The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tax for Recording/Mixing
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Tax for Recording/Mixing

I'm sorry if this has been asked but all the searches I made here brought back results for shipping and tax, tax on reverb...etc.

I've just recently started my own studio and want to do everything by the books. I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction. I can read the information myself, but I don't know where to start.

I'm trying to find out how I should go about paying taxes so that I don't end up owing money or getting in trouble with the IRS. I know that every state probably has their own laws about things and I'm located in NJ, but if anyone has any websites that have good advice or information on taxes and related legality, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1 week ago
As far as federal taxes, you'd report your self employment income on Schedule C. From there, you'd file a normal form 1040, which will include that self employment income in addition to any other income. That is the simplest way, and assumes that you haven't incorporated your studio business. If you incorporate, it gets a little more involved.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump