The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why I hate Facebook
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear
Why I hate Facebook

Is anyone else amazed this crapass web site is so popular? First off, it's impossible to get rid of that "People you may know" BS. Clue to the FB morons: I KNOW WHO I KNOW. Anyone I want to be in touch with I already am. STOP shoving this BS with all these people I don't give a #### about in my face.

Second, the chat window. This tiny, cramped, can't even resize it or move it around window that's like something from the 90s. Seriously?

Third, those seriously lame ass smiley faces that also look like something from the 90s. You can't even add your own like you can in slack.

Need I go on?
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Need I go on?
Yes; I am not yet sure how you feel.
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear
I could, but then how would you learn?
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Need I go on?
You need be off.
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

I don't know. I mean I hate Facebook. So much I don't use it, haven't in quite a while and really never think about it.

Well, till right now.

So, thanks for your service in the Internet gassed trenches, where mustard is more than a topping for your dog, but less than encouragement for the mac and cheese.
Old 15th April 2020
Gear Maniac

I used to have it when I was in my teens, but it's like an online version popularity contest that is like a digital high school and a show off platform. I don't want to take part in that madness. I'm planning on working for myself in the future, and I now only see Egobook as a way to promote my business. No mugshots, baby pics, or pointless status updates.

Yeah well I'm the guy with a physical photo album to share with people who actually care about me, not with some random jackass from work three jobs ago via Facebook.

Call me for f*ck sake, or email me. TALK TO MY FACE.

Don't get me started on Instagram.
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
I used to have it when I was in my teens, but it's like an online version popularity contest that is like a digital high school and a show off platform. I don't want to take part in that madness. I'm planning on working for myself in the future, and I now only see Egobook as a way to promote my business. No mugshots, baby pics, or pointless status updates.

Yeah well I'm the guy with a physical photo album to share with people who actually care about me, not with some random jackass from work three jobs ago via Facebook.

Call me for f*ck sake, or email me. TALK TO MY FACE.

Don't get me started on Instagram.
Finally, an adult reply. Thank you.
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Finally, an adult reply. Thank you.
In a language kids could still understand. Thanks too
Old 15th April 2020
Lives for gear

In a previous life, I worked on the technical side in various parts of the global computer/IT industry.

At the time, once Facebook had appeared on the scene, most of the technical guys I knew wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Particularly anyone working in the data and computer security side of things. We all knew that the basic Facebook business model was "gather as much data as possible about as many people as possible and, in one way or another, flog it off to the highest bidders". Or, indeed, flog it off to anyone. Repeatedly.

Still, I finally gave in and signed up for Mr Zuckerberg's evil empire towards the end of 2014. And, being fair, it was useful for keeping in touch with far-flung family and friends. There was also some fun stuff on there sometimes from the folks I knew and I had some enjoyable chats about this, that and God knows what. And, as Liquidaudio said, it can be a useful marketing and promotional tool if you're running your own business.

But there was also so much utter crap on there. Fake news, deluded new-age bollocks, obvious scams and a slightly scary percentage of random people demonstrating that monumental stupidity, rather than just being an occasional embarrassing mistake, could actually be a way of life.

In the end, I bailed out about six months ago. Got rid of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, all the assorted social media things. And it's been great - worked wonders for my mental health and freed up a suprising (maybe even quite alarming) amount of time that was being lost to it all.

Ironically, the current situation we all find ourselves in has made me wonder about joining up again just for the ease of contacting family and friends. There's that business promotion aspect of it too. But if I do succumb and start again, it's going to be on a very different and more limited basis than before.
Old 16th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww View Post
We all knew that the basic Facebook business model was "gather as much data as possible about as many people as possible and, in one way or another, flog it off to the highest bidders". Or, indeed, flog it off to anyone. Repeatedly.
How do they make tons of $$ by knowing I like music, imported beer, and landscaping my own property? Do multinational corps pay for this kind of info?
Old 16th April 2020
I hate much about FB's management, have always assumed anything I posted on it could and would be somehow used for commercial purposes, if only through data abstraction, always assumed that without careful control of what I let into my personal FB ecosphere, I would be the target of data and political positioning collection -- but I joined early on, as I'd also joined earlier social networking sites like Mp3.com, Friendster, MySpace, since I was then actively working in web developing. At first, there was no one I knew past a few other early adopters; it was boring; I ignored it.

But as time went on and I would log in every month or three, I would notice more old friends from the 3DW, and then other, online friends would hit me with friendship requests, as well. At a certain point, I realized there were a number of people I kind of wanted to keep up with. I'd already battened down my hatches as much as possible (and subsequently have periodically reviewed for intrusive settings) and it's pretty much always been my practice to never put on the Internet stuff that would be a problem if the world found out about it (because, hey, stuff happens).

For me, it's been a useful tool. I've certainly often warned others about the privacy risks involved in things like FB games and questionnaires. But it's been useful for staying in touch with a number of folks I likely would not have stayed in touch with any other way...
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Maniac

It's indeed a great tool for talking to old friends and family. But just get their numbers or email and get the hell off that information sucking parasite?

I don't want to impose myself.

It's just that I have nothing to say that I think is important to mention. If I still had it it would be informative, I would post documentaries and probably some weird conspiracy theory videos, or some good music.

I'll show you where they hide the warheads, other than my dad who is pretty much a doomsday prepper (Covid-19 IS the apocalypse according to him), I would probably get zero likes. That's not enough dopamine. If you want dopamine, you need a sex change and take pretty pics and put them on Instagram, wait for that hit of likes and feel good about yourself.
Old 16th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
How do they make tons of $$ by knowing I like music, imported beer, and landscaping my own property? Do multinational corps pay for this kind of info?
Yep, they certainly do. Tons and tons of $$. Targeted advertising is big business. And not just corporations. Political parties and all manner of other organisations pay for this kind of info too. “Show my advert to people of such-and-such an age who live in this area and have bought product X in the last six months.” “Tell me how many people in this area have bought X, Y and Z, respond favourably to left-of-centre political posts/pages and like dogs.” You name it, there’s all kinds of potentially useful info there that someone will pay good money for.

And that’s before you even start looking at dodgy or even criminal use of the whole system (Cambridge Analytica, Facebook account/page hijacking for scam or malware purposes, etc.) Of course, you can’t lay the blame for that kind of thing entirely at Facebook’s door, but they can sometimes be a bit slow at shutting down that kind of activity. Partly because it’s a huge game of whack-a-mole, but there is an open question about whether they are sometimes lax because they’re still making money from some of it (particularly on the political lobbying/fake news front).

That’s why Facebook, Google and similar companies aren’t the biggest fans of privacy laws and regulations such as the EU’s GDPR. Potentially limits one of their profit centres. Pretty much their main profit centre in Facebook's case. At least Google get some direct revenue from things like Google Cloud so it’s not all about selling your data and search history.

It’s also why, if you’re going to be on Facebook, it makes sense to keep your account locked down (don’t allow anyone - or anything else, such as games or other apps - access to it) and to minimise the amount of real information you put on there. For example, Facebook had a date of birth for me, but it certainly wasn’t my real one and they had minimal info about my employment history, schooling, etc. No matter how much it bitched at me about “completing my profile” or "updating my profile" or whatever.

When Facebook first came on the scene, someone came up with a pretty good summary when they said something like “Facebook is free because you are the product they’re selling”.

Last edited by adrianww; 16th April 2020 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

When I first learned of FB I signed up so I could find my old high school drummer. It worked. I found him right away. I started connecting with people and got involved in some back and forth with new people I was meeting.

I soon realized that for the most part people were using it like the water cooler at work - getting together to whine. I was probably on it for a year max and then I cut the umbilical.

I can see how FB is a necessity if you own your own business or that it is convenient if you want to stay in touch with friends and family and share photos and things like that.

For me, it holds no interest and I'll never go back. I am not big into any social media and GS is the only forum I am a member of. I do not tweet and I do not text. I am forced to own a cell phone as it is a requirement for my job otherwise I would not have one.

There is usually good and bad with most things but for me, FB is just a toxic place. Everyone has opinions but most people do not understand that their opinions may not be all that important or interesting.

I will add that what I have seen of FB management - well, it does not impress me at all.

I am not surprised that it is popular - it is just an extension of the whole reality TV thing. People like to gawk, complain, rile people up and tell us what they had for breakfast. I find nothing of interest with any of these things so I do not participate.
Old 19th April 2020
Lives for gear

... and you don't need Facebook to be thoroughly spied upon, thanks to Facebook tracking everyone anyway.

I've used the browser extension Ghostery for many years and there's always Facebook beacons etc I have to block and my Facebook account was for two weeks back when you needed an EDU email address to join!

I'm sorry but I do think a bit less of companies who would do better to have a simple website and not something you have to be really careless with your data like Facebook. I don't care what their excuses are, they lead their customers to a very bad place and we've all been warned.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear