The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is gimmick/social media more important than skills to make a living from this?
Old 1 week ago
Is gimmick/social media more important than skills to make a living from this?

My conclusion is that most people making a living from music at least these days, its because basically they are famous from social media, they have some sort of gimmick/image going for them and so on.

I can't think of many artists making a good living that don't check the assorted boxes.

As far as being a producer making a good living, im not sure how people ascend until making a living from it.

A lot of people seem to have once again, social media exposure, youtube channels, they are salesmen basically. I really hate this part, I don't want to be ever in front of a camera.

Honestly this sucks. My biggest achievement was putting a record out back then, then I realized it's a pipedream. Im a perfectionist, I can spend a year or more into finishing an EP. The amount of content you need to put out so the assorted algorithm promotes your content isn't meant for music, only for mass produced garbage (gameplays, vlogs, or any other stuff that can be created in minutes, not music). Basically the income would be from doing live dj sets, or whatever you can, if you ever reach a level of fame where someone would want to pay you for it, then try to keep developing a fanbase with further records and continue doing live sets. However, the opportunity to start making paid dj/live sets it's now gone with covid, so the most import stream of income is basically gone.

I don't see how it's viable to make a career out of any of this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Get out of your comfortzone, get it done and push it to the limit.

You can do it!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear