The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how can you hear tiny differences but can’t identify obvious ones ?
Old 25th December 2019
Lives for gear

how can you hear tiny differences but can’t identify obvious ones ?

How is that that many here post how they can hear tiny differences in sound, like 44.1k vs 96k , or difference between 2 vintage 1073 preamps, or some even claim they can hear differences in cables, etc.
But no-one can ever identity what snare, or bass guitar or reverb etc was used on anything ?
Old 25th December 2019
Lives for gear

Hearing a difference in a comparison is something entirely different than recognising what you hear and label it correctly. When I listen to choral recordings that I made of people I know well, I can easily spot who is singing what. But someone else will probably not be able to identify those individuals, simply because he/she does not know their voices that well. And when you know a certain instrument well it is also quite easy to hear in a recording if it is used or not. Your premise is actually incorrect, I think.

A visual analogy: not being able to tell exactly what color something has does not mean you cannot see if two patches of color are the same or not.
Old 26th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 View Post
How is that that many here post how they can hear tiny differences in sound, like 44.1k vs 96k , or difference between 2 vintage 1073 preamps, or some even claim they can hear differences in cables, etc.
But no-one can ever identity what snare, or bass guitar or reverb etc was used on anything ?
I can sometimes spot which softsynth or sample library has been used. Or hear a P Bass as opposed to J.

Then there's snares, one can at least tell if it's wood or metal on occasion.

I can usually sense if the vocal was cut on a 47 as it has that signature reedy mid push.

Or spot a D18 for its mahogany woody tone.

Not all the time, but things do stand out to me very often, well at least in categories if not down to model numbers.
Old 27th December 2019
Because most people are full of hot air?

But it's also having a point of reference. Your example doesn't really hold water though. Most guitarists could identify humbuckers or single coils; Most drummers who might own a particular snare might be able to identify it, if it's particularly distinctive

BUT - a recorded snare can be tuned differently, EQ'd, sample replaced or enhanced...of course you can't start to guess what was used a lot of the time.

People attempting to differentiate eg 44.1 vs 96k are presumably doing it under test conditions. Pretty sure I could identify eg strat vs LP vs Rickenbacker if I'm played 3 examples and asked to name them....regardless of the rest of the chain!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search