The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Has the mantle passed?
Old 4th September 2004
Gear Head

Has the mantle passed?

Last week I received a phone call from an older gentleman who asked to tour my studio. I invited him to come out later that day.
Turns out he was getting up in years and has recently moved back into the area to be close to his family. The truth be told, I think he was just missing his friends from California; I felt sad for him. All of his old friends in the area have died off and he doesn't have anyone left to play with any more- kind of a last man standing scenario.
We talked for a few hours, all the while playing songs from a few CDs he had compiled of his music. He's quite an accomplished jazz guitar player (or "gitter" player as he referred to it). He told me stories of his life in the aviation and aerospace industries, and the myriad of places he had been and musicians he had played with over the years. Even though he is 90 years old and a slight bit wobbly on his feet, his mind is still sharp as a tack.
I enjoyed spending time with him. He reminded me a bit of my dad who passed away just two years ago. There's something about their generation that is sadly lacking in ours, and more so in the younger generations coming up behind us. The world is a much different place now.
I got on this train of thought because I just found out another of 'their' generation had passed, a family friend in Arizona (the man who started the Rural Metro ambulance service).
Every time we lose another of ‘their generation’ the world is a lesser place because of it. I guess it's up us to take up his or her mantle of good attributes to carry for a time, and hope that there is someone there to pass it on to when our time is up.
Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

Nice story, Ren Man.
I'm also on that train from time to time.

Do you know the biblical story of Elijah and Elisha,
the one with the passing of the mantle?
-------------------
They had walked and worked together for a long time.
The younger (Elisha) admired the older, so much that he wanted what Elijah had in his life.
He said: "Let me inherit a double portion
of your spirit".
--------------------
Any learning in this?
Well, I think in order to pass on the mantle, you need someone who wants it - badly.

There are mantles out there, folks!!

ruudman
Old 4th September 2004
Was Mickey one of the best Mantles?

Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

Yupp, I heard he had relatives from Fremantle

ruudman
Old 4th September 2004
Lives for gear

Ren Man,

I believe there is some essential truth to your observation.
Could be a quite relevant point.

Style, concern, dignity, respect and wisdom appear on a fading path to me. Unfortunately not for merely nostalgic reasons.

Such attributes have been with men since dawn. An alixithymy humanity that appears to be rising could be getting deadly lost without.

Ruphus
Old 4th September 2004
Gear Maniac

Somewhat related: a client of mine admires the work of Johnny "Guitar" Smith, and asked me to make him copies of his records on CDs, which is how I heard of him. He composed "Walk Don't Run" which was important to me in my teen years in the hit version by the Ventures...

It turned out that my partner and her son used to hang with Johnny at his guitar shop in Colorado Springs and they told some secondhand stories of him. Don't know what happened to him.

Our elders have much to share. I'l never forget seeing Dr. John play at Yoshi's with four of the oldest horn players I have ever seen dodder onto a stage - man could they play!

Many older performers show up in the bay area and it is so great to see them still able to do their stuff. Most of them do not have replacements that I have seen - like there will never be another Ray Charles.

Thanks for the thoughtful thread.

<L>
Old 4th September 2004
Moderator emeritus

Lst I head (a month or so ago) JOhnny Smith is retired and still living in Colorado Springs. I've got a Gibson Johnny Smith guitar here, and every time I pick it I think about him and what a great guitarist he was....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search