The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kids anyone?
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Kids anyone?

I'm curious as to how many Gearslutz actually have kids. I'm also interested to know how many don't want kids(assuming you don't have any). I have no desire to have any children and it's driving my family insane. I tell them that I'm too selfish with my own life. I WANT to record and help make music, even if it consumes 20 hours a day, I absolutely love it and don't think it would be fair to have kids, at least not to them. I'm not going to be a dad if I can't be a good one, mine sucked.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
I have a 6 year old son who I live for. I didn't really want kids, and he was a happy accident. I was doing the band thing and the producing thing at the time. I DEFINITELY didn't have time for a kid.

Since he was born, my life completely changed. I married his mom. I got a real job that I am now very successful at, and best of all, I am no longer doing music to try to make a living, which to me makes it SO MUCH more enjoyable to create and record. Not only that, but my son is very musical as well, and jamming with him is the best. The fact that you are concerned about being a good parent is a good one. It means you care, and you probably would make a great dad.
Wow...parallel lives... My story is identical, as are my sentiments. Though I have a 6 year old daughter, and a second since then who's now three. Parenthood is the most lifechanging, maturity-accelerating experience possible. Love it.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

I was as selfish as they come. But as I got older I wanted children. I wasn't sure how fit I'd be as a parent because I spend an inordinate time practicing, gigging and otherwise making music. I have two boys. Now 15 and another going on 17. There isn't anything remotely as remarkable I've done that compares to being a father. Nothing comes close. And my boys love that I play music. They don't particularly LIKE my music but they're very proud of me. And I still practice and play music just like I always did. I wouldn't be their father if I didn't. And I'm very, very close to them. My wife and I have 100%/100% split in terms of responsibilities. Since I've always been home more than she has been, I have taken a LOT of care for them. I wouldn'nt have had it any other way. I've done more of the taking them to the doctors, to school, to basketball practice, getting their lunch and sometimes dinner (pizza!). But it's the sharing and the communication and watching them and their own personalities and all the laughter. LOVE man. It's all about learning about and experiencing and spreading that love thing. Children brought all of that to me. And boy, was I in need of it!
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well great, I was looking for someone to say "yeah man, you don't need kids to have a fulfilling life". Now I'm more depressed.heh It's awesome that you guys have kids you love and that love you. It's just, I'm 28 already and I'm nowhere near ready to have kids. I just have no desire, I don't know what's wrong with me.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

i;m 32 yrs old and have 4 kids.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy79 View Post
Well great, I was looking for someone to say "yeah man, you don't need kids to have a fulfilling life". Now I'm more depressed.heh It's awesome that you guys have kids you love and that love you. It's just, I'm 28 already and I'm nowhere near ready to have kids. I just have no desire, I don't know what's wrong with me.
You shouldn't be forced to have kids. If you don't want them, don't have them. God kows we don't need more incompetent, uncaring parents in the world. People should pressure kids to have kids. BUT I don't know what I'll do if neither of my boys decide to not have kids. I think both would be great parents and I really want grand kids someday. If they decide against, that's the end of my line, not that that's all that important.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've got a son who is 3 1/2. A happy accident.
Worked in the theatre as a sound and light technician, quit my job for my son because working 80h a week wasn't ideal for your family life. Now i'm working a "normal" job, producing when he's asleep or at school and doing live acts. It leaves me enough time for me and my son (being a single parent).

He is the BEST thing that happened to me!
He's such a joyfull kid, he is the reason i get up every morning with a smile.

Like every parent i can't resist to post a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Kids anyone?-afbeelding-006-large-.jpg  
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Speaking of kids, what is your guys take on technology exposure with them. Do you all do the TV and video game thing? Computers, etc.?

My boy is 6 and in 1st grade. He is the only kid in his class that doesn't play video games. Some of his friends walk around with a Nintendo DS constantly. He doesn't watch TV, although we will do certain DVDs for a treat, maybe once a week. He is only allowed to use the computer with his mother or I. He can listen to music whenever he likes. He listens to everything from classical, to the Cars Movie soundtrack, to Led Zeppelin to Joe Satriani. He loves to play the drums (he's no prodigy, but he can keep a beat) and he LOVES to dance. He is already reading at the 3rd grade level. He's no genius, but I think not sitting in front of the idiot box is a huge factor.
I had a policy for a short while of no video game systems. But then I changed amended that to "if you buy it yourself, that's OK, but I won't contribute." Man, those little buggars can be resourceful! They bought a Dreamcast, PS2, XBox, XBox 360, Game Cube, Nintendo . . . Ah! I put close scrutiny on what they could and couldn't play. No Resident Evil or that car hijacking game. They love the Madden and basketball games. They're both atheletes. They work very hard so I'm not overly concerned with how they spend their recreational time. I haven't seen any bad side effects. They're great ethical kids. Smart, kind and considerate. If I saw evidence of bad attitudes, cursing, being unkind o others or inconsiderate, stupid, I might have changed my mind.

I agree that the idiot box is a bad thing. I didn't police that as much as I should've. My oldest would just get hypnotized in front of a TV. He'd walk in a room and stop cold in front of the screen. I'd have to wake him up and get him off it. "Charlie! Charlie! Come here. Look at this, " and point something out to get his attention off of it. He loves to read and had a very advanced reading level from very early on. My youngest hates reading but does it every day because he has to.

Good kids. You cannot spoil a kid wit htoo much love and attention. It atkes other things to spoil a kid.
Old 7th September 2007
no ssl yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I had a policy for a short while of no video game systems. But then I changed amended that to "if you buy it yourself, that's OK, but I won't contribute." Man, those little buggars can be resourceful! They bought a Dreamcast, PS2, XBox, XBox 360, Game Cube, Nintendo . . . Ah! I put close scrutiny on what they could and couldn't play. No Resident Evil or that car hijacking game. They love the Madden and basketball games. They're both atheletes. They work very hard so I'm not overly concerned with how they spend their recreational time. I haven't seen any bad side effects. They're great ethical kids. Smart, kind and considerate. If I saw evidence of bad attitudes, cursing, being unkind o others or inconsiderate, stupid, I might have changed my mind.

I agree that the idiot box is a bad thing. I didn't police that as much as I should've. My oldest would just get hypnotized in front of a TV. He'd walk in a room and stop cold in front of the screen. I'd have to wake him up and get him off it. "Charlie! Charlie! Come here. Look at this, " and point something out to get his attention off of it. He loves to read and had a very advanced reading level from very early on. My youngest hates reading but does it every day because he has to.

Good kids. You cannot spoil a kid wit htoo much love and attention. It atkes other things to spoil a kid.
Have you ever played madden or the Live basketball game? If you played any ball growing up, and went through the electric football game and later head to head football or power pigskin game, YOU'd LOVE them.

So do your kids play any music?

Reading is one of the best things in the world for me.

I like to understand stuff.

LOL I remember I broke my group's first cordless mike years ago because after a gig, I took the mike home.

When they asked how I broke it (unscrewing the head and the wires were very short)

My response was "I wanted to see how it worked".

LOL they clowned me for years for that.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Have you ever played madden or the Live basketball game? If you played any ball growing up, and went through the electric football game and later head to head football or power pigskin game, YOU'd LOVE them.

So do your kids play any music?
I was always playing music. Never into sports myself.

NO. I couldn't get my kids to play music. I wish they did!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search