other rock song that moves me so much with just the downbeat alone. D minor is NOT the saddest of all keys. B minor...it doesn't get any heavier.

The way that the orchestration is mixed within a rock context is still totally unmatched in my view,
both from an engineering standpoint, and from an arrangement/orchestration standpoint(I'm a conductor/arranger/composer BTW). Listen for the double reeds in particular(oboe and bassoon). Everything is very smooth, but the individual instruments still come through in a very raw and real way.

This on top of killer song writing, two fantastically complementary sections/voices, each one perfectly representing the distilled essence of the respective artist(Waters/Gilmour). The guitar solos(again two, both beautiful, totally different from eachother, and both serving the song completely.)

Lyrics, mood, buildup, etc

I could go on and on....but I must admit that I am(was in my earlier youth) a total Floyd Nut. My senior year in high school, I organized and staged a production of the Wall. In addition to the band(I played guitar), we had a pit orchestra, choir, actors for the trial scene, and we actually built the wall and had samples of all the sound effects running through quad house sound. (this was in 92)

Hope it doesnt' come off like bragging. It still is one of the most memorable musical experiences of my life.

Peace,
O
Old 16th January 2005
Lives for gear

I've always thought Pink Floyd's "the wall" to be the greatest album both in production, arrangement, recording, mix, guitar, bass, (the fretless on "hey you" i find it out of this world. vocals, lyrics, concept, movie.. etc.. etc.. If I were to pick a song from that record uuummm... tough tough... yeah, probably go with confortably numb to. but then theres the beatles "she's leaving home" or "eleanor rigby". tough question. everytime I listen to these records I feel hopeless and tiny compared to these giants. why do you do this to me Jalabodu
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search