The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vinyl albums are hot sellers again, expected to outpace CDs this year
Old 5th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
CD sales are dropping and vinyl records are expected to outsell CDs for the first time since 1986.

Rick Sanchez is the manager at Amoeba records. He says "2013 was really the tipping point. Literally overnight the holiday season vinyl exploded and it's just been on a roller coaster ever since rolling, rolling and gaining speed."
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

I have to say, I wish albums never went away. Certainly CD's were a bit more convenient as you could play them at home and in your car.

That said, I repurchased most of my albums as CD's so there is simply no way I am going to go back to albums although if I win Mega Millions I will.

I am glad to see LP's making a come back even if I have no intention of participating.

And at my age I bet the liner notes are a little easier to read than they are on CD's!
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Guru

I've never given up on records.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl albums are hot sellers again, expected to outpace CDs this year-record-collection.jpg  
Old 7th January 2020
I still have my collection, over 40 years worth of vinyl.
Old 7th January 2020
Lives for gear

I have to say I have had vinyl since the 80s, but I did stop buying new vinyl and mostly bought cds instead starting in the mid 90s.

However, for the last few years, 99% of what I buy is vinyl. That amounts to two to three new records per month. I fire up the turntable when I want to listen to music. I rarely listen to music in the car or on the go. Last month I bought new copies of "Exile on Main Street", "Sticky Fingers", and "It's Too Late to Stop Now". I do buy vinyl by some new indy acts like Wand and Dr Dog. I think I have everything by Deehoof and the Secret Machines on vinyl also. Shiner and The Life and Times are two bands with the same lead singer/songwriter/guitarist and I have everything they have released on vinyl.

That said, I do wish including a free digital download was still a thing. The vast majority of records I buy these days don't bother with free digital download, I guess because they assume the digital version has already been pirated?

Last edited by Dr. Mordo; 7th January 2020 at 06:14 AM..
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Guru

I’ve recoded most of my records onto CD’s and loaded them onto the hard drive in my car years ago. And recently put them all on my IPhone. Sadly converted to MP3’s on the phone, all those wav. files too big.
Old 13th January 2020
MMMMMM-YUMMY,... Vinyl,... so groovy. Have not stopped spinning the records since the early 70's. Good to see a new generation reviving the warmth of analog. Nothing like sitting in front of a great set of speakers while you look at the cover art and read the liner notes as the music flows from the stylus through a well engineered tube amplifier.

I grew up in the era that had us using the old 8 track cartridges in our cars,.. but, I think I'm going to get me one of those there ' Highway Hi-Fi Phonographs' that they had before my generation. There just has to be a way.
Attached Thumbnails
Vinyl albums are hot sellers again, expected to outpace CDs this year-1.car-record-player.jpg   Vinyl albums are hot sellers again, expected to outpace CDs this year-2.car-record-player.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search