The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does this just seem sleazy to anyone else?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does this just seem sleazy to anyone else?

I got this message via the studio instagram today. Universal Audio made a post about the new Apollo X series and I commented on the photo something along the lines of "Waiting for mine to show up!". A few minutes later, I get a message from someone that works for a really well known Pro Audio dealer basically asking me to send back what I got and they would give me a better price.

Does this just seem in poor taste to anyone else? I'm very old school when it comes to business practice, all I could think about as I blocked him was my parents and grandparents teaching me the "shake on it" mentality. Once you agree on something, a deal is a deal. Even if he quoted me something significantly cheaper, I still wouldn't have done it.

At any rate, I'm not going to publicly bash anyone on here. Needless to say, I have bought a few things from these guys in the past and will not be anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Does this just seem sleazy to anyone else?-edited-sales.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmv View Post
I got this message via the studio instagram today. Universal Audio made a post about the new Apollo X series and I commented on the photo something along the lines of "Waiting for mine to show up!". A few minutes later, I get a message from someone that works for a really well known Pro Audio dealer basically asking me to send back what I got and they would give me a better price.

Does this just seem in poor taste to anyone else? I'm very old school when it comes to business practice, all I could think about as I blocked him was my dad and grandparents teaching me the "shake on it" mentality. Once you agree on something, a deal is a deal. Even if he quoted me something significantly cheaper, I still wouldn't have done it.

At any rate, I'm not going to publicly bash anyone on here. Needless to say, I have bought a few things from these guys in the past and will not be anymore.

Apart from the objectively unethical salesmanship, I’d personally would not take anyone who uses the plural “stuffs” seriously.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is the new world... which resembles the old one before order and ethics came into play...

Color me not surprised that this doesn’t happen more often
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

You did the right thing. I applaud your ethics. How's the studio fee thing working out?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
Apart from the objectively unethical salesmanship, I’d personally would not take anyone who uses the plural “stuffs” seriously.
I looked the person up to make sure they actually worked there thinking it might be a scam (I agree with you regardless). Not that my grammar was perfect in the exchange by any means, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
You did the right thing. I applaud your ethics. How's the studio fee thing working out?
It's gone really well overall. I'll probably make a post sometime next year talking about it in detail, but much better than I expected!
Old 1 week ago
IF the original vendor had already blown their promised delivery date by a significant delay, I'd say that would free the buyer up to possibly make other arrangements. That said, I applaud your loyalty to your vendor. I've developed relationships with key vendors and I think they can be good to nurture -- for both parties.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I'm the same way - ethics is everything.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

I'm right there with you Anders! If he had said something like "we have that item in stock," and left it at that it would be different. I do not like him encouraging you to return items so he can snipe you as a client.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I'm right there with you Anders! If he had said something like "we have that item in stock," and left it at that it would be different. I do not like him encouraging you to return items so he can snipe you as a client.
Not going to lie. I was tempted to order something big from him and return it at the maximum cutoff date...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Does this just seem in poor taste to anyone else? I'm very old school when it comes to business practice, all I could think about as I blocked him was my parents and grandparents teaching me the "shake on it" mentality. Once you agree on something, a deal is a deal..
It's not old school, it's smart school. A handshake is as good as a signed contract for those who know how to run a successful business. One publisher I worked with for years, we had no written agreements after a while, just said over the phone "same terms as the last contract?" "sounds good." And that was it. You are on the right track to success.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwave View Post
Heh, I personally would not take anyone who uses the term “would you buy it to me” seriously.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not going to lie. I was tempted to order something big from him and return it at the maximum cutoff date...
I see the temptation in that too.
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

As a seller he did the right thing, but definitelly f-ed up the way he phrased his intention. Way too pushy, scarred the client away, I doubt he should continue doing what he thinks he's doing.
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiPiatra View Post
As a seller he did the right thing, but definitelly f-ed up the way he phrased his intention. Way too pushy, scarred the client away, I doubt he should continue doing what he thinks he's doing.
Hmmmm...not sure I'd agree that, as a seller, he did the right thing. In fact, I'd say he did the wrong thing entirely and, to my mind, marked his own card as something of a money-grubbing arsehole.

Any seller who did that to me would be unlikely to be selling me anything. Ever.

Last edited by adrianww; 3 hours ago at 05:34 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww View Post
Hmmmm...not sure I'd agree that, as a seller, he did the right thing. In fact, I'd say he did the wrong thing entirely and, to my mind, marked his own card as something of a money-grubbing arsehole.

Any seller who did that to me would be unlikely to be selling me anything. Ever.
As a client I couldn't care less about ethics when we talk about tools and money. You're offering me the same thing, but cheaper? Ok, let's talk about it. If I were to sell you a car and in your way to pick it up someone tells you that you can have the same thing but 5% cheaper would you really turn down that offer? I wouldn't. But if you were a pathetic, pushy, aggressive seller...I might.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search