The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dumbest thing you ever did in the studio
Old 23rd May 2020
Dumbest thing you ever did in the studio

Me: we were working with a guitarist whose single coil had a Baadd hum

so we got a braided copper wire connected it to the grt at jack point ...wrapped it around the gtr player's wrist and connected it to a cast iron sewer pipe

quietest single coil i ever heard but could have been a KILLER
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Second dumbest move by me (I only reveal the absolute dumbest move in well-known company):

Back in my assisting days, accidentally patching the multitrack machine output to the same track input. I've never heard -- or felt -- feedback like that. Coulda shaken the mains from their soffits if I hadn't pulled the patch immediately. If memory serves, I was the only one in the room at the time, fortunately.

Granted, more of an accidental dumb move rather than a, uh, "risky" move a la unconventional pickup grounding....but it certainly had its moment of drama, mercifully inconsequential.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Dumb

Accidently booked two sessions at the same time.

Both bands showed up almost together (a miracle for musicians).

Thought I was going to have a problem and need to piss one group off by rebooking their session.

But as it turned out these guys were good friends and ended up helping each other with ideas and such.

I was extremely lucky and as it turned out eventually they all became great clients.
Old 23rd May 2020
Fall in love.

Never again.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Guru

You besides opening a studio...?
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Updated the computer.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Sang into a mic.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Maniac

First thing that comes mind is actually at a live performance and not in the studio, but I think you’ll find it entertaining.

I was playing guitar and singing lead vocals at a church a few years ago and as we started the first song and I began to sing I noticed nothing coming through my in ears or the house. So I quickly tried to turn the mic on and sing again only to realize the batteries had died. So as we are riffing the intro for WAY too long I signal one of the vocalists and tell her to run the mic to the board and get new batteries in it. She does and while she is gone and I feel the awkward stares from everyone as we are still repeating the intro and, for some reason, I forgot that she had just run to get the batteries and then attempted to sing into an empty mic stand with no mic attached! Believe me I felt pretty dumb!
Old 23rd May 2020
Here for the gear

Over-compressed a Bass on the way in.
Old 23rd May 2020
Here for the gear

Told the producer that was drummer a 'w*****r' whilst he was rehearsing. I didnt notice that the bloody producer had sat there with the talkback switch held down. He glowered at me all session, and I thought I was going to get a kicking. But at the end of the session he just walked out looking rather sad.

Never did that again...:
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Addict
My studio has a single room, serving as both the live room and control room. The front wall has both the monitors and also the room mics.

I'm doing a recording a couple months ago with live drums. I nail the take, only to later realize I forgot to mute the monitors and can hear the click track thru the room mics. Since then, I double check that those monitors are muted before any new takes.
Old 25th May 2020
Charged per song instead of per hour (without according time limits).

Longest nightmare of my life.
Old 25th May 2020
- Charged per song instead of per hour (without according time limits) to a band with low budget.

-Mixed a couple of projects with unlimited revisions.

Longest nightmares of my life.
Old 25th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoFrugoni View Post
- Charged per song instead of per hour (without according time limits) to a band with low budget.

-Mixed a couple of projects with unlimited revisions.

Longest nightmares of my life.
OK... that is worse than falling in love in the studio.
Old 25th May 2020
Lives for gear

i once kicked a drunken idiot out of my control room...

...only to find out that he was supposed to be the producer of the album i started tracking a few hours before without him; too bad he was also the owner of the (very well known jazz) label!

said album didn't get released as you might have guessed and i didn't ever get to work for the label again...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 28th May 2020 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

I once crashed in the studio on a brand new couch they had just gotten on the first night of a 5-day mixing session. I couldn’t put my own shoes on the next morning, and had to wait till the next week to see a chiropractor.

I called the manager of a studio in the middle of a tracking session to complain that both of the Royer 121’s were broken because they weren’t passing signal on any preamp. Turns out they were 122’s...
Old 26th May 2020
One time I accidentally used the same input for both drum overheads in pro tools, so end up recorded the left on two channels and no right.

Fortunately I had a couple room mics and the one overhead ended up working as a mono.

I never said anything because the band loved the mix.
Old 26th May 2020
90% of the time after recording guitar I stand up on my headphone cable and rip the headphones off my head as I rise and then trip over the cable and crash into the amp in utter confusion about what just happened.

Oh, the cable!

Old 26th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
90% of the time after recording guitar I stand up on my headphone cable and rip the headphones off my head as I rise and then trip over the cable and crash into the amp in utter confusion about what just happened.

Oh, the cable!

That a normal day for me in the studio
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear
I was one of two second engineers (flunkies really) setting up the studio for a tracking session. SIR had delivered a Fender Twin. The other flunkie plugged in the amp, and then decided he needed to move it just a bit. He suddenly jumped back with a loud expletive. He said “Jesus! That amp shocked me!” I said, “It isn’t even turned on.” So, being the self-appointed flunkie investigator, I touched the amp and got the worst shock of my life. What was I thinking.. I simply repeated exactly what the other guy just did.
We unplugged the amp and called SIR to come swap out their killer Twin.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear
Recorded over a track we wanted to keep. From then on the record button became known as the history eraser button!.

Another good one was insisting the musician get his guitar in tune before we record. Nothing ever got recorded.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Spun plugin knobs on an eq under full belief that I was getting somewhere sonicly but it was disabled. - No, not me!
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Addict
Went to audio school and decided to be a drummer instead of an engineer or producer.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Was "volunteered" to take the "informal" (cell phone) band Studio pictures for their publicity. Virtually every picture taken with eyes closed and /or missed smiles.
With some fuzzy ones thrown in for good measure (hey it wasn't MY phone!)

Most of that Band are close friends and occasionally rib me about it. Never will hear the end of it.... "Gee I hope Chris sings this song with us, better than those pictures" "Guys remember those?"etc.
Chris
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

When i first stared doing remote recording i got hired to record a show for a jazz vocalists Cd release.
I was back stage with a multitrack split for my rig.
All was set up and recording well post sound check.
Start of show they decided to add a fiddle or something, another input and they switched the routing aound on stage. I somehow got it wrong at my end and amateurishly didnt monitor my recording of the show with input monitoring.
All looked well on the screen and sounded right pre AD converters.
End of the show i go to listen back and the lead vocal was a hi hat or something. I had double recorded something else in the LV track.
So i captured the show perfectly...... minus the lead vocal.
Didn’t charge for that one.
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
One time I accidentally used the same input for both drum overheads in pro tools, so end up recorded the left on two channels and no right.

Fortunately I had a couple room mics and the one overhead ended up working as a mono.

I never said anything because the band loved the mix.
Its amazing how few people notice things like that.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

Turned on the phantom on the VoxBox, all the while thinking „clever detent on the switch, so you don‘t inadvertently blow your...d‘OH!“
Twice...
Luckily, Quested tweeters are pretty affordable.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear

What's the difference between a Fiddle and a Violin?
You don't spill beer on a Violin!
Chris
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear
When you learned that the fiddle was a Stradivarius, it became a violin.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear