The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I just spent $140,000 Modular Synthesizers
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scinx View Post
Nope. Gambling winnings are taxable income (can be offset by gambling losses if itemizing). Lottery type winnings require a 25% withholding, regardless of whether it is being paid out in time or gotten as a lump sum. Winnings go into your AGI and are taxed at your regular ordinary rate
Ok! the Lottery in Europe in general is tax free IIRC
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yep, in Europe lottery winnings are not taxed and losses are not deductable.
And why should they be deductable? After all the lottery here in UK is a form of tax known as the 'stupidity tax' ie statistically you have to invest in 15mio. tickets at £1 a pop to win on average something like £3mio.

I think in some places you have one year to invest lottery winnings before they are taxed.
Old 8th September 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post
No. I'm almost 100% you pay huge amounts of taxes...close to 50%
Right, so really... "buying" this car could be seen as a huge waste of money. People who can afford toys like these can also afford to keep them in good repair. Ever looked in a Consumer Reports car buying guide? Audi reliability isn't that good.

But yeah, a car like that would be fun for awhile.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

An AUDI?
You paid $140k for an AUDI?

Sorry, but there's way cooler cars than an Audi for $140k
But whatever floats your boat.
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Congrats on the win!
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

i smell bull****..............somebody in here said that they were supposed to be going to iraq a month ago. seems a bit extreme and outlandish to me
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Frankly I'm disgusted that you're not spending it all on a huge rack of Pultecs.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I have a seriously bitchin' 8 year old Toyota Tacoma.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Nut

i have a Jaguar XJR
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have an 8 year old subaru imprezza
Will see of most things round corners and doesn't cost much.
It's the Logic 8 of cars
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

Not to **** on the parade, but me and my friends have had a bunch of Audi's.
We've had A4's, A6's, S4's, RS6

They've all been pieces of ****. Every single one of mine, 2 A4's, an A6 And my buddies RS6 saw the shop atleast 5 times apiece over a stretch of 2 years. Granted they have fairly good service, loaners, quick, etc...
but it started to get to the point where I would spend every morning wondering if I was going to make it the 20 miles to the office.

Always the same type problems too... emissions/exhaust/electrical

I replaced the catalytic converter 3 times, and the whole right side of the exhaust system on my last A4.

I'm not an agressive driver, I drive 20 "easy" miles to and from work, live in South Florida.

I've always wondered if Audi's arent' built to handle the high heat/humidity of FLA.

Either way, got a BMW now, and it's been nothing but a pleasure.
It'd take me alot to go back to an Audi.

OH YEAH... I DO MISS THE QUATTRO THOUGH... DAMN THAT **** HELD THE ROAD. MY NEXT BMW MIGHT HAVE TO BE AN XI.

Just my opinion from experience
Antagonist
www.myspace.com/leftcoastrider
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post

They've all been pieces of ****. Every single one of mine, 2 A4's, an A6 And my buddies RS6 saw the shop atleast 5 times apiece over a stretch of 2 years. Granted they have fairly good service, loaners, quick, etc...
but it started to get to the point where I would spend every morning wondering if I was going to make it the 20 miles to the office.

I replaced the catalytic converter 3 times, and the whole right side of the exhaust system on my last A4.

I'm not an agressive driver, I drive 20 "easy" miles to and from work, live in South Florida.

I've always wondered if Audi's arent' built to handle the high heat/humidity of FLA.

OH YEAH... I DO MISS THE QUATTRO THOUGH... DAMN THAT **** HELD THE ROAD. MY NEXT BMW MIGHT HAVE TO BE AN XI.

Antagonist
MySpace.com - ANTAGONIST - CALIFLORIDA - Hip Hop / Rap / Freestyle - www.myspace.com/leftcoastrider

Yeah, never been a big Audi fan. My wife once had an Audi 5000. Yuk, I drove it a couple times and struggled to keep it going in a straight line. My brother has an A6 and while it seems pretty nice, he never seemed to be all that excited about it. He also has an old BWM 3 series that he still drives. And of course there was that issue with the transmission that drove the car itself (and killed a few in the process), which really was poor pr on their part to not just admit the problem and instead blame it on the drivers.

If I wanted a German car I would get a Porsche. They had the highest reliability rating of any car made in one survey I saw.
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

This is very good info. I was thinking of getting an Audio TT. But I'll steer clear.
Maybe get a boxster, or for now, maybe just go for a new Pontiac Solstice GXP turbo for half the price.
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
This is very good info. I was thinking of getting an Audio TT. But I'll steer clear.
Maybe get a boxster, or for now, maybe just go for a new Pontiac Solstice GXP turbo for half the price.

Oooh, you may want to stay away from that Solstice.

Toyota skids in reliability rankings

Quote:
But 20 of the 44 "least reliable" models named by Consumer Reports were also from domestic manufacturers.

The least reliable car of all, according to Consumer Reports survey, is General Motors' Pontiac Solstice sports car. Its reliability was calculated to be 234 percent worse than average. It was followed closely by GM's Cadillac Escalade EXT, which is calculated to be 220 percent less reliable than the average vehicle.
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post

Antagonist
www.myspace.com/leftcoastrider
It's like you're telling my story...hilarious. A6 owner, till the cat converter went out twice...now I drive a 325XI....too funny.
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
If I wanted a German car I would get a Porsche. They had the highest reliability rating of any car made in one survey I saw.
porsche is for shure for someone who is something in his mid 50ties and in deep late midlife crisis but the design is very good indeed...

Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Don't buy cars, lease em!
Yeah I would have leased that ride personally. If you can afford a super nice car, leasing is a great option. It is not a great option if you are getting a cheap car.
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Nut

Audi? now that's a mans car.. Vorsprung teknik an all that!

wtf is power ball???
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Slevin View Post
wtf is power ball???
a bottomless black whole filled with promise that leaves you broke...violated...alone... and wanting more.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmasjones View Post
a bottomless black whole filled with promise that leaves you broke...violated...alone... and wanting more.
That's called an eight ball
Old 17th October 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

I don't know where anybody read that the boxster was a well-built, reliable car. It's way down there in poor to very poor ranking according to Consumer Reports. Just like Audi. If you have money to burn and time to waste, go for it. Trendy cars are usually crap.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTPH View Post
That's called an eight ball
touche!
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by christmasjones View Post
I didn't know we were talking about ownign a studio.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
I don't know where anybody read that the boxster was a well-built, reliable car. It's way down there in poor to very poor ranking according to Consumer Reports. Just like Audi. If you have money to burn and time to waste, go for it. Trendy cars are usually crap.
Thought I'd do a quick search, and found that the above statement is completely false.

In fact, this Consumer report article frpm 2005 givet it an Excellent overal score:

Consumer Reports Names Porsche Boxster Top-Rated Upscale Roadster | Auto Spectator

So, I'm not sure where you're gettign your facts, but they seem to eb a bit of.
Old 17th October 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Weird that CR would post that when I'm looking at their 2007 Buying Guide and the boxster fails miserably in the most important category of all: engine.

'99: black
'00: better than average
'01: black
'02: worse than average
'03: black
'04: black

Perhaps they've improved a great deal in the last 3 years, for which there is no current rating information. I seriously doubt it.

But hey - the boxsters apparently have great AC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Thought I'd do a quick search, and found that the above statement is completely false.

In fact, this Consumer report article frpm 2005 givet it an Excellent overal score:

Consumer Reports Names Porsche Boxster Top-Rated Upscale Roadster | Auto Spectator

So, I'm not sure where you're gettign your facts, but they seem to eb a bit of.
Old 18th October 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know, but right here, Consumer Reports gives it a score of 90:

Consumer Reports Ratings for the 2007 Porsche Boxster at MSN Autos - MSN Autos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Weird that CR would post that when I'm looking at their 2007 Buying Guide and the boxster fails miserably in the most important category of all: engine.

'99: black
'00: better than average
'01: black
'02: worse than average
'03: black
'04: black

Perhaps they've improved a great deal in the last 3 years, for which there is no current rating information. I seriously doubt it.

But hey - the boxsters apparently have great AC!
Old 18th October 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

I'm sure it's a fun car to drive, which is pretty much all the review mentions.

Important sentence from that review:

"Reliability has been spotty but is average of late."

Anyway, I wouldn't...
Old 20th October 2007
Lives for gear

I drive a Honda Element. $20,000, 77 cubic feet of cargo space, 25 mpg, and in the Consumer Reports top 10 "most likely to go over 200,000 miles"

I'd rather spend all that money on drugs and women.... [sigh] more like Iphones and software.
Old 20th October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
On this baby Be ready for me to pickup in 6 weeks)
2008 Audi w12>>>v12 baby!!!
The poor beg for food, the rich beg for envy.
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHENDONLY View Post
On this baby Be ready for me to pickup in 6 weeks)
2008 Audi w12>>>v12 baby!!!

lol What a coincidence. That W12 image you attached is something I worked on. I am a digital artist/retoucher for a national ad agency in my day job. I have worked with a lot of Audi photography. In fact we are finishing up the A8 brochure for the 2008 model year this month. Pretty much everything you see is a lie and everything about the photography has been altered and composited.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search