The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Produce Like a Pro... WTF gives, Warren?
Old 3 weeks ago
Produce Like a Pro... WTF gives, Warren?

I truly love the work Warren’s done on his YouTube channel, but, have noticed a definite turn of late away from the detailed “how to” content towards a more unboxing, “review” and giveaway marketing/advertising channel. This bums me out. Not because I feel personally cut off from Yoda or anything; rather, that I feel it deprives the youngsters from a valuable resource. I suppose they can dig deep on the old vids...

*Also, for the love of all which is holy, what in the hell is the deal with the synergy cross-promotion with Glenn Fricker? First, with all of the cats in Los Angeles in Warren’s Rolodex I don’t get why he chose to import Fricker from Canada... is fricker’s YouTube channel so big that it brings THAT many eyeballs to Warren’s business? Aside from that, unable/prevented to do his cursing schtick, Warren’s vids with Fricker look like a hostage videos, or like Warren was forced to bring his wife’s super awkward nephew who’s “really into music, too” to work that day.

Super weird and awkward, right??? What does Warren get from this partnership?

*Full disclosure: Fricker bugs me. A lot. I don’t “get” him at all. The entirety of his professional signature appears to be his fondness for saying f*ck, a lot.

And, yes, I’m aware that I’m an elitist c#nt for writing this I suppose... but, I truly dig Warren and I respectfully think this stuff cheapens his brand. Fricker, on the other hand, just smells like a know it all jackass who works at Guitar Center and can f^ck off back to Canada and continue recording local metal bands.

Rant complete.

Last edited by bgood; 3 weeks ago at 01:48 AM.. Reason: Sp
Old 1 day ago
I personally have not seen much of his stuff but anyone who has that much time to teach is basically going to transform into someone who falls into the category of, 'those who don't do teach' and then into, 'those who are popular on YouTube just get paid to review stuff they don't use but know about'.

It's hard to take any paid review seriously. There very are a few people on YouTube like Linus from Linus Tech Tips that will sometimes attack the brand that is paying him because he's just so big that they will send him stuff to review again because he doesn't always dis a product of theirs and they need him sometimes. But there are only a handful of people on YouTube like that and those are the people who became 'YouTube famous' early on. Pretty much everyone else will just lie to get a paycheck. If there is a flaw in a product, you can bet they're not going to tell you.

I get what you're saying. He's clearly a decent business man/marketer and he's trying to cash in on that. Perhaps he'd be better off just doing commercials and reviews on other people's channels. It's understandable that people will get annoyed. Reviews is where the money is though.

The biggest problem I have with people teaching online is that if they are too popular, they don't have time to do what they teach. There are a few pro engineers and producers on YouTube that put videos one a month or every two months. They're not popular though because the way YouTube and social media works is you have to put out multiple videos per week to become and stay popular. If you're doing videos all week, you're no longer doing the field that you're an expert in and then you just become an expert at doing videos. Doing a few videos a week is a full time job for one person once you factor in script writing and post. Once you become more popular, people expect higher standard videos.

For example, Linus from Linus Tech Tips has about 30 people per week helping create his 12 videos per week. If you're doing it yourself, it quickly becomes a full time job. If making videos is your full time job, it become more about getting money from making videos than it is about creating quality content. So that is what you're seeing.

So my suggestion would be to find people on YouTube that are professionals that don't put out many videos. You'll get better quality content.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search