The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Has the home recording bubble burst?
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Has the home recording bubble burst?

Back in 1989 I bought a 4 track and thus began my home studio hobby. In the past 30 years I seen the hobby explode with multiple forums / websites. I have seen loads of professional gear hit the market for anyone to learn about and purchase.

Now, in 2020.. I wonder if the home recording market is dying. It seems that most forums are defunct now, Gearslutz excluded of course, although I am sure there has been a large decline in new users and content.

Is it because everyone went in (myself included) thinking they could achieve big label results in their bedroom? Only to find you are what you are, no matter how much money you spend on gear?
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

I don't think the home recording bubble has burst quite yet. The drive for setting up gear for avoidance of paying for studio time/pro staff centered around the aspirations of those of us musically inclined and others to capture the noise bubbling up inside ourselves without being obligated to produce something as a "product" is not over. For those who thought their endeavors were destined for air-play and name-fame, riches, etc. these exercises may have helped in many ways to prepare a band or individual for working with studio personnel. Because there is so much sound sludge being aired on radio and TV it is easy to see how anyone with little or no talent can become hooked on thinking they too can produce sludge that can compete with the multitudes who are bumping and grinding for the one-up in the industry. Most Pro musicians have immediate access to some form of instant recording gear to capture the "moment" lest they lose it, permanently, myself included. Pro studios can never replace the instant pozzitraction that the home gear market provides, just as Pro Studio recordings will always facilitate the high-end commercial aspects of the industry.
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

How long has home recording been an option? I solely hate that people confuse bedroom studio recordings w/professional i.e. tracked in a commercial studio, etc. output.
Old 7th January 2020
Here for the gear

Interesting question. I'd assume the home studio market is getting bigger based on market research looking at production software. Projections are 9% compounded annual growth through 2022 (A little old, but: https://audioxpress.com/news/global-...ext-five-years). Not sure if that report includes plugins, which I have to image are tough to track sales data from, but I'd guess they follow the overall market pretty closes or could even be a leading sector in the market. Of course, I'm not looking into it far enough to draw anything conclusive (ie maybe that growth is being driven from a pretty small base, or perhaps there were down years leading up). But overall, I think better availability of gear (ecomm), lower costs for higher quality gear (reduced barrier to enter) and the swelling demand for music from steaming sites/YouTube/social media, ect. (this might go back to what OP said about everyone thinking they are going to break though the noise) are helping drive the market.

Add in the availability of information online, I think anyone with even a passing interests could study up on it much easier then they could in '89 when you got your first four track, or even in '98 when I got my first four track. I mean, was the term "bedroom producer" even a thing up until the past decade.

As for declines in recording websites/forums, I can't really speak/quantize that, but I imagine that communities on Facebook or Reddit, just as examples I've experienced, might be eating into those user bases. Reddit has a few active production/gear subs and The Awesome Cheap Guitars page, or whatever it is called, on Facebook was pretty great when I was using the platform.
Old 8th January 2020
It might be that everyone just went to gearslutz. I used to hang out at a couple of forums but only come here these days.
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
How long has home recording been an option? I solely hate that people confuse bedroom studio recordings w/professional i.e. tracked in a commercial studio, etc. output.

Home recording really started up with the development of the Teac 10" reel simul-sinc Dolby recorders around 1973. Michael Bloomfield bought one to have at his house in California that he used extensively to capture tracks when outside the studio. I lived up from Venice Beach for a couple of years in Culver City back then and bought a new Teac reel to reel like this and stacked a new Akai 6" reel to reel on top of it when I moved to Chicago in '76. I was 23 years old at the time. This was the first home gear that you could do anything substantial with.
Old 9th January 2020
Some of the excitement that swept over the music world from 2000-2006 over the possibilities that home recording offered has clearly subsided. Many of the people who hoped that they would not need the services of a professional studio came to realize their own limitations — and I would include myself in that category. But who cares? I make my living in law, not music. Having a home recording studio to record my band and my own personal projects with excellent gear is a hell of a lot of fun. People buy boats to have fun. I buy gear, not boats. Still, you don't have to be a professional fisherman to own a good boat and use it. The home recording market is here to stay, but if you hope to be a professional musician, you need the help of the pros. The good thing about home studios is that you can produce high quality demos, certainly better than what you got with a Portastudio in the 90s. And for local aging rock stars who missed the boat on fame (pardon the pun), a home studio rules.
Old 9th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9xSound View Post
Some of the excitement that swept over the music world from 2000-2006 over the possibilities that home recording offered has clearly subsided. Many of the people who hoped that they would not need the services of a professional studio came to realize their own limitations — and I would include myself in that category.
I'd counter that by introducing you to about 4000 youtube channels where every man and his dog wants to be the next Graham Cochrane making sweet stacks off hives of home recording rubes using the Gra Gra business model. The saturation...the fever...the excitement of home recording carny barking on youtube is off the hook!

Then again...I suppose carny barking for anything and everything is off the hook on youtube.

Old 9th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I'd counter that by introducing you to about 4000 youtube channels where every man and his dog wants to be the next Graham Cochrane making sweet stacks off hives of home recording rubes using the Gra Gra business model. The saturation...the fever...the excitement of home recording carny barking on youtube is off the hook!

Then again...I suppose carny barking for anything and everything is off the hook on youtube.
LOL. Yeah, that's true! I'm not sure 3999 abject failures for every 1 success story is much of a business model, though. It's more like an online resume. That said, I've found some of the best darned original music buried deep in the dark halls of forums like Gearslutz from complete unknowns who never had a hit. There really is a divide between hit songs and great music. The former requires a machine and a certain charisma. The latter just requires some talent and a microphone.

Okay, that's an oversimplification.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search