The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oh CMON, I COULDA DONE THAT! Saturation Plugins
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 3rd View Post
Very very interesting point...I must admit. But let's not forget, we are not only creators...we are also fans of the music, plus let's not forget we are talking about an aspect of entertainment that involve a project that takes up two years of one's life. Film-making has so many more nuances that it makes them completely different. What's also different is how they are marketed. And let's not even dare to compare the creative demands....like trying to come up with a hook for Laffy Taffy vs. developing a character like Forrest Gump, Scarface, or even Smoky from Friday.

Dude, after all the **** settles....the songs are talking about f*cking chicken noodle soup and shake that laffy taffy. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to analyze about this. NOTHING. Remember when someone could come up to you ask have you heard what Joe blow said about Joe Shmoe on the new cut.....or did you hear that new Pac song...."I think he is still alive." You see what happened in these cases? PEOPLE WERE ACTUALLY LISTENING TO LYRICS THAT WAS WORTHY OF LISTENING TO. Now? Everything is a whack ass chant with ******** lyrics. It's pathetic. Period. There is nothing you or anyone else in this world could tell me that would make me understand why Laffy Taffy is worthy of listening to....especially when I've lived in an era where albums like "All Eyes on Me," "The Chronic," "Lost,""Illmatic,""Aquemini,""The Diary,""Doggystyle," and "Ready to Die....were born.

F*ck Chicken Noodle Soup....you study that bull****.

I like music.
smokey from friday? I'm pretty sure he's the cinematic equivalent of 'laffy taffy'
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterayok View Post
smokey from friday? I'm pretty sure he's the cinematic equivalent of 'laffy taffy'
Yeah ok.....

Remember, Chris Tucker was nothing before it....now he's worth about 15mil per movie...plus, Friday was a cult CLASSIC. Classic lines will FOREVER be resited from that movie.

Let's see how far Laffy Taffy will propel those f*ckers (I don't even know who it's by, it's so bad).

No offense man...but you put way too much energy in defending something that give you nothing worth to defend. It would be different if we were discussing how you feel Pac wasn't the greatest of all time...we are talking about "SHAKE THAT LAFFY TAFFY"(repeat 40 times). Are you f*cking serious?

Honestly, it looks like you have become the bottom feeder...the one that only looks to capitalize off of a pre-made formula, instead of creating your own. It would have to be that....because you have completely ignored COMMON KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING to defend something that even YOU KNOW is not only whack, but almost insulting.

The point is: where do you draw the line...if not at this standard of music? When do YOU say, "this is beyond the level of simplicity, this is down right ********?" What does it take for you?

Or do you see the cookiecutting, national exposure, equate it to success, and immediately all of a sudden decide this is what YOU need to be doing?
Old 12th September 2007
no ssl yet
LOL You wanna discuss Laffy Taffy

LMAO How did you feel when dude grabbed his FOOT in the video LOL.

I think the whole thing was a joke and it proved that in this industry anything can happen/work.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Remember, Chris Tucker was nothing before it....now he's worth about 15mil per movie...plus, Friday was a cult CLASSIC. Classic lines will FOREVER be resited from that movie.

Let's see how far Laffy Taffy will propel those f*ckers (I don't even know who it's by, it's so bad).

No offense man...but you put way too much energy in defending something that give you nothing worth to defend. It would be different if we were discussing how you feel Pac wasn't the greatest of all time...we are talking about "SHAKE THAT LAFFY TAFFY"(repeat 40 times). Are you f*cking serious?

Honestly, it looks like you have become the bottom feeder...the one that only looks to capitalize off of a pre-made formula, instead of creating your own. It would have to be that....because you have completely ignored COMMON KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING to defend something that even YOU KNOW is not only whack, but almost insulting.

The point is: where do you draw the line...if not at this standard of music? When do YOU say, "this is beyond the level of simplicity, this is down right ********?" What does it take for you?

Or do you see the cookiecutting, national exposure, equate it to success, and immediately all of a sudden decide this is what YOU need to be doing?
The guys who made laffytaffy easily made in the million dollar range, and peple from all over quoted and talked about that song too... It did its job. I didnt like it, but it did its job. Is it 'classic'---no, not until vh1 does a nostalgic show on how rediculous things were at the top of the millenium. And i wouldnt be surprised if somewhere down the road we hear a 'laffytaffy' reference of some kind...

And for u to call me a 'bottom feeder' is not ony insulting, and uncalled for, but ironic in the fact that i AM feeding myself with music, and at the moment feeding myself pretty darn well. If you REALLY think that my point is to encourage others to 'copy' anything your missing my point entirely. I'm encouraging open-mind-ed-ness toward things you want to write off as 'crap' for purposes of learning.

you DID at one point have to study music formulas and production to figure out how to make it.

And yes, i'm talking in terms of making a living off of music. Yes, i'm talking about someone who thinks that it is more important to wake up everyday and get PAID to make music, even if its not music YOU consider 'credible' , then having to work a job you hate. I think anyone who dreams of doing this owes it to themselves to try to figure out WHAT kind of things appeal to the public. And the answer to that isnt simply 'catchyness.' Its a blend of originality/catchiness/concept/performance/vibe and a million other things. I dont think if I made a record called laffytaffy it would go over well. I think tho, that when you take a bunch of grimy southern dudes with edgy voices enthusiastically shouting out a phrase that is catchy/funny and original, over a beat that is simple yet current production-wise, that there is potential for something to be big. Thats what ive learned... not just 'chant something stupid'
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The guys who made laffytaffy easily made in the million dollar range, and peple from all over quoted and talked about that song too... It did its job. I didnt like it, but it did its job. Is it 'classic'---no, not until vh1 does a nostalgic show on how rediculous things were at the top of the millenium. And i wouldnt be surprised if somewhere down the road we hear a 'laffytaffy' reference of some kind...

And for u to call me a 'bottom feeder' is not ony insulting, and uncalled for, but ironic in the fact that i AM feeding myself with music, and at the moment feeding myself pretty darn well. If you REALLY think that my point is to encourage others to 'copy' anything your missing my point entirely. I'm encouraging open-mind-ed-ness toward things you want to write off as 'crap' for purposes of learning.

you DID at one point have to study music formulas and production to figure out how to make it.

And yes, i'm talking in terms of making a living off of music. Yes, i'm talking about someone who thinks that it is more important to wake up everyday and get PAID to make music, even if its not music YOU consider 'credible' , then having to work a job you hate. I think anyone who dreams of doing this owes it to themselves to try to figure out WHAT kind of things appeal to the public. And the answer to that isnt simply 'catchyness.' Its a blend of originality/catchiness/concept/performance/vibe and a million other things. I dont think if I made a record called laffytaffy it would go over well. I think tho, that when you take a bunch of grimy southern dudes with edgy voices enthusiastically shouting out a phrase that is catchy/funny and original, over a beat that is simple yet current production-wise, that there is potential for something to be big. Thats what ive learned... not just 'chant something stupid'
You know...the points that you made regarding their and your financial gain remind me when Master P was really pushing his crap. I would get into discussions with people all the time who would do the same thing you are doing...defending crap. And you know what the univeral response was from 90% of them? "Shiiiit, he making money tho?" And it just baffled me to no end because I always wondered, "well how does that benifit you as a consumer"....and "is that your only defense in his mockery of the art?" Because that is exactly what music like this is.....it's a mockery...it is a test on how little work can be put into a piece of audio and how much money can be made from it. Where is the need, want, passion, and desire to make a serious dent in musical history? Has it just been all about the hustle of it? If your only defense of it is about how much money you've made from it, I encourage you to step away from "music" altogether and push keys.

I invite you to listen to "You can't hold the torch" by Busta Rhymes on the Big Bang album...if you haven't heard it already. It says it all.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

I was listening to the radio with a friend of mine when some god-awful drivel came on and I said "Oh come on, I coulda done that!"

my friend said "no you couldn't"

"sure I could, I could do better" I replied

"that's the point" said my friend. "you would have done 'better'." By which he meant at that point I would no longer be doing "THAT" but some 'improved' version of THAT that was no longer the same, and that this particular audience would therefore reject.

Well, I said, I will dumb it down.

My friend shook his head and said it will never work, because as crappy as it is, those guys are sincere. They actually mean that crap, you never would.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I was listening to the radio with a friend of mine when some god-awful drivel came on and I said "Oh come on, I coulda done that!"

my friend said "no you couldn't"

"sure I could, I could do better" I replied

"that's the point" said my friend. "you would have done 'better'." By which he meant at that point I would no longer be doing "THAT" but some 'improved' version of THAT that was no longer the same, and that this particular audience would therefore reject.

Well, I said, I will dumb it down.

My friend shook his head and said it will never work, because as crappy as it is, those guys are sincere. They actually mean that crap, you never would.
yeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss..........

THATS what nobody gets. I read a line from a music industry textbook in college that said 'no-one has ever made money from a piece of music they weren't feeling.' I thaught that was bull**** at first and my attitude towards making music was 'well I PERSONALLY think this is crap but i'm sure some little girl will like it.' And when i look at those songs now, i realize why they sucked. They used all the right sounds, and catch phrases, but I WASNT FEELIN EM. At somepoint i started to GENUINELY like the poppy songs i was making, and THATS when i started to get positive responses.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know...the points that you made regarding their and your financial gain remind me when Master P was really pushing his crap. I would get into discussions with people all the time who would do the same thing you are doing...defending crap. And you know what the univeral response was from 90% of them? "Shiiiit, he making money tho?" And it just baffled me to no end because I always wondered, "well how does that benifit you as a consumer"....and "is that your only defense in his mockery of the art?" Because that is exactly what music like this is.....it's a mockery...it is a test on how little work can be put into a piece of audio and how much money can be made from it. Where is the need, want, passion, and desire to make a serious dent in musical history? Has it just been all about the hustle of it? If your only defense of it is about how much money you've made from it, I encourage you to step away from "music" altogether and push keys.

I invite you to listen to "You can't hold the torch" by Busta Rhymes on the Big Bang album...if you haven't heard it already. It says it all.

So your saying my mindset is like Master p's??? God i hope your right
Old 13th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
So your saying my mindset is like Master p's??? God i hope your right
If your mindset is like P's you'll be disagreeing with your earlier post about sincerely believing.

P sincerely believed it didn't matter. He would say that tracks were finished before the producers finished them. He believed it was more important to go and sell it.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

If i had the luxury of leaving the 'sincerity' part to another producer, then, yes, i'd be worried about selling it too. Anything of his that sold well, SOMEBODY was feelin when they made it.
Old 14th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
If i had the luxury of leaving the 'sincerity' part to another producer, then, yes, i'd be worried about selling it too. Anything of his that sold well, SOMEBODY was feelin when they made it.
You don't understand.

PRoducer : Man I should be done mixing it.

P: You been on that **** for a whole hour. It sounds good enough to me, put it on DAT.

Producer: But I'M NOT FINISHED.

p: I know you're not finished. It aint on DAT yet. now print it so we can go to the next song.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Now we are getting to what it's all about for you. Finally, the true colors are bleeding through. That's cool though....at least we know what we are dealing with. I just wish folks that are in it to pull fast ones on consumers would just admit their intentions and their true passions and stop standing on the fence...musicianship on one side and business on the other.

Ok....so you are a business man that slaps Lamborghini emblems on Saturn vehicles and sell them as Lamborghinis...and hope there are enough people out here who don't know what a real Lamborghini looks and performs like.

A conman.

Good job. Hope it works out for you for a long time.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
You don't understand.

PRoducer : Man I should be done mixing it.

P: You been on that **** for a whole hour. It sounds good enough to me, put it on DAT.

Producer: But I'M NOT FINISHED.

p: I know you're not finished. It aint on DAT yet. now print it so we can go to the next song.
Of course, that is a what a conman/businessman does. You have two types of businessmen...those that believe they will gain more profit from the reputation of a great product or those that believe in the time is money...and units being moved at all costs, regardless of flaws, malfuntions, and/or issues found before release.

P believed in spreading his money as often and as quick as possible. It never EVER is about the quality for him.....from his music, to his shoes, to his "Rap Snacks" potato chips. It's all about being in the public's eye as often as possible.
Old 14th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Of course, that is a what a conman/businessman does. You have two types of businessmen...those that believe they will gain more profit from the reputation of a great product or those that believe in the time is money...and units being moved at all costs, regardless of flaws, malfuntions, and/or issues found before release.

P believed in spreading his money as often and as quick as possible. It never EVER is about the quality for him.....from his music, to his shoes, to his "Rap Snacks" potato chips. It's all about being in the public's eye as often as possible.
HOLD UP

That doesn't make him a conman. If he sees that the producers of a product are more involved in the quality's importance than those who buy it, that makes him a business man but not a conman.

You forget there are plenty of people who have those records in their collection and regard them alot higher than u do.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
the producers of a product are more involved in the quality's importance than those who buy it

well this is what i was gonna respond to YOUR post about him with the engineer. Theres nothing wrong with walking in a saying --'sounds fine the way it is' if it truly sounds fine. Theres a point when the mix is getting the song across, and beyond that it becomes about the personal preference of the mixer...

As for you Big3rd, AGAIN your getting very insulting for no reason. We're DISCUSSING here, and your calling me names. Have you even checked any of my stuff out yet??? i can GARUNTEE you, if you could see the work, time, effort, musicianship, and studio wizardry, (yes WIZARDRY) i put into the songs i make, you'd not only understand my love and sincerity, but you'd be flat out blown away. Dont make me start posting ****. I aim to push music further on a POPULAR level. In 60 years when people are looking at the top forty charts in the early millenium, i want them to hear MY songs and say that was a great song. POPULAR music lasts thru the ages, thats what i strive for. I respect any song that makes it big to a certain degree, because i know what it takes to truly make something with any sort of mass appeal. And its NOT EASY. Your making big statements with no idea what i do or what i'm capable of. If i'm not using a soul sample and some break beat drums, then i'm not making real music? 'fukouttahere
Old 14th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
well this is what i was gonna respond to YOUR post about him with the engineer. Theres nothing wrong with walking in a saying --'sounds fine the way it is' if it truly sounds fine. Theres a point when the mix is getting the song across, and beyond that it becomes about the personal preference of the mixer...

As for you Big3rd, AGAIN your getting very insulting for no reason. We're DISCUSSING here, and your calling me names. Have you even checked any of my stuff out yet??? i can GARUNTEE you, if you could see the work, time, effort, musicianship, and studio wizardry, (yes WIZARDRY) i put into the songs i make, you'd not only understand my love and sincerity, but you'd be flat out blown away. Dont make me start posting ****. I aim to push music further on a POPULAR level. In 60 years when people are looking at the top forty charts in the early millenium, i want them to hear MY songs and say that was a great song. POPULAR music lasts thru the ages, thats what i strive for. I respect any song that makes it big to a certain degree, because i know what it takes to truly make something with any sort of mass appeal. And its NOT EASY. Your making big statements with no idea what i do or what i'm capable of. If i'm not using a soul sample and some break beat drums, then i'm not making real music? 'fukouttahere
But P not only said that to engineers he said it to producers too.
Old 14th September 2007
no ssl yet
3rd You have alot of theories and criticisms to be a dude we never heard ONE piece of music from.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
3rd You have alot of theories and criticisms to be a dude we never heard ONE piece of music from.
Oh trust me....I understand that. But I also understand and know what I'm capable of...and I really REALLY trust my judgement, as well as my skills. With that being said, I've gotten my noterity from many, locally, that have heard my projects. But I've never, and I do mean never had ANY doubt in the power of my music and the potential it has, if presented on a national level. Mixing skills? Maybe not as strong as I'd like...but definitely getting pretty f*cking strong lately.
But no one could EVER EVER EVER say I do not put passion in my music....after having heard it. PERIOD. This I know for a fact.

Because of the passion that I put into my music, I am very critical about what I put out, especially when talking about my peers....you guys. It is also why I go a little overboard with my comments to those that appear to toy with something I take very seriously....and use as a "hustle" with no strings attached. It just kinda irritates the **** outta me, especially when I see the entire game going down as a whole.

But I realize it is a new age and things and strategies must change. THEY MUST. But the passion seems to be left behind or quickly labeled "overrated."

I absolutely ADORE music and the power it can have over ones emotions and the memories it can jog. So just excuse my overzealousness.

And I apologize filterayok....I heard some of your music and it didn't sound like you don't give a ****...but dude, stop analyzing "Laffy Taffy" and **** like that....it's just whack and leave it at that. LOLheh

Speaking of which,

Have you guys heard this song by Soulja Boy. Oh my God, it has to be the top five worst and whackest songs I've EVER heard of any genre. Holy ****!!!

Is this what we are trying to analyze?

If so, let me go sell my HD2 system today.
Old 14th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Oh trust me....I understand that. But I also understand and know what I'm capable of...and I really REALLY trust my judgement, as well as my skills. With that being said, I've gotten my noterity from many, locally, that have heard my projects. But I've never, and I do mean never had ANY doubt in the power of my music and the potential it has, if presented on a national level. Mixing skills? Maybe not as strong as I'd like...but definitely getting pretty f*cking strong lately.
But no one could EVER EVER EVER say I do not put passion in my music....after having heard it. PERIOD. This I know for a fact.

Because of the passion that I put into my music, I am very critical about what I put out, especially when talking about my peers....you guys. It is also why I go a little overboard with my comments to those that appear to toy with something I take very seriously....and use as a "hustle" with no strings attached. It just kinda irritates the **** outta me, especially when I see the entire game going down as a whole.

But I realize it is a new age and things and strategies must change. THEY MUST. But the passion seems to be left behind or quickly labeled "overrated."

I absolutely ADORE music and the power it can have over ones emotions and the memories it can jog. So just excuse my overzealousness.

And I apologize filterayok....I heard some of your music and it didn't sound like you don't give a ****...but dude, stop analyzing "Laffy Taffy" and **** like that....it's just whack and leave it at that. LOLheh

Speaking of which,

Have you guys heard this song by Soulja Boy. Oh my God, it has to be the top five worst and whackest songs I've EVER heard of any genre. Holy ****!!!

Is this what we are trying to analyze?

If so, let me go sell my HD2 system today.
Dude you know what page I'm on musically, and Lyrically I can hold my own with anybody in the game so you may be shocked when I tell you I kinda like Solja Boy

I'm just playingheh
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think the whole thing was a joke and it proved that in this industry anything can happen/work.
seriously...ANYTHING LOL!!!

is there another song that mocks itself so brilliantly while you're listening to it? you don't even have to talk shi*t about that track. it takes care of itself

some goes for "Solja Boy"
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
seriously...ANYTHING LOL!!!

is there another song that mocks itself so brilliantly while you're listening to it? you don't even have to talk shi*t about that track. it takes care of itself

some goes for "Solja Boy"
this is what, in the industry, we call a 'novelty song'

they either become timeless classics, played at weddings/sweetsixteens/barmitzfas for all eternity, or become flash in the pan national obsessions, never to be heard from again. Either way, in this INDUSTRY they have their place.

And funny enough, the ONE friend i have that talks almost IDENTICAL to big3rd, is a brilliant musician who ALSO for some reason never plays his stuff for anybody... Maybe, then you ARE a tru artist, music making is a personal thing for you. If you never have any intention of SELLING your music, then your view is absolutely justified. But the moment you step into the realm of COMMERCIAL music, you must realize that you are stepping into a world where Solja Boy has a place. Its NOT fine art. But ask my Rock Musician friend if he thinks KIK PUSH is fine art either. In this industry EVERYTHING is a gimmick. Sometimes the gimmick is about 'Laffy Taffy" sometimes the gimmick is a brand new thugged out dance that you MUST learn to be cool. And sometimes the gimmick is "I have no gimmick, i'm REAL." I think Ashlee Simpson was using that angle at first. Sometimes the gimmick is "i'm a backpack skater rapper." You just have to remember that EITHER WAY, Lupe Fiasco has a team of radio promoters pushing his PRODUCT JUST like laffy taffy. He STILL worries how many albums he sold first week out. He STILL is approached with product endorsements and has managers and lawyers handling his deals. By attempting to treat your music like fine art, but ALSO be willing to sell it, YOUR the one riding the fence. Love what you do, be proud of what you do, but realize that your music is to BE SOLD to a public that sometimes craves pure stupidity done well. So either FORGET the notion of selling your music, or in the words of John McClain in DIe HArd

"welcome to the party pal!"
Old 14th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:

they either become timeless classics, played at weddings/sweetsixteens/barmitzfas for all eternity, or become flash in the pan national obsessions, never to be heard from again. Either way, in this INDUSTRY they have their place.

And funny enough, the ONE friend i have that talks almost IDENTICAL to big3rd, is a brilliant musician who ALSO for some reason never plays his stuff for anybody... Maybe, then you ARE a tru artist, music making is a personal thing for you. If you never have any intention of SELLING your music, then your view is absolutely justified. But the moment you step into the realm of COMMERCIAL music, you must realize that you are stepping into a world where Solja Boy has a place. Its NOT fine art. But ask my Rock Musician friend if he thinks KIK PUSH is fine art either. In this industry EVERYTHING is a gimmick. Sometimes the gimmick is about 'Laffy Taffy" sometimes the gimmick is a brand new thugged out dance that you MUST learn to be cool. And sometimes the gimmick is "I have no gimmick, i'm REAL." I think Ashlee Simpson was using that angle at first. Sometimes the gimmick is "i'm a backpack skater rapper." You just have to remember that EITHER WAY, Lupe Fiasco has a team of radio promoters pushing his PRODUCT JUST like laffy taffy. He STILL worries how many albums he sold first week out. He STILL is approached with product endorsements and has managers and lawyers handling his deals. By attempting to treat your music like fine art, but ALSO be willing to sell it, YOUR the one riding the fence. Love what you do, be proud of what you do, but realize that your music is to BE SOLD to a public that sometimes craves pure stupidity done well. So either FORGET the notion of selling your music, or in the words of John McClain in DIe HArd

Nothing wrong with having a single that works and is gimmiky but only talent lends longevity. Everyone needs a marketing angle in today's quick hit singles only business that's not about building careers. We are served the myth that the market's attention span is so short that you should only serve them instant short term product. I don't buy it.

And I don't think the guys that made Laffy Taffy thought they had anything more than a joke in the beginning. (But I've seen other jokes blow up and prove that if you package it and attempt to sell it, people may buy it.) THE PROBLEM
that you touched upon is those dudes that may have the musical equivalent to the cure for Cancer tend to NOT package it and sell it.

If It aint out there to be purchased, EVERY other product is better than it is in terms of market power. Why? Because every other product has the potential to sell, while it has none.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Great post man....and you are absolutely right. Make a lot of sense when you look at it in that sense.

Trust me...I plan on selling my music...but I'm am OVERLY critical of it. I am one that don't like "fillers" in my projects. I want EVERY SINGLE SONG to be a classic in its own right...or at the very least, DEMAND a microscope. I want a complete WELL ROUNDED ALBUM....not an album full of singles, which is what the norm is today.

But point well taken brah. I hope no hard feelings. My passion gets the best of me sometimes.
Old 14th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Great post man....and you are absolutely right. Make a lot of sense when you look at it in that sense.

Trust me...I plan on selling my music...but I'm am OVERLY critical of it. I am one that don't like "fillers" in my projects. I want EVERY SINGLE SONG to be a classic in its own right...or at the very least, DEMAND a microscope. I want a complete WELL ROUNDED ALBUM....not an album full of singles, which is what the norm is today.

But point well taken brah. I hope no hard feelings. My passion gets the best of me sometimes.
Dude take it from ya boy (Cause You know I know).

Overly critical = missed sales

It's called Paralysis by Analysis.

I know you want to give birth to a master piece with perfect mixes and perfect songs. I applaud that. But the market's attention goes to the guy who makes records. If I polled your neighborhood asking who makes rap records around here, would your name be mentioned?

The reason I ask is because that guy with less perfect skills than you and worse mixes is developing a track record. (TRUST ME THIS HURT me before).
He is also making MONEY from his art while you are making Art only. (Though yours may be more artistic.)

In the long run he becomes known for making music while you don't. He pays someone to mix his 3rd album and buys better tracks AND LYRICS.
(YES rap music is like RnB and other genres with guys selling not only tracks but more. I recently had a major label camp looking for tracks for their artist ask for the TRACK, HOOK AND THE AD LIBS!! (HOW THE FUK can I supply adlibs when I don't know what they lyrics will be that the artist will write?)

The game train is moving. GET ON IT even if you are not sure of the mixes etc...

Don't become too attached to a single record. It's only one of many.

BUT on the flip side keep quality high and be artistic.

It's a balance and that balance is what it means to be a professional who cares about the quality of his work. (It builds longevity, but you got to FIRST be IN the game to be in it long Term.)
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude take it from ya boy (Cause You know I know).

Overly critical = missed sales

It's called Paralysis by Analysis.

I know you want to give birth to a master piece with perfect mixes and perfect songs. I applaud that. But the market's attention goes to the guy who makes records. If I polled your neighborhood asking who makes rap records around here, would your name be mentioned?

The reason I ask is because that guy with less perfect skills than you and worse mixes is developing a track record. (TRUST ME THIS HURT me before).
He is also making MONEY from his art while you are making Art only. (Though yours may be more artistic.)

In the long run he becomes known for making music while you don't. He pays someone to mix his 3rd album and buys better tracks AND LYRICS.
(YES rap music is like RnB and other genres with guys selling not only tracks but more. I recently had a major label camp looking for tracks for their artist ask for the TRACK, HOOK AND THE AD LIBS!! (HOW THE FUK can I supply adlibs when I don't know what they lyrics will be that the artist will write?)

The game train is moving. GET ON IT even if you are not sure of the mixes etc...

Don't become too attached to a single record. It's only one of many.

BUT on the flip side keep quality high and be artistic.

It's a balance and that balance is what it means to be a professional who cares about the quality of his work. (It builds longevity, but you got to FIRST be IN the game to be in it long Term.)
Yeah, you right man. My wife gets on me all the time....."move on damn it... the **** is hot!"

I just want to make others feel what I feel when I hear a masterpiece.
When I heard ""]Legend of the fall offs" and "Liberation" for the first couple of times, they blew my f*cking mind.

I love money like the next man....but having mofos drooling over a piece that you slaved over? Priceless.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

no hard feelings at all, my rock musician friend berates me even more then u do. At least your willing to see the other side of things, if even for a moment.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search