The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Native languege (Italian) or English for music/equipment/mixing youtube channel?
Old 19th April 2020
Native languege (Italian) or English for music/equipment/mixing youtube channel?

Hey guys, I'm Simone (Nyroh), I'm a musician, mixing professional and music lover. I'm in doubt on the direction that my channel should take between continuing making videos in English or going back to Italian.

I started making videos in Italian (5 years ago) but then felt the need to go for english because:
  • the channels that make content similar to mine are english
  • I hoped to become a big youtube channel (or better, a "famous" musician/mixing engineer)

Since then, I creaded MOSTLY english videos but many of them are italians; you can see in the image attached that the vast majority of the videos that worked out great are in fact Italian. Here's some general thoughts:
  • I have 2590 subscribers
  • 33,9% of my subscribers come from Italy
  • In the image below you can see my top youtube videos for vews, hours of views and mean watch time
  • The vast majority of my video whatches comes from non subscribed viewers
  • The video that got me more subscribers is a review of a product that got to 65'000 views in English but the videos that have most watch time and most likes are in Italian

And here's what made me think "I maybe should go back to Italian..."
  • Time: when creating videos in english I HAVE to create a list of things to say or worst, I write down everything I wanna say and so lose A LOT of time. Also, as soon as we all get back to work, it won't be possible for me to write down what to say and to record too every week
  • The English mask: using english makes me feel like I have a mask, and that the spontaneous me (funny, happy, positive but also (musically) cultured) gets lost
  • Inspiration: If I think of the next video that I should make in Italian, I could make a list of 50 videos BUT, as soon as I think "Ok, now let's record that in English", all the inspiration goes away. My mind just loses every idea and what could come out so easily in Italian, becomes difficult in English ._.
  • How "I sound" in the videos: consequence of the other two points up here, in every english video you can clearly see that I'm not that spontaneous...
  • Connection with subscribers: I don't feel too much connected with the subscribers from outside Italy. Close to every comment on my videos in english have been similar to "How do I do that?" "Great review, what do you think of this?" "Mine is not working like that, what do I do?" while close to all the videos in Italian, (the best ones...) have comments like "Wow you'r incredible!" "Love your content, you explained it really well!" "Had a lot of fun watching the video!" etc etc
  • General stuff: it's surely more difficult to become someone doing the videos I make, because there's already just too many channels and too many videos and (on the other side) in Italy there's not so many doing them as I do them

After this long read, what do you think? Would it be a bad idea to go back to Italian? Have you ever felt this way? Did you decide to go with yout native language?
Thank you guys so much in advance! (btw, here's the channel youtube.com/c/NyrohOfficial )
Attached Thumbnails
Native languege (Italian) or English for music/equipment/mixing youtube channel?-immagine.png  
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear