The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any POMS want to gloat about the 3rd Ashes Test?
Old 10th September 2019
Hard to be a fan of Bancroft...he's had so many chances. Head played alright in the first test or so. Khawaja's just too inconsistent...etc same with the rest basically. Was never really a fan of those Marsh brothers either. Their old man was one of my favs back in the day. But those brothers have been given so, so many chances and fail more often than not. Either that or they're injured. So happy to see neither of them playing.

We need fellas in there batting who really value their wicket like you said. Even if they scrape and scrap a 30 odd. I remember Alan Border when the team was really in the doldrums...he was a tough bugger to get out. That's exactly what he used to do...scrap and fight for runs. Great player AB!
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, just like Steve Waugh; he fought tooth-and-nail, that dude.

100% agree about Bancroft, Head and the bros. Marsh.

His name escapes me now, but the fella who consistently got starts in the middle order during the 1-day World Cup might make a good first inclusion IMHO. I think he was given a go during the test series but may well have been placed too high up the order. We need to fatten up the middle order and openers, both categories of which need to be more-resilient; the tail always seems to find a way to wag, and besides, best to leave the great bowlers we have in-place.

All just MHO of course; I'm no expert - I've only watched and listened to the game for 30 years.

PS
Whilst I'm pontificating, I've wished for a long time that our bowlers would get back to a full length. Playing funny-buggers all the time with bouncers is like giving runs (and extras) away and also wastes time, energy and deliveries. Full-length in the blockhole or on or just outside off stump maximises chances and minimises runs, if for no other reason than it's hard to set fields for friggin' bouncers.
Old 10th September 2019
Yeah are you talking about Carey? The world cup keeper? I thought he played pretty well in the WC. As for the bowlers there's a time and place for all kinds of short stuff or whatever but the likes of McGrath sure got their wickets by hitting the top of off stump on that come forward/ go back length.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

I just remembered, I think it was Harris, but in the middle order and not as an opener.

Yeah, the way I see it is if you're bowling with-pace, as our boys do, you shouldn't have to bowl so many bouncers 'cause you're gonna be pushing them back into and behind the crease anyway.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

What a breath of fresh air Labuschagne is. To think that he only came in when Smith was rendered almost unconscious!!. Labuschagne has taken his opportunity with gusto.

I do hope that Warner gets back on track. His obvious guilt with the "ball-tampering" affair (and likely the main ring-leader with Bancroft) is playing on his mind. Well, we all make screw-ups, and then you learn, and then you just get on with it.

I still can't believe how stupid they were thinking they could get away with it, especially considering that Cricket has some of the best camera technology and scrutiny in any sport. Silly indeed.

I'm looking forward to the next test. Both teams still have something to prove. Let the "battle of wills" continue.
Old 10th September 2019
Yep, Labuschagne took his chance very nicely and I hope he goes up and up.

Warner was quite good in the World Cup...looked like he wasn't feeling the pressure of his indiscretion. But in the Tests...yeah no good. I hope he comes good in the last Test.

The ball tampering was terrible...but I think it's a pretty open secret that balls get tampered with...2005 mints, for example. But to take sandpaper out onto the field...in your pants/ pocket...that's all time dumb stuff. The thing I heard with the Smith, Bancroft, Warner incident was that South Africa basically set up a sting to catch them out after some 'interesting' ball behaviour in the air in prior Tests. The South African players and or management had the South African TV cameramen focus in with great attention on the ball as it went round the field, player to player etc...to the extent that high zoom was zeroing in on the ball in players hands...and they got done. The Australians were just brazen, probably with the idea that a bit of ball tampering was just 'what you do'. And by in large it is...or was. Teams have likely toned that down now.

When all the scandal aired and the sentences were passed and all that, and the cricket world was in "shock"...the elephant in the room was that ball tampering is very common in cricket...bottle caps, thumb nails, mints, shoe spikes...all kinds of stuff has gone on around the world to mess with the ball without it being blatant. But no team was ever dumb enough to actually take sandpaper out on the field and have a player try to squirrel it away in his pants. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So anyway, they served their time. I'm sure Bancroft is a lovely guy and all that, but I won't miss the guy. I've never seen him look like he's enjoying even a second of being out there playing a game. That and he just doesn't make runs.

Looking forward to the next Test too. Will be sad to see the Ashes finish up. Still...the Rugby World Cup's starting soon...
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Yep, Labuschagne took his chance very nicely and I hope he goes up and up.

Warner was quite good in the World Cup...looked like he wasn't feeling the pressure of his indiscretion. But in the Tests...yeah no good. I hope he comes good in the last Test.

The ball tampering was terrible...but I think it's a pretty open secret that balls get tampered with...2005 mints, for example. But to take sandpaper out onto the field...in your pants/ pocket...that's all time dumb stuff. The thing I heard with the Smith, Bancroft, Warner incident was that South Africa basically set up a sting to catch them out after some 'interesting' ball behaviour in the air in prior Tests. The South African players and or management had the South African TV cameramen focus in with great attention on the ball as it went round the field, player to player etc...to the extent that high zoom was zeroing in on the ball in players hands...and they got done. The Australians were just brazen, probably with the idea that a bit of ball tampering was just 'what you do'. And by in large it is...or was. Teams have likely toned that down now.

When all the scandal aired and the sentences were passed and all that, and the cricket world was in "shock"...the elephant in the room was that ball tampering is very common in cricket...bottle caps, thumb nails, mints, shoe spikes...all kinds of stuff has gone on around the world to mess with the ball without it being blatant. But no team was ever dumb enough to actually take sandpaper out on the field and have a player try to squirrel it away in his pants. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So anyway, they served their time. I'm sure Bancroft is a lovely guy and all that, but I won't miss the guy. I've never seen him look like he's enjoying even a second of being out there playing a game. That and he just doesn't make runs.

Looking forward to the next Test too. Will be sad to see the Ashes finish up. Still...the Rugby World Cup's starting soon...
Thanks, I've never heard that story about a "sting" operation. Wouldn't surprise me though. I do like watching sports, but I'm not a rugby fan.
Old 11th September 2019
Solid State Logic

Well played Aussies.
This series has been a long way from hitting the heights of consistent skill(except Smith obviously), but my word it has been one of the most exciting!
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

Indeed, Jim; I can't remember having this much fun watching an Ashes series ever before.

Hello people, very-well said, matey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
What a breath of fresh air Labuschagne is.
Yes, this is why I said I'd consider him a fixture in the middle-to-upper order now (already). Great attitude, prizes his wicket and can bowl too. He's literally a blessing out of the blue.

I may be a bit biased 'cause I'm South African born too and moved out here at a similar age to him, but geez man, the kid's got talent, integrity and balls. Remember how he bounced back up after getting hit in the third test (I think it was the third)?

Both teams obviously still have some building to do, but at least we've got our bowlers sorted and Smith and Labuschagne are an awesome foundation to build our batting on IMHO. Just need at least one right-handed opener and for Warner to get his mojo back and we'll be well on our way. Please 'though, no more Marsh brothers!
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

One of the Marsh brothers has been called up for the fifth test.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
One of the Marsh brothers has been called up for the fifth test.
Yep. Obviously it was all your fault by mentioning it in a previous post.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Guilty as charged.
Old 12th September 2019
Quote:
Yep. Obviously it was all your fault by mentioning it in a previous post.
Funny the way things work out!

But how's that... a historic Ashes win on English soil...first time in 18 years...Head playing well in the first two tests, part of the victorious unit...and he gets dropped for one of the damn Marsh brothers. He has fair claim to be pretty pissed off I'd say.

But of course 'the group' will justify it all because The Oval pitch needs a Marsh brother to play on it don't you know!

Geez, I was reading the article of the Head dropping waiting for it to say he'd sustained an injury or something. Nope. They've just canned the guy to bring in this dimwit Marsh.

Marsh'll probably go on to make a hundred now

Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

The Marsh brothers are from WA IIRC, so Langer's perceived bias might well have come into play again.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Addict

I wonder if will be reported in the wider media that his selection didn't go down too well with some members of gearslutz!!
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Old 12th September 2019
Quote:
I wonder if will be reported in the wider media that his selection didn't go down too well with some members of gearslutz!!
Haha...oh for sure mate!
Old 12th September 2019
I wasn't going to say anything but Siddle just dropped an absolute dolly at fine leg. I say so because I agree with Warne in commentary...if they've picked that idiot Marsh...why pick Siddle. They are basically the same bowler. Military medium.

Siddle hasn't bowled well so far and here he is dropping a rank sitter at fine leg off Cummins.

Terrible

Old 12th September 2019
Gear Addict

Having never really played the game myself and I'm certainly no expert, but I reckon even I could have caught that one.

I really do enjoy Warnes commentary and analysis. I like the way he explains what's going on.
Old 12th September 2019
You're from England right, Mr Stix?

Yep, even I could have caught that one. And now Root 66 is on 30 odd.

Pain dropped a hesitant looking chance...should have been caught and Smith just put one down too.
Old 12th September 2019
Roughly 3 downed catches and a wicket off a no-ball so far. Pretty average in the field Australia. They're probably all half drunk still
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

I felt we were entering the test with a 2nd-string bowling attack and still do, even 'though Marsh took 4 friggin' wickets. IMHO the attack lacks teeth, so the batsmen are gonna have to perform really-well in order to compensate for it.

I don't understand why you wouldn't put your best-possible team on the field. Just 'cause the urn has been retained doesn't negate the fact that statistically bowlers perform better in the long run if they play and aren't relegated to the sidelines, Cummins' being an obvious example.

My feeling right now is that if the Aussies win this one it'll be a let-off by the Pom team and if we win well it'll either be a fluke or due to one or two outstanding batting stints by Smith and/or Labuschagne, but of course it's early days...

Last edited by Monkey Man; 14th September 2019 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Keep forgetting to spell Pom with a capital letter
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Well, it looks like my judgements and speculation were spot-on!

Many would agree that Pattinson should've been used instead of Siddle, but I'd have taken it a step further and included Stark as well for his ability to clean up the tail. IOW, our 4 best pace bowlers. England predictably made hay while the sun shone, which was every time Cummins and Hazelwood came off for Siddle and Marsh. If it'd been Stark and Pattinson, the pressure to score would've been unbearable for the Poms.

Lyon's been terrible by his standards, so we could've omitted him and still included Marsh as he's a better batsman and could be employed as 2nd-string relief for any of the quicks should they require it.

If spin were suddenly to appear necessary we could turn to Smith and... you guessed it, Labuschagne, in a pinch. IMHO 'though, our inability to get anywhere near as many revolutions on the ball as Leach has managed to this series has been our spin-bowling Achilles heal. I get the feeling that facing Leach in the nets has helped the Poms tremendously when it comes to facing Lyon 'cause let's face it, he hasn't been the WMD that was expected entering the series.

Last edited by Monkey Man; 14th September 2019 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Keep forgetting to spell Pom with a capital letter
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Addict

Fair call Monkey.

But who knows what the future holds - only a fool would say. Still 2 days left and any result is still possible.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Indeed, but as I said at the start:

"IMHO the attack lacks teeth, so the batsmen are gonna have to perform really-well in order to compensate for it."

... and

"My feeling right now is that if the Aussies win this one it'll be a let-off by the Pom team and if we win well it'll either be a fluke or due to one or two outstanding batting stints by Smith and/or Labuschagne..."

IOW, I still feel that either a poor bowling effort by the Poms (the "let-off" I spoke of) and / or that "outstanding batting stint by Smith and/or Labuschagne" are our only hope, Obi-Wan.

Last edited by Monkey Man; 14th September 2019 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Keep forgetting to spell Pom with a capital letter
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, they both failed so it was up to Wade, and boy did he try. Funny game, cricket.

I must say I've been impressed with Wade's new-found valuing of his wicket. Back in the day I had zero faith in him as a batsman 'cause he resorted to slogging most of the time. I now look forward to watching him nut it out for the Aussies.

Well done, Matthew!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

At least we retained the Ashes
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thank God!

We really needed that for our confidence overall I feel; the past few years have seen an almost-unprecedented decline in our form, ability and ranking.
Old 3 weeks ago
Solid State Logic

Didn't win the series though did you.......

(no sour grapes here, honest)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

True, Jim.

You guys put up a great fight overall. In fact, I can't say I ever see the Poms fire up the way you do against the Aussies when you play other teams.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search