The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does post count on GS affect your judgement?
Old 16th April 2020
Does post count on GS affect your judgement?

Just curious if other people check the post count here to influence how you weigh people's opinion. I do it, which is funny since I've been her almost 10 years and have less than 100 posts. I will say that people that sound reasonable get credit regardless.

Sub topic: Do you hold people's high GS post count against them? I ponder this too. No offense to all the high posters. I'm grateful for the contributions many of you make, but also curious if other's have the same perturbations

Last edited by mookmoof; 16th April 2020 at 04:52 AM..
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

I definitely do trust people more if I recognize their username without knowing them at all. Haha
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Post count means nothing to me. I have learned over time who I tend to trust and who I tend to dismiss. When I first joined there were more people I tended to rely on but sadly many no longer participate. One nice surprise was seeing a recent post from Fletcher yesterday. He was one of the ones I read every post I could find - interesting stories and lots of trustable knowhow.

The thing about this form is that many provide advice and may not really be qualified to do so. I am not a pro so when I share advice I always state that so that the people reading my posts understand that my opinion may not merit the trust that they might assume if say my post supports something they are trying to acquire info about.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever look at post counts. I must because I know they exist but I certainly do not give them much thought.
Old 18th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookmoof View Post
Do you hold people's high GS post count against them?
It raises my eyebrows when I see someone with very, very few posts who posts something I find... 'questionable'...

Sometimes it takes times for new people to adjust to the social 'climate' in a new forum. I always find it a bit off-putting when someone who is completely new shows up and wants to share all his knowledge yet we know nothing about the person, and it's double weird when they say things that either aren't true or are just a bit 'odd'. Obviously they should be given the benefit of the doubt. It's just a bit like you have a circle of friends and someone all of a sudden walks into the room and wants to enlighten you. It's odd.

Having said that though other than that I really don't care. Doesn't matter if someone has 200 posts or 20,000. Either they communicate well and are nice or not. I definitely don't think someone is automatically right or wrong because they have a high count or vice versa.

It's mostly irrelevant.
Old 26th April 2020
Gear Addict

More or less what mattiasnyc said. I would like to think that it doesn't count, but well...
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear