The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NOW READ THIS Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 23rd August 2007
  #61
jje
Gear Nut
 
jje's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
Or it could give you a perspective on your old life and how real it actually is for some people.
True...and also the fact that the songs you made about it, with the intent of exposing the life for the purpose of changing things, haven't done anything except exacerbate the situation and that there must be a better way of changing problems and uplifting the poverty and crime stricken.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #62
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje View Post
And as a parent I can tell you that they do unless they don't care about their children.

*edit* and I named those people as a few examples (I'm sure there are more) of older heads who are in (or moving into) positions of power to decide what comes out and what doesn't. Growing up poor, busting your ass to make something for yourself and your family so you can move into that nice neighborhood away from crime, drugs, and the street life only to hear your son sing about dealing and what ho is gonna give him dome tonight can make you realize that there's one more thing you forgot to eliminate.
Well, first off, I have three kids (by the same woman - imagine that) so you ain't tellin' me nothin' there Mr. Parent.

Showbiz is a different world bro. Believe it or not, most artists and celebrities are busting their asses for the better part of a 24 hour day - every single day. In order to be an effective parent, you have to become selfless...Which is pretty much impossible to do if your whole life is ME ME ME. The other thing that you should consider is that we're talking about rock and roll here...Do you remember what that means? Rebellion. These people are not saints. Get over it.

Sorry OT.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #63
Lives for gear
 
t.dizzle's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje View Post
there must be a better way of changing problems and uplifting the poverty and crime stricken.
Not with music - unless everybody starts rappin about kicking out all the illegals and abandon the war on drugs!

Old 23rd August 2007
  #64
Here for the gear
 

Discussions about ringtones killing record sales and discussions of "the next big thing" aside, I think the earlier posts related to a lack of diversity in Hip Hop are on to something.

I wonder if works characterized by the timelessness and acknowledged greatness of TCQ's Maruaders and Low End Theory would be hot right now if they were recently released. I know that they should be but ultimately I'm not so sure, given the current narrow, myopic subject matter of Hip Hop currently in mass media outlets, that a group committed to such an aesthetic would even necessarily get a record deal. Where does one have an opportunity to hear, commercially, something other than what's heard on MTV, VH1, BET, and local radio? Not many places.

And it ain't just Hip Hop. Bottom line is there's a lack of innovation, creativity, and diversity in film (to use a Don Cheadle quote, how many installments of "The Borne Redundancy" franchise must we bear?), in consumer markets (every major city has the same malls with the same corporate run stores, the same restaurants, the same mass, crass, profile), and even in new home construction (same color, same architecure, staid, bland bedroom communities). Straight bullsh*t.

Of course, if those in any of these industries don't change and bring some better sh*t the market will sooner or later "correct" them right outta business–one trick hip hop and boring R&B included.

In the meantime, lemme get back to listenin' to killa sh*t like Oddisee's Foot in the Door. Bangin'! Or better still, tryinna make my own.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #65
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnmedia View Post
Discussions about ringtones killing record sales and discussions of "the next big thing" aside, I think the earlier posts related to a lack of diversity in Hip Hop are on to something.

I wonder if works characterized by the timelessness and acknowledged greatness of TCQ's Maruaders and Low End Theory would be hot right now if they were recently released. I know that they should be but ultimately I'm not so sure, given the current narrow, myopic subject matter of Hip Hop currently in mass media outlets, that a group committed to such an aesthetic would even necessarily get a record deal. Where does one have an opportunity to hear, commercially, something other than what's heard on MTV, VH1, BET, and local radio? Not many places.

And it ain't just Hip Hop. Bottom line is there's a lack of innovation, creativity, and diversity in film (to use a Don Cheadle quote, how many installments of "The Borne Redundancy" franchise must we bear?), in consumer markets (every major city has the same malls with the same corporate run stores, the same restaurants, the same mass, crass, profile), and even in new home construction (same color, same architecure, staid, bland bedroom communities). Straight bullsh*t.

Of course, if those in any of these industries don't change and bring some better sh*t the market will sooner or later "correct" them right outta business–one trick hip hop and boring R&B included.

In the meantime, lemme get back to listenin' to killa sh*t like Oddisee's Foot in the Door. Bangin'! Or better still, tryinna make my own.
True, I think it's to a large degree a market correction (Though I'm probably the only person around who didn't care for that tribe album.)

I think the solution is to reach your audience. It hasn't really changed when coming at it from the perspective of someone from the South.

It's a guerilla marketing case like any other business. When you go up against a much larger competitor who has the market locked up (major labels), you have to do something that sells to your niche and protect and defend that small market.

It's becoming more grass roots. You have to reach the consumer however you can. Much like a political campaign, you have to do it one block/one neighborhood at a time, or online (One group of people with common traits at a time.

It's small potatoes but at least it's potatoes.
Something beats Nothin, and Oatmeal beats no meal.

Gig, build a mailing list (emailing list) etc.. It's still the same business. Prove that someone is willing to spend for what you have to offer.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Alex Niedt's Avatar
 

All I know is I HOPE the ringtone industry dies, b/c those f**kers are GREEDY. $1.50 for a ringtone??? You must be kidding me. I thought they were overpriced at $.49.

Either buy a 5-second clip of a song for $1.50 or an entire song (albeit in ****e 128 kbps quality) on iTunes for $.99? Ridiculous.

I won't be happy until ringtones are $.10 a piece and you can get 320 kbps MP3s on iTunes for the SAME price of $.99, not this jacked up $1.49 or $1.99 one of the labels is doing for 192 kbps files.

This entire subject is dfegadfuuck
Old 23rd August 2007
  #67
Gear Guru
 
rickrock305's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
but i do think that a very healthy amount of very good music starts on indie labels, and at some point, a major steps in to put marketing muscle behind it. Consistently a majority of the Grammy Best new artists are from "indie" (but not really indie) labels, which at least goes to prove the point that the majors miss the creative boat far too often and rely on indie label partnerships for content.



this is a good point, and i think whats really being missed is the diversity. indie labels provide that diversity.


this from the article made the most sense to me

But most insiders believe that a debate about profanity and misogyny obscures a much deeper problem: an artistic vacuum at major labels. "The music community has to get more creative," says Steve Rifkin, CEO of SRC Records. "We have to start betting on the new and the up-and-coming for us to grow as an industry. Right now, I don't think anyone is taking chances. It's a big-business culture."


and also what Q tip said about a label really mentoring artists, the old school A&R style. A&R is a joke now. Its more about the quick hit instead of the career of albums. Tryin to get rich quick i guess, i don't know.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #68
Lives for gear
 
RichTone's Avatar
 

Remember when most A&R's were musicians, composers, producers?
Old 23rd August 2007
  #69
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
True, I think it's to a large degree a market correction (Though I'm probably the only person around who didn't care for that tribe album.)

I think the solution is to reach your audience. It hasn't really changed when coming at it from the perspective of someone from the South.

It's a guerilla marketing case like any other business. When you go up against a much larger competitor who has the market locked up (major labels), you have to do something that sells to your niche and protect and defend that small market.

It's becoming more grass roots. You have to reach the consumer however you can. Much like a political campaign, you have to do it one block/one neighborhood at a time, or online (One group of people with common traits at a time.

It's small potatoes but at least it's potatoes.
Something beats Nothin, and Oatmeal beats no meal.

Gig, build a mailing list (emailing list) etc.. It's still the same business. Prove that someone is willing to spend for what you have to offer.
True. True. Another explanationfor this phenomena--Chris Anderson's concept of The Long Tail. A very compelling explanation. For those that ain't up on it, look here: http://www.thelongtail.com/about.html
Old 23rd August 2007
  #70
Gear Maniac
 

Heres what i said earlier, what I find to be musically lacking, others wont or dont care, lets not forget all of us here are engineers, producers, rappers, buisness owners etc with mouths to feed and want what these "lames" in the game have at the tender age of 15 just because they made up a new dance. The MAJORITY of people who listen to music aren't making it, produce it or count on it as income so they dont mull over its authenticity, its lack of lyrical content, its corny gimmick, not many put thought into it like we do at these boards...feel me? Trust me, I feel I can make **** ten times hotter with some substance better than half of the signed top 20. but thats me. and probably you too. and thats why this topic is constantly brought up here...fustration
Old 23rd August 2007
  #71
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Heres what i said earlier, what I find to be musically lacking, others wont or dont care, lets not forget all of us here are engineers, producers, rappers, buisness owners etc with mouths to feed and want what these "lames" in the game have at the tender age of 15 just because they made up a new dance. The MAJORITY of people who listen to music aren't making it, produce it or count on it as income so they dont mull over its authenticity, its lack of lyrical content, its corny gimmick, not many put thought into it like we do at these boards...feel me? Trust me, I feel I can make **** ten times hotter with some substance better than half of the signed top 20. but thats me. and probably you too. and thats why this topic is constantly brought up here...fustration
I find that the biggest problem with most of us is that we always view whats going on out there on the scene, as an "Oh I can do 10 times better than that" type thing. If so, then put your isht out there and make it rain.

It can very well be true that you can do 10 times better than some of the things we are hearing right now, but the reality of it is, that you are not in the drivers seat for doing so on a major scale at the moment, and until you are, you have no choice but to keep hating on what other hard working ppl are doing to come up off the block.

Its all this hating that keeps ppl down when they trying to come up in the game.
Negativity will do nothing but hold you back in this world. You might call some of the stupid profanity, and stupid degrading song ideals out there a negative thing, but business wise, its a positive thing, because its giving those ppl a piece of the market share to hold on to, and make dough from. You cant be mad at that in a business sense, because its about making that money, so you can continue doing what you are doing, without having to carry 2-3 jobs at the same time. You can be mad in a more conscience sense, but how much ppl really use their conscience anymore these days anyway. The hating is mostly about jealousy.

Instead of some of us wasting time and habouring negative vibes from all the hating, we should be concentrating on doing what we can do to show the industry why we are relevant to the game. Once everybody else recognizes just how relevant and important you are to the industry, you will get your shot. Nobody really cares how good you claim yourself to be until you can consistently prove that fact.

And last but not least, some of you dudes need to get out into the world more, and mingle around and do some damn networking. Thats how some of these other dudes that you are claiming to be better than got their chance to shine.
They might be making **** music, but their music was probably a lot better than the majority of other artists that those A&Rs happen to come across.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #72
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I find that the biggest problem with most of us is that we always view whats going on out there on the scene, as an "Oh I can do 10 times better than that" type thing. If so, then put your isht out there and make it rain.

It can very well be true that you can do 10 times better than some of the things we are hearing right now, but the reality of it is, that you are not in the drivers seat for doing so on a major scale at the moment, and until you are, you have no choice but to keep hating on what other hard working ppl are doing to come up off the block.

Its all this hating that keeps ppl down when they trying to come up in the game.
Negativity will do nothing but hold you back in this world. You might call some of the stupid profanity, and stupid degrading song ideals out there a negative thing, but business wise, its a positive thing, because its giving those ppl a piece of the market share to hold on to, and make dough from. You cant be mad at that in a business sense, because its about making that money, so you can continue doing what you are doing, without having to carry 2-3 jobs at the same time. You can be mad in a more conscience sense, but how much ppl really use their conscience anymore these days anyway. The hating is mostly about jealousy.

Instead of some of us wasting time and habouring negative vibes from all the hating, we should be concentrating on doing what we can do to show the industry why we are relevant to the game. Once everybody else recognizes just how relevant and important you are to the industry, you will get your shot. Nobody really cares how good you claim yourself to be until you can consistently prove that fact.

And last but not least, some of you dudes need to get out into the world more, and mingle around and do some damn networking. Thats how some of these other dudes that you are claiming to be better than got their chance to shine.
They might be making **** music, but their music was probably a lot better than the majority of other artists that those A&Rs happen to come across.

just made my point for me.


BUT its not about negative feelings or jealousy, its about believing in yourself and passion, if I sat and said i think i might have something kinda tight, that vibe is gonna be negative, and lets be honest, negativity and bad vibes get picked up by listeners real quick, i feel you have to be a somewhat arrogant person to take the **** your going to have to deal with in this industry, most people i know give up right away because they cant take criticism, you have to be a hardass, not an asshole, but a hardass, and I dont take ANYTHING away from other artists, I just have to believe that I can do that if I had the opportunity, and lets face it, putting my work on gearslutz might be a good thing you never know whos listening, but come on, I dont think posting my work is the last piece of the puzzle for me, if you like hit up my myspace though
Old 23rd August 2007
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
I think you guys are missing a point of the article to an extent. It didnt say all music sales were down (music industry posted record revenues in 2005 and again in 2006) it said specifically hip hop music is losing market share to other forms of music.

So when the record companies cant force the same rehashed hip hop down kids throats, they try to shove something else down.

I was privy to a really interesting conversation one night recently with a super producer who shall remain namelss and a bunch of the other guys in the room. He asked "What debut artists in the last two years have released an album that went gold or was even important?"

key word being "debut", the artists first national release of any kind.

The small number of debut artists who have achieved this in the last 2 or even 3 years to me says alot about hip hop and its lack of keeping a cutting edge. It also says alot to me about what the chances of a new artist becoming successful are in hip hop.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #74
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I think you guys are missing a point of the article to an extent. It didnt say all music sales were down (music industry posted record revenues in 2005 and again in 2006) it said specifically hip hop music is losing market share to other forms of music.

So when the record companies cant force the same rehashed hip hop down kids throats, they try to shove something else down.

I was privy to a really interesting conversation one night recently with a super producer who shall remain namelss and a bunch of the other guys in the room. He asked "What debut artists in the last two years have released an album that went gold or was even important?"

key word being "debut", the artists first national release of any kind.

The small number of debut artists who have achieved this in the last 2 or even 3 years to me says alot about hip hop and its lack of keeping a cutting edge. It also says alot to me about what the chances of a new artist becoming successful are in hip hop.

Hip Hop is also the only genre mostly affected by the 100's of thousands of illegal download sites and forums like boxden, sohh, etc and the torrents. There's no country music or rock music on them forums & sites. It's all hip hop music- singles, albums, etc. Hip hop's main demographic is 12-25. That age group is straight computer literate and dependent. School/college aged. Why buy retail when u got it for free 2 weeks before release date on the net. Soon as those albums hit pressing plant they hit the net. Even if u dont know the sites, a google search & bam! That is the reason an artist who once sold gold + is pullin in at 300k.

Also itunes is #3 music retailer and it's sales are not being counting within the soundscan #'s.

ringtones sales r solid. u sell 1.5 mill ringtones, thats $750k (give a take a few small admin costs) in the writers pockets. No recoupment, no overhead costs. Thats more money than u would see if that album went platinum after they chop u up.

Also, the people have to be into the artists personally to sustain. People were persoanlly into the styles and lives of snoop, eminem, tupac, BIG, mobb deep, wutang, jay-z, even ja rule for a time. The one hit comes and goes but if the people have no interest in and dont wanna be like the artist or dont know anything about them it's hard to sell an album. ie: when 50 cent came years ago- folks were into him personally. People still dress like him. The white bandana under the fitted, etc. Foxy Brown looks like a clown nowadays but she's in the press every week it seems with some dumb sh*t. But people are following her idiotic behavior and if she drops a half decent album with 2 radio hits she's back in the game heavy. Lil Kim, same difference.

My opinion. The internet has killed the hip hop game. Illegal downloads and oversaturation of whack artists who would never be heard otherwise. U used to have to be truly hot to get noticed on the street and be heard. Folks used to listen to the radio mixshows heavy becuase thats where u heard the new stuff. Now radio mixshows sound "whack" to people because them folks already downloaded all the hot new stuff and they feel they r ahead of the mixshow dj. Also, most of the internet folks never go anywhere to feel the reaction of certain records by crowds. U have a far more different appreciation for certain records when u got them ladies rubbin up on u & u got a few drinks in u.heh
Old 23rd August 2007
  #75
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I think you guys are missing a point of the article to an extent. It didnt say all music sales were down (music industry posted record revenues in 2005 and again in 2006) it said specifically hip hop music is losing market share to other forms of music.

So when the record companies cant force the same rehashed hip hop down kids throats, they try to shove something else down.

I was privy to a really interesting conversation one night recently with a super producer who shall remain namelss and a bunch of the other guys in the room. He asked "What debut artists in the last two years have released an album that went gold or was even important?"

key word being "debut", the artists first national release of any kind.

The small number of debut artists who have achieved this in the last 2 or even 3 years to me says alot about hip hop and its lack of keeping a cutting edge. It also says alot to me about what the chances of a new artist becoming successful are in hip hop.
The sad part is even in a time of declining sales (for whatever the reason), I can't name a debut artist that deserved to go gold or be important.

That's scary.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by no ssl yet View Post
The sad part is even in a time of declining sales (for whatever the reason), I can't name a debut artist that deserved to go gold or be important.

That's scary.
yeah i wouldnt exactly call Yung Joc or Young Dro or young fill in name here important. I wish i had credits on their albums, and i'd work with them in a heartbeat, but that just makes me a slut.

the only artist anyone in the room could come up with was Lupe Fiasco.
Old 23rd August 2007
  #77
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
yeah i wouldnt exactly call Yung Joc or Young Dro or young fill in name here important. I wish i had credits on their albums, and i'd work with them in a heartbeat, but that just makes me a slut.

the only artist anyone in the room could come up with was Lupe Fiasco.
It's funny I was gonna edit my post to say that Lupe was the only new cat I could think of.thumbsup
Old 23rd August 2007
  #78
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
yeah i wouldnt exactly call Yung Joc or Young Dro or young fill in name here important. I wish i had credits on their albums, and i'd work with them in a heartbeat, but that just makes me a slut.

the only artist anyone in the room could come up with was Lupe Fiasco.
I know at least three aspiring producers who could easily compete with the "producer elite", a dozen who could easily get (singles) placements all the time, but I most confess I can't think of a SINGLE MC (no matter if un-/signed) that I would like to work with.

that sums the whole situation up, pretty much.
Old 24th August 2007
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
I know at least three aspiring producers who could easily compete with the "producer elite", a dozen who could easily get (singles) placements all the time, but I most confess I can't think of a SINGLE MC (no matter if un-/signed) that I would like to work with.

that sums the whole situation up, pretty much.

I think people who havent worked with the producer elite take their abilities a little for granted.

As far as MC's, i'd work with any of them, because i feel strongly enough in my producer skills that if we all get in the same room together, that good things will come from it. Having said that, i'm not all that interested in producing songs about guns, rims, bitches, etc... but i will gladly take the checks, do my job well, and live to eat another day
Old 24th August 2007
  #80
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I think people who havent worked with the producer elite take their abilities a little for granted.

As far as MC's, i'd work with any of them, because i feel strongly enough in my producer skills that if we all get in the same room together, that good things will come from it. Having said that, i'm not all that interested in producing songs about guns, rims, bitches, etc... but i will gladly take the checks, do my job well, and live to eat another day
You know I'd take a song about guns,rims, and bitches if it were done in a way where I felt it made me hear/see something I hadn't seen about them.
Man I don't think there's alot of art in rap anymore. For me rap used to be an artform where someone could give you a line about the crack in the concrete that separates your front door from your stoop. What I mean is it would take something you took for granted daily, and make you see it. (If I made that make any sense).

I don't get that at all anymore. And as far as the producers I guess I'm not that big on the "I sell beats" dudes that are hot today. Not because they arent talented, but for me I don't look at the song/music separately. To me there is only what you hear when you press play. You hit the play button and hear the entire production.

I don't get that anymore. (For instance Right now I'm listening to If you Want me to stay by Sly and the Family stone. It's a complete picture. I don't get that from many things today. I'm pretty good with words but I can't find the ones to express what I'm trying to convey here. It's just something missing and I think it comes from the fact that there are not many rappers that I deem worthy of the title rapper.) To me the record comes from the rapper first. Rap has always been a minimalist music. It loops after 4-8 bars and the music constantly repeats. What used to keep me into it was what was over the top of the loop being worth listening to. I don't get that from many today.
Old 24th August 2007
  #81
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post

back to topic:
you guys should watch Byron Hurt's "Beyond Beats and Rhymes" documentary.
it is a "must watch" for all those who play or want to play with the "Big Boys". thumbsup

I haven't read the entire post to see if it's already been posted but found it on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tvVk8jxi0
Old 24th August 2007
  #82
Lives for gear
 
3rdeyeKnight's Avatar
 

It's all up to the hobbits now....

There are some extremely great points made in this thread. I'm pretty sure that most of the good ones were made by guys 25 and over. The one thing that I must put out there as a reminder is that Hip-Hop/Rap is and always will be "YOUTH DRIVEN". The solutions come from the mind of the trend-setting teenager with nothing to lose and everything to prove to the world. A lot of things have changed over the years, but this has always remained the same no matter how you try to cut it.

How well you keep up with the trends and how much you actually give a damn about them could be what makes or break you from a producer's/business perspective.

Declining record-sales and wide-spread boot-legging has nothing to do with a dope-rhyme and an ill-beat. I can see how a business oriented person could connect the two but there's some talented 15 year old kid from Australia that could prove us wrong. The statistics do began to lie at a certain point. This is why it's virtually impossible to pin-point where the next movement is going to spring from. It's anyones guess from an analytical perspective. But that young kid from New Orleans that had to relocate with his/her family and start a new life somewhere else knows.
Old 24th August 2007
  #83
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdigital View Post
Why will you need to "buy" a ringtone when most phones now & all phones in the very near future will play mp3's. You can just drag what you want from your PC library and set what you want as a ringtone. For example, I have the Blackberry 8830 w/ a 4gb memory card. Got a few good videos, favorite songs and some of our best stuff from the studio... The ringtone industry will be dead very, very soon. Its overpriced anyway---all these subscription rates---WTF???
My iphone can play mp3's as ringtones using a free hack. The writing is on the wall.

D
Old 24th August 2007
  #84
no ssl yet
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdeyeKnight View Post
There are some extremely great points made in this thread. I'm pretty sure that most of the good ones were made by guys 25 and over. The one thing that I must put out there as a reminder is that Hip-Hop/Rap is and always will be "YOUTH DRIVEN". The solutions come from the mind of the trend-setting teenager with nothing to lose and everything to prove to the world. A lot of things have changed over the years, but this has always remained the same no matter how you try to cut it.

How well you keep up with the trends and how much you actually give a damn about them could be what makes or break you from a producer's/business perspective.

Declining record-sales and wide-spread boot-legging has nothing to do with a dope-rhyme and an ill-beat. I can see how a business oriented person could connect the two but there's some talented 15 year old kid from Australia that could prove us wrong. The statistics do began to lie at a certain point. This is why it's virtually impossible to pin-point where the next movement is going to spring from. It's anyones guess from an analytical perspective. But that young kid from New Orleans that had to relocate with his/her family and start a new life somewhere else knows.
You know I don't understand why hip hop isn't marketed to ages 20-40. They have the buying power and they grew up on hip hop. It's not like when hip hop was a youth movement. I think labels miss the mark here. These are the ages that will demand better music, but would prefer to buy it than to waste the time/effort trying to get it for free. You catch a kid in highschool/undergrad 14-22, he's trying to get everything he can for free
Old 24th August 2007
  #85
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
just made my point for me.


BUT its not about negative feelings or jealousy, its about believing in yourself and passion, if I sat and said i think i might have something kinda tight, that vibe is gonna be negative, and lets be honest, negativity and bad vibes get picked up by listeners real quick, i feel you have to be a somewhat arrogant person to take the **** your going to have to deal with in this industry, most people i know give up right away because they cant take criticism, you have to be a hardass, not an asshole, but a hardass, and I dont take ANYTHING away from other artists, I just have to believe that I can do that if I had the opportunity, and lets face it, putting my work on gearslutz might be a good thing you never know whos listening, but come on, I dont think posting my work is the last piece of the puzzle for me, if you like hit up my myspace though
Its not even about being arrogant either. Arrogant ppl dont last long in this business, its the most assertive ones that make it the furthest, because they dont even have to convince anyone that their product is the ****, their product just happens to speak for itself.

Think of it like this..... lets use men and women as an example.
Women like bad boys, why? because a bad boy has the type of attitude that says "I dont care what anybody thinks or has to say about me or what I do". Thats what we call assertiveness.
Women hate when a guy is cocky or arrogant, why? because subconsciencely it shows them that this guy is insecure, so he has to make other ppl look or feel like less so he can feel better about himself.
Women step all over guys who have no self-confidence, why? because these type of guys are afraid to go out and take what they want.

The music business is a lot like a women.

If you are too cocky and arrogant, ppl will be turned off from wanting to work with you. Some ppl think P.Diddy is one of the most cockiest mofos around, but the truth is that he works hard, and he is confident, so he is not afraid to show that off. Those who despise his success will take offense to it and see it as arrogance, but I see it as you worked hard and did your thing, celebrate that and be proud. Be Assertive, and prove your success without being a jerk about it, stay humble. Humble and arrogance dont work together. You cant be both, you gotta choose only one.

If you have no faith in what you are doing, and its written all over your face and in your work, than abviously no one is gonna invest anytime in you. Simple as that. Those who lack enough self-confidence will often try to aid that by acting arrogant in attempts to try and fool others. I can often see through those ppl like an open window.
Its a cover up that can very well work to find you a place at the top of this business, but if you take it too far, you can easily come crashing back down.

Assertive guys like LL Cool J, Jay-Z, Nas, Tupac, Biggie, P.Diddy, T.I., etc., These guys are well respect at the top, not just because they made their respected labels big dollars, but more for the character they had while doing it. You could just look into their eyes and feel respect for them....without even having them lay claim to anything, you would just think and feel that they are or were the real deal. Not all of these guys started out as assertive as they are, but assertiveness is something that can be grown into. It is also something that is often encouraged by your family and those who are constantly around you. Loners who dont get out at all, are hardly ever assertive enough ppl. They dont get any practice at being assertive, because they are constantly in their own comfort zone.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but thats basically how I go about my career, and my life. Im a very assertive person, and I get what ever I set my mind on wanting, but I am very humble about it at the same time. I also dont go around claiming to be the ****. Those who are around me may choose to give me that title.
Oddly enough, sometimes when Im out without even mentioning it, ppl will assume Im doing something on the bigger scale of life. Its probably written all over my face, in my attitude, and in the way that I carry myself.

Apex, you are wrong when you say that you feel you have to be arrogant, but you are right when you say that you have to be a hardass.
Thats what being assertive is all about. Going out there and turning your thoughts and dreams into a reality, without harming or screwing over other ppl in the process.
It takes a man with great skills to make it to the top...... but it takes a great man who has great skills to make it to the top and stay there.

Why do you think most of the most successful ppl in life, are ppl who came from having little to nothing? Its easy to feel confident when you already have everything you need and could ever want.
Having to learn how to be strong and develope REAL confidence by coming up from the struggle is what builds great character, the same character that is required to become one of the best, and maybe even a legend at what ever it is you choose to do.
Old 24th August 2007
  #86
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
I think you guys are missing a point of the article to an extent. It didnt say all music sales were down (music industry posted record revenues in 2005 and again in 2006) it said specifically hip hop music is losing market share to other forms of music.

So when the record companies cant force the same rehashed hip hop down kids throats, they try to shove something else down.

I was privy to a really interesting conversation one night recently with a super producer who shall remain namelss and a bunch of the other guys in the room. He asked "What debut artists in the last two years have released an album that went gold or was even important?"

key word being "debut", the artists first national release of any kind.

The small number of debut artists who have achieved this in the last 2 or even 3 years to me says alot about hip hop and its lack of keeping a cutting edge. It also says alot to me about what the chances of a new artist becoming successful are in hip hop.
It has nuttin, and I mean nuttin to do with the genre of hip hop itself. It has to do with the dudes behind the wheel in the driver's seat. Current hip hop producers are as lazy as **** these days in comparison to 5 or 10 years ago. Not to mention that you also have every body who can afford a mic, MPC, and MBox trying to hop into the music game from home, which means that a lot of the newer guys coming up havent even experienced the chance of learning their craft from those who have already been there and done that. Hip Hop has lost a lot of key fundamentals that have to be restored to strengthen the game.

IMO, the newest, best artists that we have in the game that I can see being around for the long stay, I cant even consider new anymore. Thats how long its been since we have had any new guy come out and be that large.

What you are saying about Hip Hop's decline is the equivalent to blaming it on the car for crashing when you were clearly the one who was drunk, high, and not keeping your eyes on the road.
Old 24th August 2007
  #87
Lives for gear
 
nukmusic's Avatar
 

mannnn rap aint changed... Its just making move cash..

YouTube - Devin The Dude Breakin

Old 24th August 2007
  #88
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
I guess the main reason i posted this article, and I am so glad its sparked such a good debate, was to get people to keep thinking beyond the curve. Whats next? Who's next? Where's next? nobody really knows, and it doesnt seem like the record companies have figured it out much either.

Having said that, the bigger picture to me is how corporatization of America has killed a creative industry. I still think great records are made all the time, great songs are written all the time, but when i turn on Z100 and Hot 97 and hear the same 15 songs once every 2 hours, thats a corporate head in an office somewhere making that decision to have such a narrow playlist. When MTV doesnt play videos anymore, thats a corporate decision. When concert tix are $$$$$ thats a corporate decision. And all of those things are driven by Advertising dollars, not musical creativity.

So, i'm gonna let the record companies off the hook just a little and say they've been forced into a situation where playlists are so narrow, radio/video formats are so narrow, and touring is so expensive. And the people at these labels are being shuffled like a deck of cards. So basically every act an A&R person signs, they are putting their own ass on the line often with that signing. So maybe they sign more generic sure hit single artists than slow build long term artists. If an A&R person at a big label wants to sign an artist, that artist MUST have a song or 3 that the label thinks they can get on to those very narrow radio and video playlists. The internet is so vast and unfocused that its not going to create a million seller on its own any time in the near future, without radio or video support, unless its a novelty or a complete fluke. Radio / Video reaches millions instantly. Therefore labels take fewer risks, and the music devloves into more generic forcefed music.

Not saying any of it is right, only trying to give some perspective that maybe some of you dont know much about.

PS. i loved what "No SSL Yet" said about rap as an artform. I think the best rap i've heard lately was Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park on the song "Hands Held High". It aint hip hop even though he's heavily hip hop influenced, but the rhyme stopped me in my tracks, made me really think and feel something. Thats a rush sorely lacking in music, i think we'd all agree.
Old 24th August 2007
  #89
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
I guess the main reason i posted this article, and I am so glad its sparked such a good debate, was to get people to keep thinking beyond the curve. Whats next? Who's next? Where's next? nobody really knows, and it doesnt seem like the record companies have figured it out much either.

Having said that, the bigger picture to me is how corporatization of America has killed a creative industry. I still think great records are made all the time, great songs are written all the time, but when i turn on Z100 and Hot 97 and hear the same 15 songs once every 2 hours, thats a corporate head in an office somewhere making that decision to have such a narrow playlist. When MTV doesnt play videos anymore, thats a corporate decision. When concert tix are $$$$$ thats a corporate decision. And all of those things are driven by Advertising dollars, not musical creativity.

So, i'm gonna let the record companies off the hook just a little and say they've been forced into a situation where playlists are so narrow, radio/video formats are so narrow, and touring is so expensive. And the people at these labels are being shuffled like a deck of cards. So basically every act an A&R person signs, they are putting their own ass on the line often with that signing. So maybe they sign more generic sure hit single artists than slow build long term artists. If an A&R person at a big label wants to sign an artist, that artist MUST have a song or 3 that the label thinks they can get on to those very narrow radio and video playlists. The internet is so vast and unfocused that its not going to create a million seller on its own any time in the near future, without radio or video support, unless its a novelty or a complete fluke. Radio / Video reaches millions instantly. Therefore labels take fewer risks, and the music devloves into more generic forcefed music.

Not saying any of it is right, only trying to give some perspective that maybe some of you dont know much about.

PS. i loved what "No SSL Yet" said about rap as an artform. I think the best rap i've heard lately was Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park on the song "Hands Held High". It aint hip hop even though he's heavily hip hop influenced, but the rhyme stopped me in my tracks, made me really think and feel something. Thats a rush sorely lacking in music, i think we'd all agree.
Old 24th August 2007
  #90
Lives for gear
 
3rdeyeKnight's Avatar
 

I know this was mentioned already, but I think Lupe Fiasco was the closest Hip-Hop has gotten so far to a healthy turning point for mainstream rap-music. And by that, I mean he was something that everybody could agree on. From the underground purists, to corporate thugs and everything between. The irony is that being a little of everything to everybody was also the problem in my opinion.

His artistic direction went in several directions at once, from representing the "1st and 15th"(the time's of the month that a hustler makes his most money),coming from an Islamic back-ground, he practiced martial-arts, rode skate-boards, endorsed Reeboks with a debut album titled "Food and Liquor". I just think artistically, he spreaded himself a little too thin and the message(if there ever was one) got lost. But I personally liked him and I seriously think the brainchild behind him(Pharell? Kanye?) was on to something.

I think Lady Sovereign was a good look. She appealed to the Missy Elliot/Fergie crowd. I think she would've gotten more mileage here in the States if they disguised her as being part of a small rap-group or possibly rap-duo and then introducing her as a solo act. Overall, I still think it was a step in the right direction and I would explore avenues similar to these.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
stickstome2 / So much gear, so little time
0
songman / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
0
C.Lambrechts / High end
0
lasso / So much gear, so little time
29
not_so_new / High end
2

Forum Jump
Forum Jump