The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Dude, forget this music stuff.....let's talk about your car!
Old 22nd August 2004
Lives for gear

Dude, forget this music stuff.....let's talk about your car!

Yo Dave,

Welcome. I've been covered up under some ugly deadlines, so I've been scarce, but it's good to see you up in here.

Music, music, gear, gear.........blah, blah, blah.

Let's talk about some fast Detroit iron, instead. Like yours. Fill the peeps in on your Chevy specs. It is gear, after all.

For the record, though, I did just throw a 500 HP 383 stroker in the old Z here. Think you can still take me in that beast of yours?
Old 22nd August 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Dude, forget this music stuff.....let's talk about your car!

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT

Let's talk about some fast Detroit iron, instead. Like yours. Fill the peeps in on your Chevy specs. It is gear, after all.

George Massenburg drives Volvo

and bought two custom made OH mics for the price of two cars instead
Old 22nd August 2004
Lives for gear

My car's worth less than 3/4 of the gear in my studio.
Old 23rd August 2004
Gear Maniac

I drive a POS Ford F-150.

"Don't hate me because I am Beautiful!"

:-P
Old 23rd August 2004
Gear Nut

My neighbors hate me!
Attached Thumbnails
Dude, forget this music stuff.....let's talk about your car!-el-camino3.jpg  
Old 23rd August 2004
Lives for gear

Lotus Esprit GT3 here! Haven't got a picture of mine on the computer, but this is identical (with the exception of colour, mines a deep metalic red). Great car, planning to change it for a Aston DB9 early next year!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp gt3 for gearslutz.bmp (1.37 MB, 253 views)
Old 23rd August 2004
Lives for gear

Lotus Esprit GT3 here! Haven't got a picture of mine on the computer, but this is identical (with the exception of colour, mines a deep metalic red). Great car, planning to change it for a Aston DB9 early next year!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp gt3 for gearslutz.bmp (150.0 KB, 142 views)
Old 23rd August 2004
Lives for gear

I tend to use one of these... (although unfortunately they're being withdrawn from service thoughout London at the moment... what kind of nonsense is that anyway..?? They're only 50 years old..!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Dude, forget this music stuff.....let's talk about your car!-rm.jpg  
Old 23rd August 2004
Lives for gear

If I had enough money for another car, i'd spend it on microphones instead
Old 23rd August 2004
Gear Nut

My 1960 API
Attached Thumbnails
Dude, forget this music stuff.....let's talk about your car!-vette-012.jpg  
Old 23rd August 2004

Hey BrianT... I'll race you!

I beat a 2005 Corvette a couple months ago in my smg M3.... I got up to 165mph before I came to my senses.
Old 23rd August 2004
Lives for gear

ha Preben love the Gearslut double decker reg plate....
Old 23rd August 2004
Gear Maniac

I used to have a 1990 Chevy 454 SS pickup. Earlier this year I sold it to a guy who was big into making them even _more_ powerful! He had a '90 454 that him and his son worked on for years. The son received this monster of a truck on his 18th birthday.

Why anyone would give an 18 year old a truck _that_ fast and powerful is beyond me.

Anyhow, the guy wanted to "start over" so he bought mine.

In the meantime, I had toned it down a bit with a 2001 Land Rover Discovery LE. Still under factory warranty which turned out to be a good thing because the engine block was miscast and leaked oil. After taking it back to Land Rover six times, they finally up and replaced the engine. Aside from the inconvenience of having to take one's car in all the time, that's not such a bad deal.
Old 23rd August 2004
Lives for gear

heheheh... more luck than design - in fact I only noticed it when you pointed it out
Old 23rd August 2004
Lives for gear

bought one of these in December, Rotary Engine with a 9.5k redline and 6speed transmission, 50/50 weight distribution...loads of fun.
Old 23rd August 2004
Lives for gear

Mint 1987 Buick Regal Grand National - 9000 miles

I've got a mint condition 1987 Buick Regal Grand National (Black of course) I bought brand new in .... 1986.

http://www.gnregistry.org/
(just found this registry ... I'll register my car soon)

Production: Grand Nationals: 20,193
Engines: Grand National: 3.8L V6 Turbo 245 bhp @ 4400 rpm, 355 ft-lb @ 2000 rpm.
Performance: Grand National: 1/4 mile in 14.23 seconds @ 98 mph.

They all rattle like a bucket of bolts but it didn't matter at the time.
Old 24th August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyBelmont
Hey BrianT... I'll race you!

I beat a 2005 Corvette a couple months ago in my smg M3.... I got up to 165mph before I came to my senses.

Nice ride.

I'm game to run you, should we be in the same place per chance. But I will warn you that I put about 6 car lengths on a new C5 'vette between 80 and 120MPH. It was pretty ugly. I don't think even a Z06 would be a problem.

I'm turnin' low 12's in the 1/4 at this point, but once the new coated headers are on and I get the computer dialed in on the dyno, I expect 11's naturally aspirated and 10's on the juice. But I will grant you that if we were not racing in a straight line, I would surely be watching your tailights.

Hey, what can I say. I'm a true gearhead, be it electrons or pistons.
Old 24th August 2004
Gear Guru

And I thought I was cool when I bought a used Miata back in May.

I have a rule, if its not raining or winter, the top is down!
Old 24th August 2004
Here for the gear

Good to see other engineers into cars as well While I don't think my poor little T-Bird could stand up to it, I'd like to see this 500hp Nissan (Datsun?) when I get to Nashville in a few weeks.
Old 24th August 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianT
Nice ride.

I'm game to run you, should we be in the same place per chance. But I will warn you that I put about 6 car lengths on a new C5 'vette between 80 and 120MPH. It was pretty ugly. I don't think even a Z06 would be a problem.

I'm turnin' low 12's in the 1/4 at this point, but once the new coated headers are on and I get the computer dialed in on the dyno, I expect 11's naturally aspirated and 10's on the juice. But I will grant you that if we were not racing in a straight line, I would surely be watching your tailights.

Hey, what can I say. I'm a true gearhead, be it electrons or pistons.
Wow.... 11's on the 1/4! I think my BMW is somewhere in the high 12's right now...
Old 24th August 2004
Lives for gear

Well, I prefer left AND right turns for my high-speed driving.

I turned a sub 20 second lap up at Lime Rock during a Skip Barber course on their autocross route. I was right there with the instructors.

This in a Dodge Viper, a pig of a car, with a V10.

The following year I broke my leg doing the same thing. But not in the car, but by falling at the track.

My own BMW is a lot more fun to drive fast, if not quite as fast as a Viper. The BMW gives you fair warning when it's about to break loose, the Viper, NOOOOO....

Ed
Old 25th August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by theunity
i'd like to see this 500hp nissan (datsun?) when i get to nashville in a few weeks.

Nay, nay. No foreign iron for this Texas boy. I hail from the land of Carroll Shelby and hence, I must drive Detroit V8 muscle cars, by official decree.

The "Z" is a red, convertible 6 speed Camaro Z28. About as sophisticated as a brick. I like to wrestle my cars to keep 'em pointed straight. Too much power and not enough finesse is my motto.
Old 25th August 2004
Here for the gear

Even better heh I just assumed you meant the ever popular SBC into a 280Z swap. You might be interested to know that I just made a deal to sell my Shelby Charger. I'll miss that car...
Old 25th August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland

Those are cool but how in the hell do you see out of it?

They're like driving armored trucks...
Old 25th August 2004
Lives for gear

<-----------------
Old 25th August 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

'69 442

4,000 pounds of detroit steel, and a body by Fischer. What more could you ask for?

With a well-functioning engine, this thing used to run mid-17's all day bracket racing. People think it runs 13's (but if it did, i'd need a roll bar given it is a covertible). People's perceptions of quarter mile times always seem to differ from reality (or they call me a sandbagger). I like the car, but i can't compete with the 11.88 second 5.0s that wouldn't pass an NHRA safety inspection long enough to know they ran high 11s.

Still, it can pass anything on the country backroads once it finally starts pulling 1st gear. At least, it did back before the plates got suspended for failing an OBD test 3 years ago. They couldn't find the port :(
Old 25th August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by djui5
Those are cool but how in the hell do you see out of it?

They're like driving armored trucks...
Being that I am a spritely, young 40 yo no problems for me, guess some of your ol' timers might have a little more problems though!

heh

Regards

Roland
Old 25th August 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Roland
Being that I am a spritely, young 40 yo no problems for me, guess some of your ol' timers might have a little more problems though!

heh

Regards

Roland

Haha...I'm 26.

Actually I've never driven a Lotus.......close once....but didn't drive it. I've just heard that they're really hard to see out of...

I gotta stop making "assumptions" from people's comments in magazines.....
Old 25th August 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by djui5
Actually I've never driven a Lotus.......close once....but didn't drive it. I've just heard that they're really hard to see out of...
If you are really concerned about visibility, check out the old Ladas and K-cars. Your friends will see (and hear and smell) you from miles away. Then again, I haven't seen a Lada in probably 12 years.

Wait, we are talking about sports cars. Did I ever tell you about my '80 Chevy Monza 2+2 with an aftermarket 350 in it? They are probably still picking up pieces of the rear end off the roadside 5 years later. It could keep up with period porsches, and cost alot less too Wasn't any good for picking up the ladies, but cars are made to be driven.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search