The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Frank Zappa fans?
Old 13th January 2005
Frank Zappa fans?

I need seem recommendations from a Zappa fan. I've got a few of his albums - Waka Jawaka, Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo, Filmore 1971, Freak Out etc.....which are all pretty cool, but I also have Apostrophe and Joe's Garage which completely blow me away. In his massive collection, are there any more albums like the latter two as opposed to all the previously mentioned ones?
Old 13th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Erdbeben In Munchen

The Lost Episodes

I did a lot of marketing and product development for the Zappa catalog via Don Rose...every album is treasure and a gift!

the two listed above have had my ears lately...

http://www.rykodisc.com/Catalog/Cata...&Artist_ID=195
Old 13th January 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by Nerve Nickels
Erdbeben In Munchen

The Lost Episodes

I did a lot of marketing and product development for the Zappa catalog via Don Rose...every album is treasure and a gift!

the two listed above have had my ears lately...

http://www.rykodisc.com/Catalog/Cata...&Artist_ID=195
Hey, cool.... Do those ones have Zappa on vocals? I think something that really turns me on in regards to Apostrophe/Joe's Garage is Zappa's storytelling style vocals.
Old 13th January 2005
Lives for gear

How could you overlook

"Studio Tan"

Gotta love The Adventures Of Gregory Peckory, not to mention the amazing playing and editing.

Michael Greene
Old 13th January 2005
Lives for gear

Sheikyerbouti is epic.
Old 13th January 2005
Gear Maniac

lol

(sorry if I gloated) ... seeing 'frank zappa' on a thread excieted me...

yes, his humor sheds light...his wah tone is so expressive...lots of humor on The Lost Episodes...

hey... side-topic,

Does anybody know if Robert Easton of 360systems is the same Robert Easton that made the Electro Wagnerian Emancipator for Frank...

Just a few hours ago I meet a guy in brooklyn that makes a 'spin-off' of the EWE...not that I ever played the real deal..crazy sounds...
Old 13th January 2005
In the vein of Apostrophe (1974), you would like Over-Nite Sensation (1973), recorded around the same time with the same band, and One Size Fits All (1975).

Joe's Garage (1987) stands alone, but if you love that you will most likely like Them or Us (1984) and You are What You Is (1981)

The live stuff from these eras is awesome, most notably "Roxy and Elsewhere" (1974) and "Zappa in New York" (1978) and, to a lesser extent, "Tinseltown Rebellion" (1981).

Frank's last tour (1988) was incredible - they actually rehearsed for longer that they toured (they spent almost 3 months at A&M, now Henson Studios, rehearsing a 12 piece band with a 5-piece horn section, covering most of Franks catalog so that no matter what he felt like playing one night, the band could pull it off).

The '88 tour was captued Bob Stone on 64-track Mitsubishi digital, mixed by Frank and released on three exceptional recordings - 1988's "Broadway the Hard Way" (featuring a killer version of "Stolen Moments" as an intro to an equally killer version of The Police's "Murder by Numbers" with Sting as guest vocalist), 1991's "The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life (featuring full-band versions of some of Franks best compositions) and 1991's "Make a Jazz Noise Here", featuring the jazzier side of Frank's repertoire, making full use of the horn section.

The tone of Franks guitar that Bob captured is nothing short of astounding. These are by far my favorite live recordings of Frank's work, as recording technology finally caught up to Frank's vision and talent. The bass tone that Scott Thunes has is the fattest, roundest I've ever heard.

Another great recording of Frank's live prowess, and that of his various stellar bands, can be found on the 6-volume, 12-disk set "You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore". Volume 1 covers a good slice of history, with some early gems from TMOI.

Volume II is exclusively from 1984, recorded in Helsinki, and features the band and lots of tunes from the Apostrophe era.

I highly recommend all of the above, and many others - enjoy the journey, the rewards are great. An excellent, albeit breif, biography can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zappa

-gil

R.I.P
Frank Vincent Zappa
12/21/1940 - 12/4/1993
Old 13th January 2005
Lives for gear

I'm your guy. A self-proclaimed "Zappaphile".

Many moons ago I actually had intentions of auditioning for one of his presumed tours. I took on the arduous task of learning a vast amount of his catalog. Unfortunately, he died before I got the chance.

Ask me anything about Zappa and I can probably answer it.

Lemme see....hmm...apart form purchasing everything. I would say:

Freak Out
Absolutely Free
Lumpy Gravy (personal favorite)
Uncle Meat
We're Only In It For The Money
200 Motels
Roxy and Elsewhere
One Size Fits All (a very close second...Inca Roads)
Hot Rats
Zappa in New York
Zoot Allures
Studio Tan (The Adventures of Greggory Peccary sells the CD)
Orchestral Favourites (rock band performances of some great orchestral peices)
Man From Utopia
Baby Snakes
Perfect Stranger (Pierre Boulez Conducting and Synclavier performances)
Shut Up and Play Your Guitar Series
The LSO Album(the music is great, albeit, the performances suck)
You Are What You Is (this band kicked ass)
Us and Them(if only for Sinister Footwear)
Joe's Garage
Jazz From Hell
Mothers of Prevention
Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life
Yellow Shark (Brilliant)
YCDTOSA 1-6
Lather
Civilization Phase III
Lost Episodes
Mystery Disc
Beat the Boots Collection
Playground Phsychotics
Everything is Healing Nicely
The Persuasions perform...
Ensemble Modern performs...
etc.

The guy's catalog is so broad that you really have to determine what it is you like about him ie. guitar playing, orchestral compositions, sociological satire, lyrical, instrumental, etc. Much of his ouvre can be band dependent as well, ie. the '67 band, the '74 band, the '77 band, the '80 band the '88, band etc.

I'd have to go so far as to say-and this is difficult-that the '74 band is my absolute favorite. These guys rocked!!!

Hope this is helpful. I personally enjoy everything he's done; some more than others (one not at all-Francesco Zappa-Baroque harpsichord music performed on the synclavier).
Old 15th January 2005
Lives for gear

Gil,

By the way, was it you who applied the RDNZL on the H3000 that was given to Frank as a gift?
Old 16th January 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by picksail
Gil,

By the way, was it you who applied the RDNZL on the H3000 that was given to Frank as a gift?
On the occasion of Frank's 50th birthday, Dweezil asked several old bandmates to buy him gear for a planned studio expansion.

Steve Vai called me and asked if we could engrave an H3000 for this purpose, I was more than happy to oblige. Have you seen it?

PM me for an interesting coda to this story.

-gil
Old 17th January 2005
Lives for gear

Try and find a video called 'The dub room special'. Really great performances-
You must check out 'Just another band from LA'-
Also, Zoot Allures has 'Black Napkins' -which is worth the price of the CD alone.
And 'One size fits all' is an absolute must have IMO
Old 17th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by De chromium cob
Try and find a video called 'The dub room special'. Really great performances-
You must check out 'Just another band from LA'-
Also, Zoot Allures has 'Black Napkins' -which is worth the price of the CD alone.
And 'One size fits all' is an absolute must have IMO
I have that particular video and more if anyone is interested.
Old 25th January 2005
Jax
Lives for gear

While not a "pure" Zappa album (if such a thing can exist in the first place...), Bongo Fury (featuring Capt. Beefheart) is a rather exceptional effort.
Old 25th January 2005
Jax
Lives for gear

Oh yeah...

If you like the book/movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," there's a good chance you'll dig Zappa's "200 Motels."

This album is sort of a musician on the road's version of Fear and Loathing.... with a bit of Spinal Tap thrown in for good measure.
Old 26th January 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Oh yeah...

If you like the book/movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," there's a good chance you'll dig Zappa's "200 Motels."

This album is sort of a musician on the road's version of Fear and Loathing.... with a bit of Spinal Tap thrown in for good measure.
Nice observation!!!!

I agree that Bongo Fury is a must have, I just prefer hearing Beefheart within his own element.
Trout Mask Replica comes to mind i.e. Orange Claw Hammer, Metal Man Gets His Wings, etc. Of course, Zappa produced this album so his indelible 'stamp' is unmistakable.

BTW, 200 Motels created a milestone in video shooting and editing.
Old 27th January 2005
Gear Nut

Re: Frank Zappa fans?

Quote:
Originally posted by oedipus_complex
I need seem recommendations from a Zappa fan. I've got a few of his albums - Waka Jawaka, Hot Rats, Grand Wazoo, Filmore 1971, Freak Out etc.....which are all pretty cool, but I also have which completely blow me away. In his massive collection, are there any more albums like the latter two as opposed to all the previously mentioned ones?
I can relate! The fastest way for you to get "lured into a life of SLEAZERY," in my opinion, would be to listen to the following...

1) Over-Nite Sensation
2) You Are What You Is
3) Sheik Yerbout
4) One Size Fits All
5) We're Only In It For The Money

WAIT A MINUTE! STOP THE MUSIC!
PLEASE ... HOLD IT! WAIT A MINUTE!
WHAT ARE WE SINGING ABOUT? mystery roach?
WE MUST BE FLIPPING OUT ...

Rockin man! I feel a major Zappa kick coming on! 200 Motels ASAP!
Old 22nd April 2020
Here for the gear

bavarian Zappa hommage

Hey there, if you like Zappas music, check out my bavarian hommage IΒ΄ve made:
https://youtu.be/de9Rets9c8k

Cheers,
Markus Strasser
Old 22nd April 2020
The Central Scrutinizer!

Brings back some old memories.

Old 23rd April 2020
Lives for gear

"We're Only In It For The Money" is one of my favorites. I'm also partial to the Live At Fillmore East having been to one of those shows.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear