The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Purism Librem 5
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Purism Librem 5

I hophe this thread is allowed cause it's technically gear

anyone already got one of these Librem Phones, or planning to get one?
https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

I think of getting one. I still use an old Nokia...
Old 3 weeks ago
Very interesting!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Librem_5

This passage [quoted below] from the company website you posted above goes to the heart of how well such a device might work for someone. (But I have to say coming from a not-so-smart phone might be the most painless transition, since you won't already be accustomed to having app stores filled with apps that range from near-vital to complete time-wastes to worse...)

Quote:
Upon initial shipment of the Librem 5 in 2019, it will offer the essentials: phone functionality, email, messaging, voice, camera, browsing. The featureset will expand after shipment and over time to more free software applications. Your user experience will improve as we incrementally add commonly requested applications and features (such as calendaring, notes, calculator, PDF viewer, etc.) while keeping performance in mind.
Anyone familiar with software development teams and cycles probably understands that an open software ecosystem with a large, active user base will tend to be fertile ground for a wide range of developers. But when dev occurs in-house with relatively small teams of developers, even concentrated focus on ONE particular solution for a given problem may not be sufficient to offer competitive applications in a timely manner. And -- after all -- aren't they talking about shipping product with just a minimal suite of 'essential' apps at the start? Beyond that, it's a matter of faith...

One CAN get a kind of (limited) snapshot view of how things are going by following a given company's updates; here are the latest from the Purism site:
https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-septe...ftware-update/
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hope it will be a success
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by memristor View Post
I hope it will be a success
You bet.

That said, there've been a few similar market overtures but none seem to have caught on... It's very hard to reach a market-ready price point without the economy-of-scale afforded by successful penetration of mass markets.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search