The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any POMS want to gloat about the 3rd Ashes Test?
Old 26th August 2019
  #1
Gear Addict
 
stixstudios's Avatar
Any POMS want to gloat about the 3rd Ashes Test?

I'm an Aussie. We screwed up for sure, but Stokes effort cannot be denied.

That was the best game of Test Match Cricket I've ever watched!!!! Except for the fact that England won...

[EDIT]
Sorry, the 3rd Test. Can't seem to edit the title??..

Last edited by stixstudios; 26th August 2019 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Unknown.
Old 29th August 2019
  #2
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

No gloating. Not until the urn is where it rightfully belongs...

Ben Stokes has now had two “innings of a lifetime” in 6 weeks.

Bring on Archer and Anderson vs Smith and Labuschagne (forgive spelling)
Old 29th August 2019
  #3
Gear Addict
 
stixstudios's Avatar
What a formidable foe is Archer! Fantastic to watch him bowl.

I'm a WOG (Greek) Aussie, and pathetic at playing the game. I got into cricket via the one-day format, then I got sucked into watching Test Cricket.

I dropped out of watching cricket last year when the "sand-paper" scandal happened. Disgraceful conduct, and I still find it hard to get over it. I still find it difficult to accept. I hate that they did that. Cheating is always bad.

I suppose one could ponder the question of Smith's almost knockout blow, delivered by Archer, as being "comeuppance"??

I'm looking forward to the next battle at ummmm... dunno "Old Trafford"?? according to the fixture that I saw.

I love a game that potentially takes 5 days to resolve. A true game of attrition. You know what I mean...?

Go Aussies
Old 29th August 2019
  #4
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

Imagine the summer my 11-year old fast bowler son is having- World Cup and now the ashes... just like me watching Botham in 1981 turn the ashes at Headingly as a 7-year old.

Can’t beat the Ashes.
Far superior to Baseball (cue flames)
Old 29th August 2019
  #5
Gear Addict
 
stixstudios's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
... Far superior to Baseball (cue flames)
Agreed, Indeed.
Old 31st August 2019
  #6
Moved because a) not audio related and b) I don’t see what there is to moan about
Old 31st August 2019
  #7
Gear Addict
 
stixstudios's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Moved because a) not audio related and b) I don’t see what there is to moan about
Yep. I agree with "a" but not "b"

[EDIT]: BTW. psycho_monkey, thanks for fixing the error in the title.

Syndey via London??
I guess you have the best of both worlds

Last edited by stixstudios; 31st August 2019 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Thanks.
Old 1st September 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Can't wait for the 4th test.

Hope Smithy's got his edge back by then and isn't "dazed" in the slightest.

Just like "everyone else", I was convinced the Aussies had it in the bag when the Poms started batting. Definitely the most-epic comeback I've seen in tests, at least that I can remember.

Last edited by Monkey Man; 4 weeks ago at 08:57 PM.. Reason: Keep forgetting to spell Pom with a capital letter
Old 1st September 2019
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
Yep. I agree with "a" but not "b"

[EDIT]: BTW. psycho_monkey, thanks for fixing the error in the title.

Syndey via London??
I guess you have the best of both worlds
I’m English but married a (sport hating) Aussie and moved over here

I’m not even that into cricket; it’s just nice not being kicked at a game we invented for a change.
Old 1st September 2019
  #10
Since the 3rd Test I've successfully blocked cricket from my mind completely. I'm not sure I have the strength to watch the 4th Test at all. That loss did something to me psychologically that I'm not sure I'll ever recover from. Well, winning the Ashes would go some way to making that 3rd Test all go away...but I can not see that happening after what...happened...I've felt physically sick since what...what...happened...

Old 1st September 2019
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Imagine how the Poms felt all those years, mate.

They've already gotten over it by and large. You will too!

Last edited by Monkey Man; 4 weeks ago at 08:58 PM.. Reason: Keep forgetting to spell Pom with a capital letter
Old 1st September 2019
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Imagine how the poms felt all those years, mate.

They've already gotten over it by and large. You will too!
I hear ya. But that was a devastating loss. It was like a slow, waking nightmare. One of the all time great losses.

Winning the Ashes will make it go away. But I can't see Australia getting themselves up off the floor after that.

Still...cricket is a funny old game.
Old 2nd September 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Indeed it is.

Yeah, that was a slow burn that night for sure, thinking, "they couldn't, could they?".

The uncharacteristic fumbles when critical wickets were gifted to us made the whole affair all-the-more ridiculous.

We'll get over it, you and I; let's just hope the team's already put it behind it by-and-large, 'cause if it hasn't the boys are gonna feel weak in the knees as soon as the pressure's on.
Old 6th September 2019
  #14
Rain around for day 3. Not good.

Steve Smith! What form!
Old 6th September 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Yup. The rain could save the Poms.

5 for 200 at the end of play so the only hope for the Aussies might be to go hard at it and try to force a follow-on, then keep the Poms to a low-enough score to win outright or through a blitzin' 2nd-innings slog.

If Steve keeps this up his test average is gonna be insane. His Ashes record is already amazing. Been a huge fan of his batting since he chose to focus on it rather than his bowling back in the day. I love watching him bat and will never forget or take these days for granted that he's here, now. Easily the most-interesting / entertaining batsman I've ever seen.

So far this series the only way to get him out is... to wait 'til he runs out of partners and slogs himself out. Even knocking him out with the ball doesn't get him out!

Last edited by Monkey Man; 4 weeks ago at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Keep forgetting to spell Pom with a capital letter
Old 8th September 2019
  #16
Very impressed with Australia in this Test. To bounce back from the Stokes incident is great to see.

Now Stokes is gone, England 4/87 and the Ashes nearly in reach...

C'mon Aussie c'mon

Old 8th September 2019
  #17
Gear Addict
 
stixstudios's Avatar
5/93

Dare I say things are looking good for us Aussies.
Old 8th September 2019
  #18
England hanging on. Pitch isn't playing too many tricks. 4 wickets might be hard to get here. Still, 1 will open things up.
Old 8th September 2019
  #19
Gear Addict
 
stixstudios's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
England hanging on. Pitch isn't playing too many tricks. 4 wickets might be hard to get here. Still, 1 will open things up.
Your prediction may well come true. 8/173 with 29 overs to go.
Old 8th September 2019
  #20
Solid State Logic
 
Jim@SSL's Avatar
 

Watch your reviews chaps...
Only 1 left
Old 8th September 2019
  #21
Gear Addict
 
stixstudios's Avatar
9/196 with 15 overs to go.

It would be very impressive if you guys can hold on.
Old 8th September 2019
  #22
Australia win! Well played all. First time in 18 years in England. No Stokes miracle this game.

2 - 1 Australia. They'll be keen to take the series in the last Test.

Old 8th September 2019
  #23
Gear Addict
 
stixstudios's Avatar
Yippeeeee

Great cricket all round.
Old 8th September 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Yet again Steve got himself out yesterday by lashing out and taking one for the team when it was decided that it'd be best to have a quick slog and declare, allowing a quick bowling stint at the end of the day to try to make some inroads into the Poms' top order. So many champions are selfish in the way they play, favouring their own statistics over the successes of their teams, but not our Steve. He was only 18 runs short of another consecutive-tonne record. Champion!

Wuddun, Aussies. Now, will we go with the left-handed openers or be daring? I predict that the selectors will stick with Warner et al seeing as they'll only have to face Broad for two more innings.

Last edited by Monkey Man; 4 weeks ago at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Keep forgetting to spell Pom with a capital letter
Old 9th September 2019
  #25
The nightmare of Headingley seems like just a bad dream now

Old 9th September 2019
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Indeed.

For bowlers, we're set, but we still need some more batsmen. If you take Steve out of the equation, we only really have Warner (when he's not facing Broad) and Labuschagne.

I'm saying this 'cause technically we're a good side with flaws, and the Poms are a good side with more flaws. Neither IMHO is a great side, which is what we're all aiming for of course.

Last edited by Monkey Man; 4 weeks ago at 09:03 PM.. Reason: Keep forgetting to spell Pom with a capital letter
Old 9th September 2019
  #27
Yeah both sides were pretty much billed before the series as quite evenly matched. England unlucky to lose Anderson. Australia struggling with Warner missing in action...and as you say, the rest of the batsmen (bar Smith) are inconsistent.

Hope they can take the series in the 5th
Old 9th September 2019
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

Yeah, that'd be good for their confidence I reckon.

To be fair, Labuschagne's the only one who's been consistently-good besides Steve.

Warner's been consistent, but in the wrong way.
Old 9th September 2019
  #29
Yeah Labuschange has done very well.
Old 10th September 2019
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Monkey Man's Avatar
 

He took the breakthrough wicket on the final day too.

I like his attitude, and he values his wicket. This is something I feel has been missing from the Aussie team ever since Warner et al entered the fray with their "new-breed" attitude of slogging from the get-go.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump