The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oh CMON, I COULDA DONE THAT! Saturation Plugins
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh CMON, I COULDA DONE THAT!

hey

just read that 9th wonder thread and i was gonna post this there but it was locked. I had something to say i really thaught was relevant and might shed light on the subject of 'music with quality/integrity.'

When i look at the songs/artists that i INSTINCTIVELY HATE ON, i notice theres one common thread between them.. They all are doing something that either :

A) I think i couldve done, but better
B) I couldve done but CHOOSE not to do because I think its in bad taste
C) I HAVE done, and found no success with it

So basically, you hate because your thinking if YOUR not successful, then the people that ARE successful better be doing something you CANT. But often times, the successful songs are the ones that we all know how they were done, and because of that it leaves us unimpressed.

So once i realized WHY i am hating on something, i started to think OBVIOUSLY a LOT of people dont care about whatever issue i have with the song, or the song/artist wouldnt be so popular. Which means that i am not looking at what people DO like about the song because my prejudices wont let me see it.

So instead of saying 'this is BAD,' i say 'this is OBVIOUSLY good to ALOT of people, let me try to see what people like about it, and at the same time accept that the issues i have with the song/artist, are NOT real issues, because the song is popular DESPITE whatever i hate about it.'

In the case of 9th wonder, i think the SMART person trying to get ahead says 'okay, i notice his mixes sound like something I did BEFORE i mix it, his loops sound like he paid NO attention to the groove, which i work really hard to perfect, so WHAT do people like about it!!?? Oh... well maybe his work is based around finding a great sample, with a great, GRIITY vibe, and maybe he PRESERVES that underground vibe by NOT paying attention to the things that people like me do. '

I mean, do you think he never considered getting his mixes done by someone more proffesional, or never bothered to ask about quantizing and grooves???

i AM NOT TRYING TO START ANOTHER DEBATE ABOUT 9th WONDER, but rather discuss ways of turning instances of inevitable HATRED TOWARD SONGS/ARTISTS THAT WE ALL GO THRU into learning experiences. I truly think the successful guys go beyond "oh this sux' and at least TRY to see WHAT makes it great.
Old 9th September 2007
I try to take the same approach for instance I really can't see why TI is so popular, I'll listen to his album and try and like it co's I think I should or at least understand why he's so big...but in that case I fail to see it. I ain't hating on dude though...never know might sell him a beat one day!
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
I try to take the same approach for instance I really can't see why TI is so popular, I'll listen to his album and try and like it co's I think I should or at least understand why he's so big...but in that case I fail to see it. I ain't hating on dude though...never know might sell him a beat one day!
well look at this way: if you ever DO figure out what makes TI so big, it'll just be ANOTHER weapon you can break out in ur production arsenal. And lemme guess... you hate the fact that most of his trax use cheap sounding stock synth brass/drums?? haha
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
but rather discuss ways of turning instances of inevitable HATRED TOWARD SONGS/ARTISTS THAT WE ALL GO THRU into learning experiences. I truly think the successful guys go beyond "oh this sux' and at least TRY to see WHAT makes it great.
heh that coming out your mouth is, well, surprising
Old 9th September 2007
Dor
Lives for gear

The corporate push from the majors shoving it down our throats is what makes the music great. Everyone knows that.

D
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I Completely agree.

In fact I would go so far as to say if you can't find the aspect in a form of popular music that makes it popular/appealing, perhaps you shouldn't even try to do popular music. By popular music I mean anything that sells in the millions Hard shipped copies.

I Would certainly say today's music often gets by on only Two of the many elements that can be put into a great composition of any type.

1) Use of a Proven and popular song form

2) Tension and release

And above all you have to have a melody that can be simple or complex BUT it better stick in your head.

This explains the Modern Hits like" Drop it's Like it's Hot"

And for all you guys that know your history one of the earlist periods of Hip Hop was basically catchy well tuned Drums beats with a scratched in Phrase. T LA Rock comes to mind and Mantronnix.

I think it can take real brilliance to create something very popular Basic and catchy ass hell at the same time. I just think a lot of less talented people maybe Using this
Formulae instead of applying it and learning and asorbing the whole rest of the body of music.

I think we(all music people) owe it to ourselves to make sure the new among us are aware that getting a computer a couple of programs is a good start. It is just a start that's all. The idea that this is all you'll ever need a laptop some powered computer speakers and Dre's or whoevers drums and Reason, is spreading really fast.

There is footage of Dre working in L.A. studios once they were making records of note. He had years of experience in real rooms of that time before those films were ever taken. He is running what appears to be a Trident board and the tape machine as any well seasoned hip hop producer of that era would. His future talent is obvious to me. This idea that he somehow couldn't possibly have mixed these records. Or his stuff sounds better now so he doesn't do it anymore. I'll tell you this, most of the guys in that position have a dozen or more guys under them because in the same time a rock band might get 1 Album done, A Rap label like that might put out 2 to 5 Albums plus work on several other peoples projects. One man cannot do that. If left alone in a room by themselves most of the top guys could get it done well all by themselves from idea to mix.

I am not trying to brag on anything because I still think my best days are ahead of me. I have done that life of paying dues that is just necessary to aquire a toolbox
of personal information about production and mixing.

I cut my teeth from about 89'. I made a ass of myself at my first session due to lack of knowlege. I however soaked up everything that happened that day that could remove false ideas of what went on in the area I was pursuing.

I sooned learned the established engineers had there own way of using jargon that we didn't as producers in L.A. at that time. (Studio Slang)

A lot of us were getting into NEVE and SSL rooms consistently for the first time.
Much of the foundation Rap stuff (80's)was done on Soundcrafts Trident and Amek.
SO we started referring to all our recording and production sessions as 'Cuttin'. If you had budgets to work with at that time you were always using 24Trk 2". Atleast here in L.A. So that was cutting to a Two Inch tape.

That Whole Period was explosive for production. The use of Filetered Loops- Adding sections from the same song to accent the drum track. Floating Horn and guitar stabs of notes over a drumtrack (PETEROCK). Chopping was born as a norm in production. This is because even if you used the straight loop, the need for a tempo change required tedious manual chopping by ear so that you could do what you do now automatically.

I am not saying all this to be on some golden age of Hip Hop production S**t. It is just from the time that I got started I knew I needed to learn more about music then listening to records, and that if I ever wanted to get anything like the sounds on those records I was going to have to practice making records using the tools of making records.

If you think that learning a little guitar or bass and music theory behind the music you like is a waste of time becuase you make beats, then you have been sold a lie.

ALL the great producers (Any Genre) know tons about music. All kinds of music.
I have met Dre a couple of times, but by know means can I say I know him. I Do know something about him though. He loves Classical music. If you know a little thoery you'll hear alot of use of the classic areas of theory. Even things pre- modal theory.

If you truly Love Dre and his camps work. Go listen to everthing Goerge clinton ever did with P funk and Parliment and bootsy. Baroque period classical and that Dude Rachmaninoff( hope I spelled correct). Also listen to Early Marley Marl and all the Hip Hop from that time till the MPC took over for the SP1200 S950.

I just realized this probablysound like a rant and I should stop now.
Also I realize that if you aren't into Hip Hop this might all sound like gibberish.

Jazztone
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

filter, this is the exact way i try to think about **** that i personally don't like.

great thread

thumbsup
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
So instead of saying 'this is BAD,' i say 'this is OBVIOUSLY good to ALOT of people, let me try to see what people like about it, and at the same time accept that the issues i have with the song/artist, are NOT real issues, because the song is popular DESPITE whatever i hate about it.'
I think this is the 'secret' right there.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

i hear what your saying. im always like, this **** sucks...why do people like it? then i think, maybee its me, maybee im the one who sucks......im still not sure.......
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

When i say something sucks, i think it really sucks, no excuses, I and i stress the I dont like it, not hating just not MY preference, whats wrong with that? Everyone doesnt like the same thing and thats what make music so sweet.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
When i say something sucks, i think it really sucks, no excuses, I and i stress the I dont like it, not hating just not MY preference, whats wrong with that? Everyone doesnt like the same thing and thats what make music so sweet.
I think whats wrong with that is that you never get to see what people DO like about it. I'm not saying dont have an opinion, i'm saying hate it, but accept that others love it, and for the sake of your carreer, try to figure out why. It can ONLY help you to know. And i'l GARUNTEE you this: take something you hate, and really put REAL effort into making something just like it, but make it your own. GARUNTEE you'll have a new-found appreciation for it. I HATED southern trax till i made my first one.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
heh that coming out your mouth is, well, surprising
Well its okay to vent about how much it sux BEFORE you figure out why people like itheh
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
And i'l GARUNTEE you this: take something you hate, and really put REAL effort into making something just like it, but make it your own. GARUNTEE you'll have a new-found appreciation for it.
Try doing it to something you LIKE - it's even harder. All of a sudden you're a copycat, that will never sound as good as your model.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfguard View Post
i hear what your saying. im always like, this **** sucks...why do people like it? then i think, maybee its me, maybee im the one who sucks......im still not sure.......
It's because they don't know any better.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
It's because they don't know any better.
do you realize how many movies you like cause 'you dont know any better'

(unless of course you only love academy award winning films)
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

First off I have to agree with filterayok on this topic, if I dont like a song, I'm going to try to see what people like about it, "Crank That" is in my opinion a very gay song, I'd say about 85% of my friends like it, I still hate it, but I see why they like it, I wont try to make something like it, but I will take the approach that when I do make a beat, just because I think it sucks doesnt mean 85% of the people who'll hear will think on the same level...I've made beats I dont like that people used quicker than the ones I do like...I scratch my head but, who am I to tell an artist or just an avid hip hop listener whats good and whats not?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Talking This is your music on drugs... any questions?

Just because something is popular doesn't make it good. Meth is popular but it's not good for you. That being said, I do agree that it's good to examine why something does or doesn't suck. Some things rock now, and suck later... just like a hangover. I'd like to go with the stuff that rocks now and forever whenever possible. (That is if I liked rock music; I'm more of an electro kind of guy).
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Honestly, I think trying to figure out why others like a song that you don't....for the purpose of making yourself better....is pretty f*cking pathetic, unless all you are is an opportunist that just wants to get paid and have no love for the art.

Let me tell you why.

If I truly had a love for the INDIVIDUAL art of music, why would I be worrying so much about something that doesn't appeal to me....instead of putting that additional energy into my OWN sound...diving even deeper into my soul and pulling out some new greatness. The point is.....you can't please every single music-listening individual out there. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE. Of course, we all know the power in national attention combined with repetition....so let's not ignore the role these play in the success of a particular artist, song, or "sound."

But I refuse to spend any measureable amount of time wondering why people like "Chicken Noodle Soup," "Bay-bay," and "Laffy Taffy" when I know the only difference between me and them...or any other cat out here is tremendous exposure. Drop one hook in the water....you MIGHT catch a fish in a couple hours....drop a NET in the water, you're guaranteed to catch several fish in a couple minutes....regardless of the bait used.

Catch my drift.

It's a fine line between hating and keepin it really real. Those that get off on cliches and famous phrases and can't put together coherent intelligent thoughts are quicker to pull the "you'a hater" trigger. It's a lot easier than facing the facts.

But I'm sure I'm not talking about anyone in here.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
I know the only difference between me and them...or any other cat out here is tremendous exposure.
STRICTLY out of curiousity, not to call u out or anything, but can u post something you've done that u feel has more hit potential then chicken noodle soup?

Its just that most people i know that write off these songs as 'crap shoved down your throat' never actually attempted to make one.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

ah yes...the classic "i could write those songs if i felt like it"...

if it makes those people feel better about themselves, thinking they could if they would, then so be it...its really kinda funny. i say just sit back and laugh at them...

for about 5 minutes and then get back to tryin to make that hit
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
STRICTLY out of curiousity, not to call u out or anything, but can u post something you've done that u feel has more hit potential then chicken noodle soup?

Its just that most people i know that write off these songs as 'crap shoved down your throat' never actually attempted to make one.
Dude, I would be MORE THAN happy to post something for you...but my schedule has been so crazy for the past 5 or 6 months...and life has been so unpredictable that my project has come to a screeching hault....or at least moving at a snail's pace.

But understand man, even if you didn't feel my sound (which I'm pretty confident that most hiphoppers would at the VERY LEAST appreciate, if not feel is super hot)....it still doesn't negate my point. You will never please everyone. This is a irrefutable fact. Because I don't feel "chicken noodle soup" is good music...let alone music at all, doesn't mean that someone somewhere won't feel it's the greatest song ever made. This is also a fact. It is also a fact that the more ears that hear WHATEVER song, the more chances there are that you will find that someone that feels the song is the very definition of complete and utter excellence.
It is also a fact that there are people in place that DECIDE on what sound is to be duplicated and what sound isn't. There is someone that gave Lupa Fiasco a chance on his very original song, "Kick, push"....a song I liked very much, I might add. But there is also someone who decided that that was going to be an original that would not be placed in the cookiecutter. The same goes for the west coast, synthy sound, the dirty east coast sound, and so on.

And besides, why would I want to "attempt to make something LIKE that?"

The problem is: Because a particular sound is flooding the airwaves, people feel they have to join the crowd in order for it to be considered "a hit."

What the f*ck is a hit away? Good music? Or good rotation?

You can only have longevity in this game when you can make other cats feel they have to sound like you in order to fit in...at least this is what the game has been left to.

Do your own thang playa! That's the only thing I can suggest to any artist. Make the world see things YOUR way.

How many cats that you seem to defend...can go away for 3 years and come back to a huge national fanbase that can't wait to purchase their new product?

That's what I keep in mind everytime I make a song.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post

It is also a fact that there are people in place that DECIDE on what sound is to be duplicated and what sound isn't.

Thats not true.

They can SERVE you whatever they like, but no one HAS to eat it.

Let me ask you this: Do you think that songs like chikennoodle has to be forced on people for them to like it?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thats not true.

They can SERVE you whatever they like, but no one HAS to eat it.

Let me ask you this: Do you think that songs like chikennoodle has to be forced on people for them to like it?
I think there is a knack... for those that make the final decision of what gets included in the rotation....to go with a proven formula...and the first thing on that equation is REPETITION. Period. There is no way around it man. Repetition is thee most influential factor in today's music business. Second, would probably be simplicity and "catchyness."

The even better question is: is it the will of the people to even introduce such music on a national level? I think not. I would guess that a certain formula was proven to be successful...and several artists followed suit, which put them in front of the line, along with having the money to pay for play. That's another big one.

Dude, don't make yourself look rediculous by suggesting that these songs made it big just by sheer greatness. If I were to put a percentage on the factors that are involved in the success of an album or song....I'd say, in this day and age, marketing is 95% responsible....that includes, videos, commercials, radioplay, and etc. 5% goes to the creative factors....the mix, the hook, who the artist is, the beat, the producer, etc. This would be more for the new cat on the block...than the seasoned vet.

But yes, if you hear a super simple song 4 times within 2hours over 2-3 different radio stations than it is guaranteed to be "a hit" eventually.

And to rebutt what you said......YES, you do have to EAT it...

Know why?

Because there is only so much room available on BET, MTV, VH1, and your local radio stations. Between all of these, if you only have to wait an hour to hear a song repeat...then it means your options are EXTREMELY limited as a music listener.
How long would you stay at a party that only had an hour's worth of music....with music that all sounds very similar?

So to answer your question, Yes, that is exactly what they are doing....forcing the issue. What is one of the first things that you and the rest of the driving world do when you enter in your car to commute? TURN ON THE RADIO. And the first thing you will hear from the time you leave to the time you get to where you are going is....chanting-style rap with claps, 808s, and a simple ass melody.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

OK just as an experiment, can u list your top five favorite movies?

edit--- better yet, let me ask you do you think that Lupe Fiasco 'kikpush' needed payola to gain popularity/ play?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
ah yes...the classic "i could write those songs if i felt like it"...

if it makes those people feel better about themselves, thinking they could if they would, then so be it...its really kinda funny. i say just sit back and laugh at them...

for about 5 minutes and then get back to tryin to make that hit
Hell yeh man. I'm feelin' that.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK just as an experiment, can u list your top five favorite movies?

edit--- better yet, let me ask you do you think that Lupe Fiasco 'kikpush' needed payola to gain popularity/ play?
Well, let's not go into comparing the film industry to the music industry....it is two completely different animals.

But to answer your question, if you are new to the game, then you need to be pushed into the POTENTIAL consumers' face as often as possible. It's the classic marketing strategy man. And since THIS industry has allowed itself to NOT be diverse in the products that it push....YES, you need some cash AND/OR a hell of a pre-established fanbase.

Numbers moves everything.
Old 11th September 2007
no ssl yet
Man there's alot I could say about this that I really shouldnt say in public because it could ruin me professionally in some circles, so I'll try to make a worthwhile statement without getting myself in troubleheh

I've seen alot of bull**** sell. No need to study it. Understanding record buyers is like figuring out what women like. LOL You'll see the finest chick in the world walking and holding hands with a short fat dude. You'll see another chick walking with a 6'7 Buffed dude. Of course if you're skinny you think they want the buffed dudes, but you get buffed and then they are with skinny dudes. The cool thing is other dudes think the same thing about you when you walk with your girl.heh

YOU'll NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY WANT.

WHY

CAUSE THEY DONT KNOW.

A. Make a good record. And push it like there is no tomorrow.
B. If it don't sell, Start from A again.

Filter are you going to AES? If so, we could exchange stories.

If not. TRUST me trying to figure out what's good about a bad record that sold is pointless. Sometimes **** sells.

Yesterday I was helping a friend load some songs to his Iphone from his mac. In his computer he must have 100Gigs of albums he bought from Itunes. We listened to hip hop in a capsule as if we were back in the day with a bunch of records stacked from floor to ceiling. We got to hear how hip hop progressed and where things moved to with each region's movement.

The truth is LL was 100% better than most stuff that's out now with Rock The Bells, I'm Bad, Dear Evette, The Do Whop, I got a 357 etc....

Rakim was 100% better with Paid in Full, As the Rhyme goes on, I got Soul, I aint no JOke, Microphone Fiend,

Public Enemy (You know the songs already).

Slick Rick (You know the songs

NWA, Ice Cube, Scarface, EARLY 2 Pac, Snoop etc.....

The funny part was when I listened to these records and put on Biggie and Jay Z etc.. next, they sounded as if they were all the same era almost. I listened to the Blueprint, and then I went back to Go Cut creator and The Do Whop

Of course the rhyme styles were different but in general composition there wasn't much difference.

Then I put on Outkast. (Same result, they fit right in.)

So I tried to figure WHAT is common between all of these albums from different times where different trends were hot but somehow we still play them

The artists were polished and good at delivering a professional package The songs were good, they were based on ideas/concepts and not just dudes rapping.

So I figured there was something to this that was more valuable than listening to what people like about poor records.

I may not have spoke to the topic, but I guarantee if you all do this from time to time as an experiment, you'll be more creative and you'll not really care why people like those other records.

(Notice I took the convo in a professionally SAFE direction LOL But hopefully it will achieve the same result)
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

First off, i think the film industry parallells the music industry, almost exactly. My point was going to be that if you dont write or produce movies, you might find that alot of things considered 'poor' by filmmakers actually appeal to you as a viewer. You know what u like, and if u dont like it, u turn it off. simple. I'm saying STEP AWAY for a second and forget the individual elements that make the song and see it for what it is. I know its basically IMPOSSIBLE at this point, but i TRY.

SSL, where is AES this year?? Evrything you said is valid, too, its just that often i'm on more of a 'pop hit single' tip, where things often operate on a slightly shallower level.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
First off, i think the film industry parallells the music industry, almost exactly. My point was going to be that if you dont write or produce movies, you might find that alot of things considered 'poor' by filmmakers actually appeal to you as a viewer. You know what u like, and if u dont like it, u turn it off. simple. I'm saying STEP AWAY for a second and forget the individual elements that make the song and see it for what it is. I know its basically IMPOSSIBLE at this point, but i TRY.

SSL, where is AES this year?? Evrything you said is valid, too, its just that often i'm on more of a 'pop hit single' tip, where things often operate on a slightly shallower level.
Very very interesting point...I must admit. But let's not forget, we are not only creators...we are also fans of the music, plus let's not forget we are talking about an aspect of entertainment that involve a project that takes up two years of one's life. Film-making has so many more nuances that it makes them completely different. What's also different is how they are marketed. And let's not even dare to compare the creative demands....like trying to come up with a hook for Laffy Taffy vs. developing a character like Forrest Gump, Scarface, or even Smoky from Friday.

Dude, after all the **** settles....the songs are talking about f*cking chicken noodle soup and shake that laffy taffy. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to analyze about this. NOTHING. Remember when someone could come up to you ask have you heard what Joe blow said about Joe Shmoe on the new cut.....or did you hear that new Pac song...."I think he is still alive." You see what happened in these cases? PEOPLE WERE ACTUALLY LISTENING TO LYRICS THAT WAS WORTHY OF LISTENING TO. Now? Everything is a whack ass chant with ******** lyrics. It's pathetic. Period. There is nothing you or anyone else in this world could tell me that would make me understand why Laffy Taffy is worthy of listening to....especially when I've lived in an era where albums like "All Eyes on Me," "The Chronic," "Lost,""Illmatic,""Aquemini,""The Diary,""Doggystyle," and "Ready to Die....were born.

F*ck Chicken Noodle Soup....you study that bull****.

I like music.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Man there's alot I could say about this that I really shouldnt say in public because it could ruin me professionally in some circles, so I'll try to make a worthwhile statement without getting myself in troubleheh

I've seen alot of bull**** sell. No need to study it. Understanding record buyers is like figuring out what women like. LOL You'll see the finest chick in the world walking and holding hands with a short fat dude. You'll see another chick walking with a 6'7 Buffed dude. Of course if you're skinny you think they want the buffed dudes, but you get buffed and then they are with skinny dudes. The cool thing is other dudes think the same thing about you when you walk with your girl.heh

YOU'll NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY WANT.

WHY

CAUSE THEY DONT KNOW.

A. Make a good record. And push it like there is no tomorrow.
B. If it don't sell, Start from A again.

Filter are you going to AES? If so, we could exchange stories.

If not. TRUST me trying to figure out what's good about a bad record that sold is pointless. Sometimes **** sells.

Yesterday I was helping a friend load some songs to his Iphone from his mac. In his computer he must have 100Gigs of albums he bought from Itunes. We listened to hip hop in a capsule as if we were back in the day with a bunch of records stacked from floor to ceiling. We got to hear how hip hop progressed and where things moved to with each region's movement.

The truth is LL was 100% better than most stuff that's out now with Rock The Bells, I'm Bad, Dear Evette, The Do Whop, I got a 357 etc....

Rakim was 100% better with Paid in Full, As the Rhyme goes on, I got Soul, I aint no JOke, Microphone Fiend,

Public Enemy (You know the songs already).

Slick Rick (You know the songs

NWA, Ice Cube, Scarface, EARLY 2 Pac, Snoop etc.....

The funny part was when I listened to these records and put on Biggie and Jay Z etc.. next, they sounded as if they were all the same era almost. I listened to the Blueprint, and then I went back to Go Cut creator and The Do Whop

Of course the rhyme styles were different but in general composition there wasn't much difference.

Then I put on Outkast. (Same result, they fit right in.)

So I tried to figure WHAT is common between all of these albums from different times where different trends were hot but somehow we still play them

The artists were polished and good at delivering a professional package The songs were good, they were based on ideas/concepts and not just dudes rapping.

So I figured there was something to this that was more valuable than listening to what people like about poor records.

I may not have spoke to the topic, but I guarantee if you all do this from time to time as an experiment, you'll be more creative and you'll not really care why people like those other records.

(Notice I took the convo in a professionally SAFE direction LOL But hopefully it will achieve the same result)
Amen....couldn't have said it better myself.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search