The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does colon cleansing really cause weight loss Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet 
Does colon cleansing really cause weight loss

Guys does anyone know the real answer here? Does colon cleaning really cause weight loss? (And SG no jokes about me being full of **** LOL)heh
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Winner: Strangest Gearslutz subject ever.

Even for this section... I mean...
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
Winner: Strangest Gearslutz subject ever.

Even for this section... I mean...
Yeah the thought of cleansing toxins from your body. Well that's pretty strange.heh
Didn't John Wayne die because he was full of it?

I eat my share of steaks too.

I've been on a health kick lately. I'll probably get my liver cleaned as well (LORD only knows what's left in there LOL).
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f 
If you eat a lot of meat, chances are you probably have undigested portions lodged in folds within the colon, so in those cases, yes, a colon cleanse will probably dislodge and clear out some of that and cause some weight loss. How much depends on the person, could be minimal, or it could be substantial depending on one's overall previous dietary intake.

Someone eating a high fiber diet with little or no meat won't get any benefit from a colon cleanse and is better off avoiding one.
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
If you eat a lot of meat, chances are you probably have undigested portions lodged in folds within the colon, so in those cases, yes, a colon cleanse will probably dislodge and clear out some of that and cause some weight loss. How much depends on the person, could be minimal, or it could be substantial depending on one's overall previous dietary intake.

Someone eating a high fiber diet with little or no meat won't get any benefit from a colon cleanse and is better off avoiding one.
I've gone high fiber lately, but I've eaten red meat since birth.howd
(I'm still not giving up steaks, just eating lean cuts and less often).

EDIT

I think the John Wayne thing is an urban myth
Urban Legends Reference Pages: Red Meat Impacts Feces in Colon
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is utter bull****. My brothers idiot girlfriend does colon cleansing, so I've looked into the subject and found its complete hogwash. In fact it often causes a lot more problems than it supposedly helps.
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f 
Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob View Post
That is utter bull****. My brothers idiot girlfriend does colon cleansing, so I've looked into the subject and found its complete hogwash. In fact it often causes a lot more problems than it supposedly helps.
Sorry, but it's not bull**** or hogwash at all. Clearly you've never been to a colonic clinic and seen the stuff that comes out of people.

That said, as I stated, if one eats a natural, balanced diet, one shouldn't need colonics or cleanses, as it's more of a last resort than anything else. I would agree that no one should be doing colonics or cleanses on a regular basis. But it is a medical fact that certain diets will cause a buildup of undigested food in the folds of the colon that over time can lead to health problems, and a colonic or colon cleanse is an efficient way to eliminate that. But as I said, it is NOT something someone should be doing on a regular basis. If you are, then you need to change your diet.

And it should be noted that there is nothing wrong with a diet that includes meat or animal products, as long as they are not laced with hormones, chemicals or other unnatural toxins and substances. Grass fed beef, free range poultry and wild mercury-free fish are all fine as part of a balanced diet.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, but it's not bull**** or hogwash at all. Clearly you've never been to a colonic clinic and seen the stuff that comes out of people.
If you want to believe in quackery and get tubes stuffed up your butt, be my guest.

Colon cleansing: Is it helpful or harmful? - MayoClinic.com

Gastrointestinal Quackery: Colonics, Laxatives, and Morek

"Some people have reported expelling large amounts of what they claim to be feces that have accumulated on he intestinal wall. However, experts believe these are simply "casts" formed by the fiber contained in the "cleansing" products."
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f 
Quote:
If you want to believe in quackery and get tubes stuffed up your butt, be my guest.
I've never needed it, because I eat a healthy complete diet. But once again, if you've never actually seen what comes out of someone after a colonic as I have when I was accompanying my wife on a visit as part of her holistic nutrition doctorate work, then, well, you're just talking out your ass (pun intended).

Quote:
Gastrointestinal Quackery: Colonics, Laxatives, and Morek

"Some people have reported expelling large amounts of what they claim to be feces that have accumulated on he intestinal wall. However, experts believe these are simply "casts" formed by the fiber contained in the "cleansing" products."
I always love when an article states "experts believe". Is that like religious science? Did they actually examine the material that was expelled and make a scientific determination? And by default I discount the agenda or POV of any MD who cites the FDA (aka big pharma) to back up his argument, as the doctor in your article does.

Quote:
Colon cleansing: Is it helpful or harmful? - MayoClinic.com
From your article here:

"Your colon doesn't require enemas or special diets or pills to eliminate waste material and bacteria. It does this naturally on its own."

Yes, this is true, under normal dietary circumstances. It does NOT take into account the ingestion of the kinds of chemicals, additives and other unnatural toxins that many people today eat as a routine part of their diet. I agree 100% that if you are eating a natural, balanced diet, your body will work normally without any outside assistance. However, if like most Americans, you're consuming partially hydrogenated fats, high fructose corn syrup, pesticides, hormones and other toxic substances, then all bets are off.

From the article again:

"Long-term or excessive cleansing programs can lead to problems such as anemia, malnutrition and heart failure."

Well, DUH. These treatments are fixes for a specific problem, NOT something that should be incorporated as a routine in someone's health regime.

Look, the bottom line is that colonics or cleanses as I stated are NOT something people should be doing if they're eating a balanced diet and are not experiencing health issues. I agree that anyone doing this kind of thing on a regular basis is addressing the wrong remedy. But the idea that it is not a viable treatment for the buildup of toxins and undigested material is itself hogwash.
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet 
Quote:
I've never needed it, because I eat a healthy complete diet. But once again, if you've never actually seen what comes out of someone after a colonic as I have when I was accompanying my wife on a visit as part of her holistic nutrition doctorate work, then, well, you're just talking out your ass (pun intended).

I always love when an article states "experts believe". Is that like religious science? Did they actually examine the material that was expelled and make a scientific determination? And by default I discount the agenda or POV of any MD who cites the FDA (aka big pharma) to back up his argument, as the doctor in your article does.

Look, the bottom line is that colonics or cleanses as I stated are NOT something people should be doing if they're eating a balanced diet and are not experiencing health issues. I agree that anyone doing this kind of thing on a regular basis is addressing the wrong remedy. But the idea that it is not a viable treatment for the buildup of toxins and undigested material is itself hogwash.

I'm on the sidelines, but are you saying he's speaking fecal matter?heh

One of my friends is gung ho on going to get it. (Lord knows what he really needs is a diet). If it'll work for anyone it should be him (His diet consists of 4x weekly buffet visits).

If he should lose 15 pounds instantly, I'll believe it.

Otherwise, I think my Colon cleanses itself ok.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
as I have when I was accompanying my wife on a visit as part of her holistic nutrition doctorate work.....
So you have a vested interest in your opinion. I think I'd rather believe the Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist instead of your wife.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

That said, as I stated, if one eats a natural, balanced diet, one shouldn't need colonics or cleanses, as it's more of a last resort than anything else
There are clearly two schools of thought on the matter and I don't think the medical community and the holistic healthy community are likely to agree at any point.

My position is to use common sense- I suspect that the 'stuff' that comes out is likely to come out anyway through normal digestion provided the person has a balanced diet, enough fibre and not too much fat and sugar in their diet.
The problem is that few people eat a balanced diet.

I have some friends who do have colonic irrigation as part of a "health programme"- not for weight loss but more for what they believe is overall health.
Strangely they also take a lot of drugs- coke, weed, e, ketamine and such- I would have thought that cutting that out would have been the first step towards health but anyway.

I suspect that this "binge and purge" is psychological in nature- part of the judeo-christian guilt mechanism.
Overload the body and then punish it for the indulgence- but that is just my theory.

So weight loss? Well I guess you weigh a bit less afterwards.
Fat loss? Unlikely- you lose fat by changing your diet and exercising- not shoving tubes up your bum.
Overall health? Perhaps but there are much less intrusive ways.
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet 
My girlfriend and I have an ongoing joke about this.

LOL Why not just bring your asshole to the car wash.
heh
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f 
Quote:
So you have a vested interest in your opinion. I think I'd rather believe the Mayo Clinic gastroenterologist instead of your wife.
No, I have an opinion based on first hand observation. Yours is based on articles you've read from doctors that you have no idea what ties they have to the FDA, Big Pharma, or have just plain been indoctrinated against any natural or non medical treatments.

What I've learned via my wife's studies just confirms how entrenched and corrupt the medical establishment is. If it doesn't come in a pill or shot that Big Pharma or the doctors they own can control and profit from, it gets discredited. This isn't news, and has been done over and over with countless natural and preventative treatments for myriad conditions going back to the beginning of the 20th century.

If you want to truly be informed on the subject, you need to read up on the other side of the coin. You'll find plenty of case studies and research that has no ties to Big Pharma that supports the other side. And yes, the Mayo Clinic, for all its prestigious name, has ties to Big Pharma.
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f 
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post

My position is to use common sense- I suspect that the 'stuff' that comes out is likely to come out anyway through normal digestion provided the person has a balanced diet, enough fibre and not too much fat and sugar in their diet.
The problem is that few people eat a balanced diet.
Exactly.

Quote:
Overall health? Perhaps but there are much less intrusive ways.
Yep, a healthy balanced diet, regular exercise and regular exposure to sunlight is about all you need. If you do that, you won't need much in the way of any treatments, natural or medical.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

"Colonic cleansing" is another $$ venture from the industry known as "dietary supplements". I love it when people point the finger at the FDA as illegitimate because of the $$ behind it. Well, if you havent noticed, the "natural supplement" business is a multi-billion/ yr industry. It also is backed by large manufacturers like "Nature made", TRC etc etc.
The big difference of course is that in order for 'real' medicines to make the grade, they have to be proven to work through years of scientific studies.
'Natural supplements' on the other hand can claim whatever the heck they want as long as they call it a 'dietary supplement'. So yes, you are more than free to give your money to a product that gives you diarrhea for a day or two.

As far as the science of colonic cleaning as a way of removing 'toxins'.....it totally bogus. The main function of the colon is to absorb water and concentrate the remaining food products into stool. Of course there are lots of people who have problems with their colons and have constipation, chronic diarrhea etc etc and may need medicinal help.
But for those people who have normal heathy stools, washing your colon out offers no medicinal benifits.....[other than doing it every 10 years starting at age 50yo (40yo if you have a family member with colon cancer / or 10 years earlier than the age of the 1st degree member at the time of their diagnosis) to get your colonoscopy. ]

So yes, clean your colon out before your colonoscopy as guided by your doc, but other than that...spend your money elsewhere.
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

I think the colonics can generally be useful to people, especially those who eat a lot of meat and not a lot of plant fiber. Don't expect to see weight loss. Some people get a little distended in the waist area from the backup, but generally the body is good at ridding itself of that as long as you're healthy anyway. Which gets back to zboy's statements about eating healthy in the first place.

The liver cleanse is a little more psychological as the liver is an extremely efficient self cleaning organ. If your liver is really in that bad a way then lay off the fat, drugs and alcohol, you'll be doing it a lot more of a favor than any "lemonade fast" or other crap that supposedly cleans the liver. YMMV

Repeat after me, "There is no magic bullet, there is no magic pill..."
Old 22nd August 2007
no ssl yet 
OK it's too much controversy for me. I'll just walk/jog an hour a day and workout.
(I already eat a pretty well balanced diet).

And I did lose 19 pounds in 2 months of changing my diet, (BUt I had only put that weight on during the Hurricane and evacuation so it wasnt normal for me)
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankdoc View Post
"Colonic cleansing" is another $$ venture from the industry known as "dietary supplements". I love it when people point the finger at the FDA as illegitimate because of the $$ behind it. Well, if you havent noticed, the "natural supplement" business is a multi-billion/ yr industry. It also is backed by large manufacturers like "Nature made", TRC etc etc.
Your point is well taken and I agree the supplement business is a bit like snake oil as you'll likely just piss out 99% of the supplements anyway...
however, there are "natural" healing methods which evolved through practices like Chinese medicine and Ayurveda over thousands of years which work effectively, and you're right, they're not pills. Colonics may not do to everyone, every single time everything they claim it can do, but it is still effective for people. Just because commerce is involved doesn't mean you can't get a benefit from it.

I have been using the Neti Pot for a year now and it has severely cut down on sinus and allergy issues and colds. It cost me $12 plus the occasional $1 for sea salt and I don't need the FDA to tell me whether it does or doesn't work.

Common sense should prevail.
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f 
Quote:
The power and influence of the natural supplement industry doesn't even register as a pimple on the ass of Big Pharma...

Quote:
The big difference of course is that in order for 'real' medicines to make the grade, they have to be proven to work through years of scientific studies.
Ah yes, like such fine FDA approved, scientifically studied 'real' medicines such as Vioxx, Avandia, Tysabri, Meridia, Zelnorm, and others. Oh, that also just happened to be killing people or causing other life threatening conditions...

Quote:
'Natural supplements' on the other hand can claim whatever the heck they want as long as they call it a 'dietary supplement'. So yes, you are more than free to give your money to a product that gives you diarrhea for a day or two.
WRONG. Under current law, natural supplement makers most certainly CANNOT claim "whatever the heck they want" regarding their products. They have to classify themselves as "dietary supplements" to get to market (often due to the politics and money of Big Pharma and its oh so cozy relationship with the FDA), but even so, there are still severe restrictions on what public claims they can make regarding the efficacy or usage of the product.

Quote:
But for those people who have normal heathy stools, washing your colon out offers no medicinal benifits.....
Hmm, I thought that's what I was saying already...
Old 22nd August 2007
Deleted bd1be4f 
Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
OK it's too much controversy for me. I'll just walk/jog an hour a day and workout.
(I already eat a pretty well balanced diet).
Then you'll be fine, you don't need anything else.
Old 22nd August 2007
Village Idiot

No SSL....take a few months off the internet before its too late...

I mean that in the nicest way.

Gustav
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

Real medicines?

I happen to have my own direct experience with natural supplements. I can 100% assure you that they work. I take about 6 or 7 of them every single day for various ailments and I can tell you that they help tremendously. A lot more than the drugs that doctors have given me when I've been sick. In most cases with those, I didn't get better until I stopped taking them!

Do you happen to work in the pharmacuetical business?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
So weight loss? Well I guess you weigh a bit less afterwards.

This is the popular joke amongst competitive cycling enthusiasts: While some guys are bragging over how they shaved 13grams off their climbing weight by drilling holes in their $500 titanium brake calipers, I calmly go into the nearest men's room and drop half a pound.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1

It's not really controversial.

Just exercise and eat right and your keister will do a great job of cleaning itself.

There's flora in there that is there for a reason. Colon cleansing washes it out which is not good.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh come on that's rude and naive. The AMA hates alternative anything. These are the people who say too much C is bad for you. No ****, too much water is bad for you. Water kills! EVERYONE has a bias ... you do too. But what's our experience?

I had a colonic 14 years ago and have been thinking about it again. Every 10 years or so it's totally "safe" and you will feel better. It's a little bit traumatic, and the net result is a very empty feeling, but I'd do it again as I'm sure it was a toxic cleanout the first time around.

There are often pounds of undigested crap in our systems. We are not perfect eating machines in a perfect food world. Mayo is wrong on this one.

As a weight loss tool, it's wrong, and I hope it doesn't become quick fix fad. Probably wont, too hard.
Old 6th September 2007
no ssl yet 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Oh come on that's rude and naive. The AMA hates alternative anything. These are the people who say too much C is bad for you. No ****, too much water is bad for you. Water kills! EVERYONE has a bias ... you do too. But what's our experience?

I had a colonic 14 years ago and have been thinking about it again. Every 10 years or so it's totally "safe" and you will feel better. It's a little bit traumatic, and the net result is a very empty feeling, but I'd do it again as I'm sure it was a toxic cleanout the first time around.

There are often pounds of undigested crap in our systems. We are not perfect eating machines in a perfect food world. Mayo is wrong on this one.

As a weight loss tool, it's wrong, and I hope it doesn't become quick fix fad. Probably wont, too hard.
When I started the thread, I wasn't saying it was a weight loss tool per se. What I was asking was for someone who was beginning to improve their diet did it make sense as an attempt to clean out old gunk before starting a different system (which might have been geared to weight loss/eating healthier).
Old 6th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
It's the same **** that comes out when you take a dump.

Biggest problem is that colon cleansing also removes the needed bacteria that is the last step in the digestive process.

Drink water...eat fiber...done.
Sorry, but it's not that simple. IF (and that's a huge if) people only ate natural, unprocessed foods, I'd agree with you 100%. The body is a very efficient system that doesn't need outside help, but ONLY if it remains in balance with nature.

Many people's modern diet, which consists of all manner of substances that were never intended to be ingested, such as refined sugars, HFCS, MSG, pesticides, hormones, trans fats, mercury and other chemically altered or synthesized substances, causes the body to break down, and can cause impairments in the digestive process, and can leave buildups that are not readily excreted on their own by the body.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
When I started the thread, I wasn't saying it was a weight loss tool per se. What I was asking was for someone who was beginning to improve their diet did it make sense as an attempt to clean out old gunk before starting a different system (which might have been geared to weight loss/eating healthier).
Yes, I'd say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
It's the same **** that comes out when you take a dump.

Biggest problem is that colon cleansing also removes the needed bacteria that is the last step in the digestive process.

Drink water...eat fiber...done.
Not so ... there is a crust on the colon walls that blocks digestion. All the fiber in the world wont address that. And as a purge, much like a fast (which is more dangerous but more common) it works.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search